Darwin

AKA Dingo_Darwin
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Highlanders
/Frontpagebanners/SRrookiesP1.jpg

Part One - The New Zealand Rookies

Dan Carter. Will Genia. Schalk Burger. World class players know by all rugby follows. However, even these great players were once relatively unknown rookies. In this series I examine a number of young players yet to make their Super Rugby debuts, but who have the potential to develop into world class players in the future. In the first of the series I look at five New Zealand rookies who are set to announce themselves on the Super Rugby stage this season, and could potentially take the Super Rugby tournament by storm.

Liaki Moli (Blues)
Position: Lock

Liaki+Moli+ITM+Cup+Rd+12+Auckland+v+Otago+wByR5wGPWL0l.jpg

The powerful Liaki Moli stands out on the rugby field, not only because of his full beard and distinctive long hair. After some exceptional performances for the New Zealand Under 20 team in Argentina - which lead to him being named NZRU Age Grade Player of the Year in 2010 - Moli went on to make his provincial debut for Auckland latter that season. His strong season for Auckland saw him offered a Super Rugby contract with the Blues in 2011. However he never managed to get on the field for the Blues that year, after a shoulder surgery in early 2011 ruined his season. Moli's poor luck with injuries continued on his return to rugby for Auckland during the ITM Cup, damaging his AC joint in his first start of the season, which ruled him out for the rest of the year. Now fully fit, Moli knows he needs to repay the faith placed in him by the Blues management

Though relatively short by modern lock standards - standing only 1.94m (6'4) - Moli is a strong jumper at number two in the lineout thanks to his outstanding athleticism. He is renowned as a strong scrummager, and has a huge work-rate around the field. However, where Moli really stands out is with the ball in hand. Nick-named "monster" by his team-mates, Moli's incredible power and aggression make him very difficult to bring down. He is capable of getting well over the advantage line from a standing start, and is often seen dragging two or three defenders along with him. Though still raw at this level, he is seen by many as a possible long-term replacement for Brad Thorn in the All Blacks, though will need to stay fit for the entire season to gain experience and grow as a player.

In Anthony Boric and Ali Williams the Blues have two international quality starting locks, so Moli is unlikely to get many starts unless there are injuries, or either of the top locks are rested. Though the Blues other locking options - Brad Mika and Filo Paulo - are more experienced, Moli is in a strong position to gain a bench spot for the Blues due to his ability to make a real impact late in the game with his strong running. Expect Moli to be given plenty of game-time for the Blues this season, as he has the potential to develop into a world class lock within the next few years.

Maritino Nemani (Chiefs)
Position: Wing

Tino+Nemani+ITM+Cup+Rd+5+North+Harbour+v+Hawke+FXthQk3bBGel.jpg

Maritino Nemani, son of the former Fiji international football captain Maritino Nemani Snr, was considered by many a shock selection in the Chiefs squad in 2012. The Fijian born Nemani moved to Auckland with his siblings in 2004, and made numerous Auckland age-group representative sides before earning selection for the New Zealand Schools side in 2009. In 2010 he represented Fiji at IRB Junior World Championships in Argentina, starting all four of Fiji's games on the left wing. As he was stuck behind a number of quality wings in Auckland, Nemani was expected to be restricted to playing for the Auckland Academy team in 2011, however he was fortunate to be recruited as a loan player by Hawkes' Bay coach, and now Chiefs assistant coach, Tom Coventry. Though Nemani received limited game-time with the Magpies - only playing in three games - Coventry was impressed enough with Nemani to offer him a Chiefs contract in 2012.

Listed at 1.81m (5'11) and 101kg (15st 13lbs), Nemani is powerful young wing, who was picked largely on potential, rather than proven performance. He is very quick, has a high work-rate, and is an incredibly physical player both in attack and defence. He thrives in the contact situation, and with ball in hand he is equally as likely to attempt to run straight through opposition defenders, rather than attempt to run around them. Though he lacks some technique at the breakdown, he is happy to mix it with the forwards, and never seems far away from the action. He is well known as very powerful defender, and he loves to pull off the big hit in defence. He is solid under the high ball and, possibly due to being the son of an international footballer, does possess a strong kicking game. His lack of experience means he can struggle at times with the tactical aspects of the game, and his discipline has let him down at times as well.

