• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Anyone support a lower league team?

B

Black-Monday

I myself am a Stockport County Fan, many of you may not know this but Sale camp in County's ground. Anyway, I meet so many people who 'support' Manure and Shitty Citeh because it is well more 'convenient'.

So I was just wondering if anyone shares the same experiences as me, playing at 3pm on a saturday :eek: and the thrills and spills of being on the terraces of Hereford United in the rain, to being on the banks of the moss rose in the beaming sun watching your team lose 2-0.

I still may watch my team play at Wembley though, I just hope it is cheap.

BM

I used to support Toowoomba Clydesdales...but they have somewhat folded and have been Replaced with Aspley Broncos.

So now i support the Aspley Broncos and Redcliffe Dolphins in the mighty QUEENSLAND CUP! (by the way, i'm talking about rugby league)

I look out for Cobblers' (Northampton Town) and Doncaster Rovers results, but don't properly follow either.

Been brought up a Man City fan. Although I did go and see them when they dropped down to the second division (now League One) if that counts?

I support whoever is playing against the Eastern District scumshites.

I mean Northampton Town.

I have a soft spot for Peterborough Utd as we've got friends who support them.

Ayr United, Scottish Division 2 (third tier of pro-football in Scotland).

We're a big club, we shouldn't be in the Second division but financial constraints saw us relegated a few years ago. That idiotic stadium rule in the SPL kepts us out in the late 90s, early 00s when we were going for promotion and I think that had we gone up then we'd still be there today.

Still, Ayr United...2nd Div champs 07/08 eh?

I always watch the Results of Yeovil Town...

Hopefully Playoff Final this year...

then I will be following the other fair weather fans and going to wembley...

I like to see Carmarthen Quins appearing on Sky Sports News every so often and i'm ALWAYS keeping an eye out on the Cardiff City scores, praying that the Premiership and its supporters will not be gracing my streets any time soon.
Not that i have a problem with football supporters as individuals, but when there's a big footy game on in cardiff the city becomes hostile.
Footballs go high in the air as they try and hit people or cars and air horns are blown directly in your face while police officers are EVERYWHERE!
Scary...

Ahh I love footie in Cardiff, its a good laugh if Liverpool Fans are there...

Maybe this is where your hate of Liverpool has come from, because we come to Cardiff so much... however we wont be visiting for a while...

I was only joking about hating Liverpool.

TBH it's Arsenal and Chelsea that i dislike.

*Charlie puts the Razor Down, Thinking Damn I had an excuse to shave his eyebrows as well*

Sunderland.
[/b]

you poor thing :bleh!:

the geordies are my first team :p

Yeovil town are definately my second team though... used to watch them loads when i was younger

Forest of course! Although lower league still a bigger club than some premiership and most championship clubs, one day we'll be back where we belong!

<div class='quotemain'>
I guess a lot of Northampton Saints fans could now post here?
[/b]

If it wasn't in the football section mabye. :rolleyes:
[/b][/quote]

D'oh

Nate...as an outsider looking in what are your opinions on relegation vs ringfencing/franchisation?

For us promotion & the drop are part of our culture but North Americans just don't have it. Do you reckon it's a good thing to mix things up each year or does the franchise system bring stability? It seems to me that the only way to de-stagnate a league without relegation/promotion is to rip the team up by the roots and move it to a new city.

Nate...as an outsider looking in what are your opinions on relegation vs ringfencing/franchisation?

For us promotion & the drop are part of our culture but North Americans just don't have it. Do you reckon it's a good thing to mix things up each year or does the franchise system bring stability? It seems to me that the only way to de-stagnate a league without relegation/promotion is to rip the team up by the roots and move it to a new city.
[/b]
In the end it's all about money. Let's look at the NFL (American Gridiron Football). Houston Texas had a team called the Houston Oilers...the owners weren't happy with the franchise and moved to Tennesee rebranding them the Tennesee ***ans (they actually kept the same team colors). 2-3 years ago the NFL wanted to add another franchise and guess which large southern Texas city got the bid? Houston...so now we have the Houston Texans. It's all about money with these guys. Franchises = Financial decisions vs. decisions based on tradition and what's actually best for the city, club and sport.
On the other hand I'm not a big fan of the current relegation situation within the GP. While the Premiership Clubs are "clubs" it seems they are run like a coporation (just like our franchises are opperated). So, I think the trend you have seen recently will continue...get relegated, spend a year "slumming it" in the lower league, and then make it back. If the relegation/elevation system is in place to give hope to the lower division teams, I'm afraid it is going to dramatically lose it's affect.
I think their should be a set number of teams that comprise the GP. If it's successful, in a few years they can consider adding other teams or forming conferences (east/west or north/south) within the GP. Teams should, however, still be allowed to play their old grudge matches (I think you call them darbys).

Latest posts