• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ashton To Return To Bath As Head Coach

R

robbinho

Ashton to return to Bath as Head Coach

www.bathrugby.com

ashton1.jpg

By Dom Rumbles
Bath Rugby are delighted to announce that Brian Ashton will be joining the club in the capacity of head coach.
The club would like to take this opportunity to thank John Connolly for his major contribution in helping to restore Bath Rugby’s pride and position in the rugby world. John will continue in his role until the end of the month, and Brian will officially take office on 1st January 2006. The interim period of December will be in the safe hands of Mike Foley and Richard Graham.
Brian will be assisted by both Mike and Richard and call on the able services of Jack Rowell. Jack will be on hand to advise Brian in his capacity as a non-executive director.

John Connolly, who has had a significant impact during the past three seasons as head coach, said today that he was pleased that the club had appointed such a respected figure and stated that the club was in good hands going forward.

“Bath Rugby is a great club and I have experienced a wonderful two and a half years here, but I have always said that it was time to move on,†said Connolly today to www.bathrugby.com. “However, the club is being left in a good position and in very safe hands. The current crop of players have been a pleasure to work with as have coaches Mike Foley and Rich Graham, and alongside Brian Ashton I am sure that they will continue to take the club forward. I would like to wish Brian all the very best.â€

Club chairman Andrew Brownsword said to www.bathrugby.com today, “The appointment is an important step in the building process to ensure that Bath Rugby remains a force to be reckoned with in Europe.

Brian has the experience and recognised ability to extend the excellent progress achieved in the past three rebuilding seasons. Congratulations must also go to Bob Calleja for patiently pursuing and finally securing such a high-profile and respected figure within rugby circles. I know that Brian will be given full support from everyone associated with Bath Rugby.â€

Brian Ashton biography

Born: 3rd September 1946 in Leigh, Lancashire

Playing history: England North, Barbarians, Lancashire, Tyldesley, Fylde, Orrell, AS Montferrand, Roma, Milan, England tourist.

Coaching history: National Academy Manager (2002-present), England A and Churchill Cup, England Assistant coach (1998-2002), Ireland head coach (1997-1998), Bath head coach (1994-1996). Bath assistant coach (1989-94).

Doubtless of little interest to most of you, but this is a MAJOR piece of news for Bath fans, the missing piece if you will. So many Bath fans have been pushing for this for so long, so you'll have to excuse our elation!

He will bring out the best in your backs. Another cock up by the RFU, he should be coaching England at some capacity.

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby+Nov 2 2005, 07:34 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintsFan_Webby @ Nov 2 2005, 07:34 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-harrison2468
@Nov 1 2005, 08:32 PM
He will bring out the best in your backs.
Even Chris Malone?
<

<
[/b]
Ok, maybe a bit of a rash statement, the man i very good BUT he can't perform miracles.
<

They could always get a better playmaker like Dan Parks....

Knob Off! We'll stick with Molly, thanks. He's a better player than he's given credit for, as he showed at Bristol where only he and Frikkie Welsh did anything. (He's also a shoo-in for the Volvo Estate Massive Boot Award after his droppy v Gloucester a couple of weeks back). Bath have got some really good young talent coming thorugh in the backs - Barkley has been around a while, but is still young, as are Davey and Crockett, but there's also the liks of Ryan Davis, Tom Cheeseman, mike Mangeolles and nick Abendanonononononononononon who can do nothing but flourish under a coach like Ashton.

The one England perofrmance last seaosnw ith an innovative back-play was the A game against the French, and Ashton was the coach. The game was also at The Rec..... plenty more of that, please.

Originally posted by robbinho@Nov 2 2005, 08:47 AM
The one England perofrmance last seaosnw ith an innovative back-play was the A game against the French, and Ashton was the coach. The game was also at The Rec..... plenty more of that, please.
Also ******* down with rain that day I seem to remember, so bodes well for the ability of the man.

Originally posted by robbinho@Nov 1 2005, 09:47 PM
He's also a shoo-in for the Volvo Estate Massive Boot Award after his droppy v Gloucester a couple of weeks back)
Meh. Nick Beal hit one from 60 metres against Leicester once. At Welford Road.

That one went down in Franklins Gardens folklore.
<

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby@Nov 1 2005, 09:56 PM
Meh. Nick Beal hit one from 60 metres against Leicester once. At Welford Road.
Gert Peens did that against Ireland in the 6N a few years back. It was so random, he was just running and then he hit it, no wind-up or anything. I couldn't believe it when it went over.

It's su-f***ing-perb. John Connolly has undoubtedly done a fantastic job in restoring the club after those two seasons toying with relegation, but it's pretty clear that he can't take the club much further. A huge thanks to Knuckles for staying around for the last couple of months though. He was fully entitled to go back to Oz in June.

With Foley in charge of the forwards and Ashton with the backs, I'm pretty excited about the next few seasons. Ashton's a Bath man, through and through, and that's what the club needs. What the man can do with Barkley, Davis and Cheeseman is mouthwatering.

Roll on 1st January. Foles is in charge for December, with Knuckles leaving at the end of the month. Hopefully be the time Ashton arrives, we'll still be in the running in all three competitions (although he'll have to do something pretty special if we're to challenge in the HC).

PS. Molly's never going to be the world's best 10, but he's the sort of player you can bring on to really kill off a game and pin a team back. He's got the sweetest DG in the Premiership, plus he's always a safe bet for floating out a nice interception to keep the same interesting.

Ask any London Irish supporter whether malone is a worthy opponent. He's won 3 of the last 4 games against them with a last-minute drop goal.

And who are Bath playing this weekend........ that's right.

Latest posts