With the departure of Sitiveni Sivivatu the Chiefs left wing spot is vacant, and Nemani is a strong position to partner Lelia Masaga on the wings for the Chiefs. The main alternatives for the left wing spots are fellow rookies Declan O'Donnell and Asaeli Tikoirotuma (though Tikoirotimu is more comfortable at centre), and Nemani's incredible physicality may see him get the edge over his rivals, as it will complement the more elusive options the Chiefs have at fullback (either Tim Nanai-Williams or Robbie Robinson). Though Nemani's lack of experience at the top level is as disadvantage in many ways, his lack of exposure means he may surprise opposition teams with his pace and power.

TJ Perenara (Hurricanes)
Age 20
Position: Halfback

TJ+Perenara+Argentina+v+New+Zealand+IRB+Junior+zrErsiQytW-l.jpg

Despite coming from a softball background - his father, mother and grandmother all having played softball for New Zealand - rugby is TJ Perenara's passion. It has been a meteoric rise into Super Rugby for young Perenara, who made his debut for the Wellington Lions as an 18 year-old while still at school. Later that year he captained the New Zealand Secondary Schools side to victory over the Australian Schools side, kicking half of the teams points in a 30-21 victory. His rise continued with him being named in the New Zealand Under 20's side for the IRB Junior World Championships, a team he is again eligible for this year. He started at halfback in all the crucial matches, helping New Zealand to a 33-22 victory over England in the final. After returning home Perenara went on to play an important role in Wellington Lions 2011 ITM Cup campaign, appearing in all 10 matches, including starting at halfback in seven of these.

At 1.84m (6' 0) and 95kg (14st 11 lbs) Perenara is a solidly built player, who is capable of mixing it with the forwards. He has a solid passing game, but his real strengths are his organisational ability and his defensive game. With ball in hand his ability to organise and control the backline belies his young age, and he has an impressive ability to sum up the situation quickly and act accordingly. He has a strong kicking game, and is happy to use this to drive his team around the park. Though he lacks the explosive speed of many halfbacks with ball in hand, he can break the line as sees gaps well. One of Perenara's major strengths is his ability on defense - indeed it is an area he prides himself on. He is a strong one-on-one defender, and runs great lines in cover defence. His organisational skills are also very apparent on defence, with him frequently observed organising the defensive lines close to the breakdown.

Perenara is one of three halfbacks included in the Hurricanes squad for 2012, and will be competing for game-time with Chris Eaton (who backed up Piri Weepu at the Canes last season) and Chris Smylie (who backed up Alby Mathewson at the Blues last season). Smylie and Eaton are very similar halfbacks to each other: both are very quick and elusive with ball in hand and are solid defenders, however neither are strong distributors as both take a long time to clear the ball, and their passing can lack accuracy. Though Perenara lacks the experience of the other two contenders, the fact that he has a very contrasting style of play to the other two may give him in the edge in making the 22 each week, as this would allow the Hurricanes to drastically change their playing style when they changed their halfback. Given the current rate that Perenara is improving as a player, expect him to be the first choice halfback for the Hurricanes by the end of the season.

Tyler Bleyendaal (Crusaders)
Age 21
Position: First-five

Tyler+Bleyendaal+Super+Rugby+Trial+Rebels+Zfb6ava11d5l.jpg

Tyler Bleyendaal is the most recent member of what is commonly referred to as the "Christchurch Boys' High School first five-eighth factory", with the school having produced the likes of Andrew Mehrtens, Daniel Carter, Stephen Brett and Colin Slade in recent years. Like many New Zealand players, Bleyendaal announced himself as a player of immense potential at the IRB Junior World Championship, where he captained New Zealand in 2010. He had an outstanding tournament, scoring a tournament high 82 points including a 28-point haul in the 62-17 final victory over Australia, which saw him nominated for IRB junior player of the year. Despite not taking any part in Canterbury's ITM Cup team in 2010 he was selected in the 2011 Crusaders squad, largely on potential. Due to the presence of Dan Carter, and the solid form of Matt Berquist, Bleyendaal did not get any game-time for the Crusaders in 2011, instead playing mainly for the Crusader Knights in the IRB Pacific Rugby Cup. Bleyendaal finally made his Canterbury debut during the 2011 season, and though he had a solid season, many consider that he has far more to offer.

