• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Arron Cruden

T

Tomsey

For a side that has always been laden with All Blacks, as the ‘canes have, one super rugby grand final appearance (and subsequent loss) is a bit of a disappointing track record. Especially given that they have made the semi’s five times.

When they did make the finals in 06 they had an in form Jimmy Gopperth playing fly half. Since Gopperth lost form and eventually left the ‘canes have struggled to find a long term number 10. Willie Repia and Piri Weepu have shared the duties but neither of them has been able to hold down their spot.
Could the emergence of Arron Cruden finally ignite the huge potential of the ‘canes back line? I know he is still quite young but he excelled at the under 20 world cup last year and has performed well with limited game time the trials.

Taking into account Alby Mathewson’s departure, surely Weepu will return to scrum half this season. That leaves Cruden and Repia as the fly half options and from all reports Repia hasn’t set the world on fire in the Hurricanes two trials. I think he was even pulled off fairly early in the game against the Blues and replaced by Weepu after struggling to make an impact.

Whats the general opinion on this? Is he ready to be the ‘canes first choice number 10? And if he is, how far can the Hurricanes go this season?

To be honest I'm looking at Cruden as Hurricanes savior. As you mentioned we've all ways had great backs, but never had a great 1st 5/8th. Holwell and Gopperth were decent, but not game breakers. Hurricanes backline this years looks just amazing.

9.Peri Weepu
10. Aaron Cruden
11. Hosea Gear
12. Ma'a Nonu
13. Conrad Smith
14. David Smith
15. Cory Jane

With that attacking power, I can't see how we can lose. Cruden has all ready been tipped to perhaps make the World Cup, depending how well he performs at top level rugby in the super 14. I guess we'll see if he can perform as well he has, at top level, and if he is worth all the hype. I for one think he may be the Canes first real chance of us winning the Super 14 in quite a while, as he is the missing link.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Jan 30 2010, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
To be honest I'm looking at Cruden as Hurricanes savior. As you mentioned we've all ways had great backs, but never had a great 1st 5/8th. Holwell and Gopperth were decent, but not game breakers. Hurricanes backline this years looks just amazing.

9.Peri Weepu
10. Aaron Cruden
11. Hosea Gear
12. Ma'a Nonu
13. Conrad Smith
14. David Smith
15. Cory Jane

With that attacking power, I can't see how we can lose. Cruden has all ready been tipped to perhaps make the World Cup, depending how well he performs at top level rugby in the super 14. I guess we'll see if he can perform as well he has, at top level, and if he is worth all the hype. I for one think he may be the Canes first real chance of us winning the Super 14 in quite a while, as he is the missing link.[/b]
Personally, I would play Jane on the wing with Ellison at fullback.

I'm not getting carried away with Cruden. I saw him play in about 5 games last year and he didn't impress me at all. He was well outplayed when he came to Westpac Stadium last year. Admittedly the ball from the Manawatu pack wasn't very good but I still think that a lot of people were getting carried away in the hype. This year will be a massive test for him. He is under a lot of pressure to perform.

Yep same here I'd have Jane on the right wing too and bring Smith on as impact.

I think Cruden got alot of hype because he had to overcome his illness of testicular cancer. I think this has given him alot more praise from people than usual. Don't get me wrong he is a awesome player and has great potential but I don't want to put all my faith in him just to be disappointed yet again. I hope he is all that's he's suppose to be cracked up to be and proves me wrong.

That's true, however what excites me at the moment is more the amount of time he has left to improve.

I also think he's somewhat overrated. As a Hurricanes fan I obviously hope to be proven wrong, but yeah, who knows.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Jan 30 2010, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
9.Peri Weepu
10. Aaron Cruden
11. Hosea Gear
12. Ma'a Nonu
13. Conrad Smith
14. David Smith
15. Cory Jane[/b]

Even if he is overratedwWith a backline like that then he shouldn't have to set the world on fire for them to score every time they get the ball. There is so much talent there that if he can play as well as he did in the U20 world cup (which is the big if) then they should do alot of damage.

If that theory were right, the Hurricanes would have won a Super rugby ***le by now. We've always had a talented backline, but never had a number ten with that little bit extra to get us over the line. Of course, our forward pack seemed to lack a little bit of gutso I think, but that's not so much the case now.

Yeah, we really do need a decent 1st 5/8th. Holwell and Gopperth have been our strongest contenders, and their more solid performers at best. But I think if Cruden can offer a bit more then them, we'll see a very dangerous team.

It makes sense. No point in throwing him in the deep end too early. Better off a bit of time from the bench and then letting him adjust. That being said, Repia is a good goal kicker, but hardly a magic maker. Solid but unspectacular.

After Benson Stanley's hit on him last night I think he may have a few links missing lol. Average game for Cruden got introduced to Super14 Rugby with a big hit done on him so that didn't help things but he managed to charge down a Stephen Brett kick that nearly later could have lead to a try in the corner.

Needs more game time hopefully he can come up with the goods next week against the Western Force but like the Commentators were saying they don't want to build him up too much just for him to fall. He has great potential but needs to be slowly bleed in Super Rugby and not put in the deep end.

I think he does, he just wasn't offered a contract. I certanly think he's a very good goal kicker.

I imagine Fili's in the wider training squad.

Why was Ripia doing the goal kicking? Surely you pick your best goal kicker and thats clearly Weepu.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Feb 16 2010, 08:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What about Fa'atonu Fili, or does he not play/qualify for 'Canes?[/b]
I don't thin k he is in there at all. I would have liked to see him in there though. I guess being proficient at kicking drop goals does not help you to get into a New Zealand side.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Jan 30 2010, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

9.Peri Weepu
10. Aaron Cruden
11. Hosea Gear
12. Ma'a Nonu
13. Conrad Smith
14. David Smith
15. Cory Jane

With that attacking power, I can't see how we can lose. Cruden has all ready been tipped to perhaps make the World Cup, depending how well he performs at top level rugby in the super 14. I guess we'll see if he can perform as well he has, at top level, and if he is worth all the hype. I for one think he may be the Canes first real chance of us winning the Super 14 in quite a while, as he is the missing link.[/b]

Well it'll be interesting to see how they perform

Heard a lot of Aaron Cruden. Perhaps he is the saviour the canes are looking for.
Didnt see the games against the blues.
Look forward to seeing Cruden and the canes backline in action.

Cooper did the right thing with ripia starting at 10 against the blues, and to be honest, he should for the next 4/5 games. hes got 2 years super rugby experiance and although not great, can do the job... it is obvious that cruden will be the long term hurricanes 5/8th but its his 1st super rugby season. the pace, skill level and strength of teams and players is a big jump from NPC and especially under 20's rugby.

I remember when a certian all black got called in without starting a npc game, and we can see now, the iceman was rushed in too fast. and that a great age grade player doesnt change seasons for a team. young players need time

along with that, watching cruden play for manawatu, he was good, but not a first choice 5/8 for any of the 5 NZ franchises IMO. i would definatly place him below 7 or 8 in line for best 5/8's in the country. knocking on the door, but hes going to need to handle the pressure of 1st class rugby before you can call him a saviour.

Obviously, however I was talking about him as the savior in the long term, providing he develops into the player he's been hyped to eventually be. I don't expect instant success. Personally I though Robbie Robinson was much better in the npc.

Latest posts