• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

ANZC Round 12 - Finals sorted ?

J

Jethro

Hawke's Bay 20 - 27 Canterbury

The Evil Empire can thank Tewbacca for not bringing in TMO's and the Ref for a glaring error in the dying seconds of the game that cost the bay a deserved draw. The locals were up 17-14 at the break but that didn't look enough as they turned into a strong wind in the second half. Dan "the man" Carter guided things in the second half and it looked like Canterbury were going to edge the game, of course the Bay would of had the apparent last say if not for incompetent linesman.

Tew needs to seriously look at the situation. First sell out of the year happens in the heartland, a team brimming with All Blacks is lucky to get out of town with a win. Give the ANZC another couple of years in the current format and then revisit it.

On the bright side Canterbury may have one hand on the competition

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jethro @ Oct 15 2009, 07:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

The Evil Empire can thank Tewbacca for not bringing in TMO's and the Ref for a glaring error in the dying seconds of the game that cost the bay a deserved draw. The locals were up 17-14 at the break but that didn't look enough as they turned into a strong wind in the second half. Dan "the man" Carter guided things in the second half and it looked like Canterbury were going to edge the game, of course the Bay would of had the apparent last say if not for incompetent linesman.

Tew needs to seriously look at the situation. First sell out of the year happens in the heartland, a team brimming with All Blacks is lucky to get out of town with a win. Give the ANZC another couple of years in the current format and then revisit it.

On the bright side Canterbury may have one hand on the competition[/b]

Talking about wind... :mellow:

Bad luck for Hawke's Bay. I liked Mike and James Paterson -- but Guildford stole the show. What a prospect this fella is! His kick 'n chase perfect it is. Play for the All Blacks, he must.

yoda.gif

Okay, enough Yoda. :p

What happened with Taumalolo's try? I headed for <strike>beer and chips</strike> dietetic coffee and apium crackers and when I came back I saw all the *****ing going on. I wouldn't be surprised if it was overruled because of Tewbacca.

Note I'm happy enough with the result, you get the calls or you don't, pity the Evil Empire seem to be the NZRU's darling though with three year's worth of bailouts and Tewbacca looking to dump teams operating within their budgets. :D

Will look into the try and see why it's an issue.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juggernaut @ Oct 16 2009, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jethro @ Oct 15 2009, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<_<

So which team do you support again??
[/b][/quote]

LOL got cut off before i could finish with "but the Bay have shown they are very beatable!"

Incorrect call by linesman, with perfect line of sight, of Taumalolo going over the sideline when scoring the try. As it turns out sideline conversion needed to draw the match so 50-50 even if the correct call had of been made imho. Please note not blaming the Cantabs or the Ref (though he definitely subscribes to the Barnes decision to allow tries off forward passes ... ) for the woefully inept decision making. Somehow I'm going to construe the blame should be placed squarely at Tewbacca's feet.

Still five teams chasing the final three spots folks, the Cantabs already there.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jethro @ Oct 16 2009, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

I don't mind not having the TMO. Hey, we almost lose the Shield to Auckland because of it. If they have to save money then they have to save money. Good work on getting the big crowd, though. I think most of the country were cheering you guys on last night. At least now we have a good chance of getting a home semi so long as we can win our remaining games.

Even in the naked eye that looked like a try to me and if I were the 'Assitant Referee' I would have given it. Replays only confirmed this thought. Would have been interesting to see how the conversion went.

Manawatu 27 - 28

The Poo were unable to bridge an early lead BOP gained, but this was one hell of a game and once again indicates the punters will turn up to a match, you watching Tew. One of those games were neither team deserved to lose, good rugby for the P North faithful. Interestingly it does highlight one of the issues with ANZC rugby, lack of team depth in both teams cases. Another few years and they will have the depth imho. Doesn't impact the final make up moving along.