Bleyendaal's major strength is his option taking ability. He possesses a strong tactical kicking game, and is good at directing his team around the park. He is a good goal-kicker, though will want to keep improving this aspect of his game. His passing game is solid, though he did struggle at times during the ITM Cup when pressure was applied. Though he does not possess exceptional pace nor a great step he does have the ability to break the line with ball in hand, as he runs well at gaps, and runs with the ball in two hands which keeps the defenders guessing. Bleyendaal size - 1.85m (6̢۪1), 96kg (15st 2lbs) - means he is well suited for the defensive duties that a modern first-five are required to complete, and is a solid defender.

The position of Carter's understudy at the Crusaders is both a blessing and a curse: Bleyendaal gets to learn his trade from the best in the business, however he will know that he will get limited game-time in crucial games, and every move he makes he will be compared to Carter. However, with Carter not set to return until later March, Bleyendaal looks to be in a two-way race with Tom Taylor for the Crusaders 10 jersey at the start of the season. Taylor displayed some outstanding form for Canterbury in the ITM Cup, but is more comfortable in the 12 jersey, rather than at first-five, which may give Bleyendaal the edge. Once Carter returns Bleyendaal will be competing with Taylor for a bench spot, and given Taylor greater versatility (he is also comfortable at fullback) Bleyendaal will need to display strong form at the start of the season to secure this spot.

Kurt Baker (Highlanders)
Position: Fullback

IRB+London+Sevens+Day+Two+ZqBJ7DrUeSfl.jpg

Fullback Kurt Baker was born and breed in the Manawatu town of Palmerston North, and played several seasons for the Turbos before transferring to Taranaki at the start of the 2010 ITM Cup season. Like many young New Zealand outside backs, Kurt Baker made a name for himself on the international stage in the 7's game. After debuting for New Zealand as a 20 year-old at the end of 2008, Baker went on to establish himself as a key member of the national team over the next few seasons. He was the second-equal leading try scorer during the 2009-2010 World Sevens series, with a particularly memorable performance at the Hong Kong Sevens where he was the leading try scorer in the tournament with nine tries, including four in the semi-final victory over Fiji, and two in the narrow defeat to Samoa in the final. Later that year he was part of the victorious New Zealand Commonwealth Games Sevens team in Delhi, scoring a try with the final act of the tournament to secure the gold medal for New Zealand. Unfortunately this was the last time Kurt Baker touched a rugby ball in a competitive match for over 9-months, after he was diagnosed with a stress fracture in his back.

Bakers strong form in provincial rugby and on the 7's circuit had seen him drafted into Highlanders squad for the 2011, but the stress fracture ruled him out for the entire season. In his first match back for Taranaki he damaged his shoulder - an injury would plague him through the competition. Despite the shoulder injury Baker had a strong ITM Cup season, and looks to be fully fit for the start of the Highlanders 2012 campaign.

Baker is renowned as an ultra-competitive player, though he has at times been accused of being over aggressive on the field. He is known for his high work-rate and his high level of fitness - indeed he came out on top of Gordon Tietjens yo-yo test in a pre-Commonwealth Games training camp in Auckland. He is a steady defender, and solid under the high ball, but his real strength is with the ball in hand. Unlike many other players he has no single strength that stands out, but rather he has the ability to beat a man in a variety of ways. He is fast, without being ultra-quick, though does have the ability to maintain the same speed throughout the match due to his superior fitness. He steps well off either foot, and has a strong fend off either hand, as well as an ability to bunt off player that don't fully commit to the tackle.

The presence of Ben Smith, who had a sublime season at fullback for the Highlanders in 2011, means that Baker is not guaranteed a starting position for the Highlanders in 2012. However Baker looks set to start the season at fullback, with Ben Smith likely to be required in the midfield as the Highlanders have a number of key midfield players currently injured (Shaun Treeby, Kendrick Lynn, and Siale Piutau) while new recruit Tamiti Ellison has yet to complete his club commitments in Japan. If Baker performs well coach Jamie Joseph may consider keeping him at fullback, with Smith remaining in the mid-field as the season progresses, though a spot on the bench as an impact player may be Bakers primary role this season.

Look out for Part Two of the Super Rugby Rookies series - The South African Rookies - coming soon!

(all photos courtesy of Getty images)

Back to Blog

Last edited:
Any of these good picks for fantasy rugby?

As always it depends on whether they get to start. At the beginning of the season the only two that look set to start are Bleyendaal and Baker - I think Bleyendaal could be good value, as he will probably be cheap and is a goal-kicker. If Moli or Nemani get some starts they will both be good value, but I don't think they will be starting in week 1.

Moli would be a great pick later on in the season if he gets some starts. He makes huge amounts of metres with the ball in hand. I don't know if Perenara's strengths are well suited to the points system for fantasy rugby.
As Darwin says, Bleyendaal is a good, cheap option till Dan comes back. Baker will likely be starting and will probably put in a decent performance but I wouldn't be surprised if he manages to get himself sent off at some stage. Not a bad option. There might be better, though.

P.S. Thanks for the article, Darwin. I'm only half way through but it is a great read so far.

Good read. I'll be keeping an eye out for these names, thanks.

This is the one year I am very excited about SA youth coming through as well. Anyone looking to do a write-up? Otherwise I might try my hand if I find the time.

Last edited:
This is the one year I am very excited about SA youth coming through as well. Anyone looking to do a write-up? Otherwise I might try my hand if I find the time.

Yeah if no one else does it, please do it!!

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not much clued up on the rookies coming through as I have trouble watching the Varsity Cup and Vodacom Cup, and I'm one-eyed when it comes to the bulls and other teams. So a write-up about SA Rookies would be great.

PS. Don't bother with the Aussie one, we all know there is no rookies in Oz that's why they convert league players or guys like Sarel and players from other countries to make their teams look good...

Good read. I'll be keeping an eye out for these names, thanks.

I was planning on writing up a blog like this for the South African and Australian Rookies too. I've already started writing up one on Australian Rookies, but if you are keen to write a blog on the South African Rookies I'm more than happy for you to do this, as I'm sure you have far more knowledge of South African rookies than I do! PM me if you are keen as we can get your blog put up on the front page, so you get to feel like a real author ;)

Last edited:
Yeah if no one else does it, please do it!!

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not much clued up on the rookies coming through as I have trouble watching the Varsity Cup and Vodacom Cup, and I'm one-eyed when it comes to the bulls and other teams. So a write-up about SA Rookies would be great.

PS. Don't bother with the Aussie one, we all know there is no rookies in Oz that's why they convert league players or guys like Sarel and players from other countries to make their teams look good...

Well I only watch the varsity matches where the Maties and UCT are involved but you spot a guy here and there even if you aren't really looking at the other teams. Particularly the Shimlas have been looking much better than in previous years. That'll only be relavant later on though. I think the JRWC and Currie Cup are more than enough to spot the talent that'll possibly be on show in the Super rugby tournament.

Well I only watch the varsity matches where the Maties and UCT are involved but you spot a guy here and there even if you aren't really looking at the other teams. Particularly the Shimlas have been looking much better than in previous years. That'll only be relavant later on though. I think the JRWC and Currie Cup are more than enough to spot the talent that'll possibly be on show in the Super rugby tournament.

Yeah true... but a guy like Arno Botha who's in the Bulls Super Rugby Squad is a prime example of coming through the ropes... he started at Varsity Cup, had a blinder, then went to Vodacom cup, got some exposure, then Currie Cup where he showed what a great talent he is and now Super Rugby...