Southland 29 - 13 Taranki

The Stags surged into second spot on the ladder, albeit to a couple of blunders thursday night, with a sort of comprehensive win over the Naki. I'm saying "sort of" as the Stags coach will need to visit one of those hair replacement places after this game. Southland should have nail this one but kept pushing the final pass, which in the wash up cost them the bonus point. Taranaki out classed on the night to be honest by a team who must be close to being dropped in a few weeks.

Newsflash: Wanganui, one of the teams meant to join the new beaut competition, aren't exactly overjoyed with the option. Dave Hoskin, their chairman/chairperson has voicef deep reservations about the new "meaningful" competition. Well done Tew, would pay to actually speak to the heartland ... oh wait we would tell him to f**k off!

Hang on a sec with Waunganui. They wanted to be in this new competition. How can someone complain about maybe being put into a competition that they wanted to be in the first place? Hoskin sounds like an idiot. You don't want to be in this new competition then why didn't you say so?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Oct 16 2009, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Even in the naked eye that looked like a try to me and if I were the 'Assitant Referee' I would have given it. Replays only confirmed this thought. Would have been interesting to see how the conversion went.[/b]
Hahaha yeah did you see Taumalolo mouthing some explicits at the ref they'll probably use that replay I bet. Sucks they save $200k not using the T.M.O's but with the crowd numbers up they're earning more than ever anyway so they didn't need ot get rid of them.

That Turbos vs Steamers was a massive game and it was very close at the end with the Turbos coming back strong in the last 10min. Delanys got to be on the EOYT who runs the ball out from their own ingoal and makes 20m from nothing he genius and his agility is awesome. Unfortunately for the Turbos they exhausted themselves and gave away a easy try when Bourke kicked in down in space and nobody was there but a lock against the winger. Good game and very entertaining.

Didn't get to watch the Stags and da Naki was switching between channels. I'll probably watch a replay thou

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Oct 17 2009, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Oct 16 2009, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even in the naked eye that looked like a try to me and if I were the 'Assitant Referee' I would have given it. Replays only confirmed this thought. Would have been interesting to see how the conversion went.[/b]
Hahaha yeah did you see Taumalolo mouthing some explicits at the ref they'll probably use that replay I bet. Sucks they save $200k not using the T.M.O's but with the crowd numbers up they're earning more than ever anyway so they didn't need ot get rid of them.

That Turbos vs Steamers was a massive game and it was very close at the end with the Turbos coming back strong in the last 10min. Delanys got to be on the EOYT who runs the ball out from their own ingoal and makes 20m from nothing he genius and his agility is awesome. Unfortunately for the Turbos they exhausted themselves and gave away a easy try when Bourke kicked in down in space and nobody was there but a lock against the winger. Good game and very entertaining.

Didn't get to watch the Stags and da Naki was switching between channels. I'll probably watch a replay thou
[/b][/quote]
Crowd numbers have gone up a few hundred and most of that money would go to the provinces anyway. The ANZC will still make a 7 figure loss this year, IMO. As for Delany, I'm really against that. The guy hasn't performed at Super14 level. I don't think people should be able to skip the super 14 level, if you haven't shone there you might not shine for the All Blacks. It sort of just makes things too easy for me and to make the All Blacks you should have to put in a few years good work.

Wellington had another good win today but I'm still unimpressed. Canterbury would have rolled us. We never should be equal with a team with something like 7 less All Blacks at halftime. But, hey, we got the 5 points and my man Fili had a blinder.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Oct 17 2009, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Oct 16 2009, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hahaha yeah did you see Taumalolo mouthing some explicits at the ref they'll probably use that replay I bet. Sucks they save $200k not using the T.M.O's but with the crowd numbers up they're earning more than ever anyway so they didn't need ot get rid of them.[/b][/quote]

Can't say I blame him. I probably would have reacted the same way in the same position tbh.

With the Taranaki - Stags match I thought Taranaki was completely outplayed, but did well to stay as close as they were. It wasn't until Southland scored a try that was a result of the Taranaki backs failing to claima high ball they should've that we were out of the game.

I think Taranaki has a lot of promise, and are showing signs of improvement since Kennedy came in as coach. I just don't know what the problem is right now. Decision making and inconsistency probably.