Maybe we must get someone from each team to do a write-up of only their team's rookies??

I'll Volunteer for the Bulls, unless there are any other takers?

I know there's going to be a battle at the Sharks, but I think TRF Ezequiel should do it as he's after all a moderator...

I first took notice of Botha in the CC but he had a great couple of matches in the JRWC as well.

Who would you consider? I would include

Bulls:
Arno Botha
CJ Stander
Francois Venter

Stormers:
Eben Etzebeth
Siya Kolisi

Lions:
they've allready blooded all their youngsters last year

Cheetahs:
Marcell van der Merwe
Andries Ferreira
Lappies Labuscagne
Johan Goosen

Sharks:
Dale Chadwick
Jandre Marias
Sibusiso Sithole

Did I miss anyone?

Some more I can think off

Stormers:
Centre - JP du Plessis
loosies - Nizaam Carr and Nick Fenton-Wells

Sharks:
Loose forward - Marcell Coetzee
Lock - Anton Bresler

Lions:
Lock - (ex Grikwas) Hendrik Roodt
Front row - Jaconbie Adriaanse

That Hendrik Roodt is a big boy, hoping that Mitchell has improved his fitness and thus ability to get around the park.

There is a very decent player in him in my opinion.

Fully agree, noticed him in the CC with his destructive running style, mother of a lad, good buy there Mitchell

Some more I can think off

Stormers:
Centre - JP du Plessis
loosies - Nizaam Carr and Nick Fenton-Wells

Sharks:
Loose forward - Marcell Coetzee
Lock - Anton Bresler

Lions:
Lock - (ex Grikwas) Hendrik Roodt
Front row - Jaconbie Adriaanse

All very unlikely to play unless 2 injuries ocur. I'll definately have to add Marcell Coetzee though, thanks, particularly in the light that Deysel and Alberts are both still carrying injury.

Allready got the write up and images and some stats for Goosen, Botha, Stander and Kolisi

Another one to watch is Ben Tameifuna. He's a prop who plays like a loosie and has been picked up by the Chiefs. As a youngster he was shipped right into our First XV and at first I didn't think too much of him.. But like Conrad Smith, he gets alot done under the radar. Known to put in some massive but legal hits. Had a pretty poor first season for the Magpies but found himself in the squad alot. He had put on alot of weight since I played with him at High School but as the season went on, he shed the pounds and looked like he was getting back into the form I know he's capable of.
When we toured South Africa he gained alot of attention from clubs over there and the Bulls even asked him if he would consider moving there to develop.
If he gets back to the form he was in when we toured SA, he will be a great asset to any team.

Another one to watch is Ben Tameifuna. He's a prop who plays like a loosie and has been picked up by the Chiefs. As a youngster he was shipped right into our First XV and at first I didn't think too much of him.. But like Conrad Smith, he gets alot done under the radar. Known to put in some massive but legal hits. Had a pretty poor first season for the Magpies but found himself in the squad alot. He had put on alot of weight since I played with him at High School but as the season went on, he shed the pounds and looked like he was getting back into the form I know he's capable of.
When we toured South Africa he gained alot of attention from clubs over there and the Bulls even asked him if he would consider moving there to develop.
If he gets back to the form he was in when we toured SA, he will be a great asset to any team.

I certainly agree that Tameifuna is another one to watch. I don't expect he will get that much game-time for the Chiefs this season, but he certainly seems to have a lot of potential. He is a phenomenal athlete for someone of his size (he's list at 132kg), and passes like a back (I remember him making a beautiful skip pass leading to a try in the Junior World Champs last season). However I think there are still question-marks over his ability at scrum time. He's obviously got by at age-grade level due to his size, but he really struggled at times during the U20 World Champs, and for Hawkes' Bay last year. I'm sure he will improve his scrumagging as he gets older, but I think he needs to do a lot of work in that area.

Yeah, he's a big solid unit. And if I remember correctly he should be 19 turning 20. I think he was 2 years younger than myself.

Latest posts