Wellington 37 - 13 North Harbour

Harbour held a strangely underperforming Lions outfit to 13-13 at the break, but when hostilities resumed the home team did all the scoring. Cory Jane was once again outstanding for Wellington and Gear showed up to score the inevitable try. Bonus point win to Wellington puts them in with a good chance of scoring a home semi final.

Otago 21 - 0 Tasman

The Makos dropped out of the finals race in Dunedin when a dominant Otago ran in two tries. The home side dominated the match, though Tasman did come back in stages, driving rain didn't help either team though Otago did better when running the ball.

Waikato 27 - 19 Northland

The Taniwha were up 19-10 at the half but couldn't contain the power of Waikato who seemed to get better as the game went on. A last gasp bonus point try puts Waikato into the finals picture as the top of the ladder continues to be congested. We have only one confirmed semi finalist at this stage.

With Auckland expected to trounce Counties later today, five teams are still in the running for the remaining three semi spots. End of weekend, nothing resolved, this is going down to the wire.

Auckland 37 - 14 Counties

Auckland turned in a clinical performance to grab the bonus point and keep themselves in contention for the finals.

Ladder after Round 12

1. Canterbury 46
2. Wellington 39
3. Southland 37
4. Hawkes Bay 36

5. Waikato 36
6. Auckland 35

7. Bay Of Plenty 30
8. Tasman 28
9. Taranaki 24
10. Otago 23
11. North Harbour 20
12. Manawatu 19
13. Northland 16
14. Counties Manukau 11

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChiefsFan @ Oct 19 2009, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Waikato's ahead of Hawkes Bay.[/b]

Points differential would put the Bay above Waikato though I think the ANZC finals criteria is who bet who in the round robin, ergo if both the Bay and Waikato end up on the same points Waikato would be considered to be ahead in terms of a final berth. As the ladder stands however point spread would put the Bay ahead.

Interesting final round, if Southland lose on Thursday the door is open for the winner of Auckland/Waikato to grab the final spot or even spots depending on how the Bay and Wellington go Friday night.

Auckland v Counties was a good game, pretty even until the first half. I was awestruck by Tim Nanai Williams' performance in particular.

What an absolutely lovely competition! I always rooted for Canterbury but I've started to follow Hawke's Bay as of late. The final round leaves the door open for many teams, which makes it even more interesting -- I don't regret having to get up at 4 AM to watch the games. Actually, it's become a tradition: my friends automatically drop by my place so we can <strike>get wasted more easily</strike> share the experience together. :D

Too bad Southland most likely won't make it as they would have to beat Canterbury. Then again, Southland could catch them unawares. It seems to me like the top 4 will be Canterbury (obv), Wellington, Hawkes Bay and then the winner of Waikato v Auckland.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jethro @ Oct 19 2009, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChiefsFan @ Oct 19 2009, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Points differential would put the Bay above Waikato though I think the ANZC finals criteria is who bet who in the round robin, ergo if both the Bay and Waikato end up on the same points Waikato would be considered to be ahead in terms of a final berth. As the ladder stands however point spread would put the Bay ahead.

Interesting final round, if Southland lose on Thursday the door is open for the winner of Auckland/Waikato to grab the final spot or even spots depending on how the Bay and Wellington go Friday night.
[/b][/quote]

If more than those two were tied however it would come down to points PD.

So if Auckland, Southland, Hawkes Bay and Waikato are tied on points, PD would decide which two teams go through, which is interesting.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChiefsFan @ Oct 19 2009, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jethro @ Oct 19 2009, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChiefsFan @ Oct 19 2009, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

If more than those two were tied however it would come down to points PD.

So if Auckland, Southland, Hawkes Bay and Waikato are tied on points, PD would decide which two teams go through, which is interesting.
[/b][/quote]

Don't even go there :p

Interesting round with the AB players not available. Would impact the Evil Empire the most, but the Aucks did start to get something happening when their's returned. At this stage I'm not discounting any of the five teams in the race.

Latest posts