• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Asian 5 Nations

T

Tamarro

Asian 5 nation - Where do we go from here

Asian 5 Nation championship is a way forward for rugby in Asia to thrive. Japan, Hong Kong, Korea, Kazakhstan and Arabian Gulf will get their opportunity to play in the inaugural Championship which starts in April.

Unlike soccer, there is a mass gap between the top nations and the developing nation in rugby. For example, when Japan played All Blacks some years back, they were trashed by a century, but Japan too managed to thrash teams like Singapore or Malaysia which we consider to be the top teams in South East Asia with that score.

How can we narrow that gap between the nations?

The answer is simple, more playing time.

The kids in the Rugby Playing Nation took up the game when they were toddlers still in their diapers. The kids in Asian rugby nations took up the game when they were 12-13 whilst in Brunei, most of them took up the game at the age of 16. So when the boys in Brunei trying to figure out whats the difference between ruck and maul, it is already a second nature for their peers in New Zealand, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, England, France … etc.

Thanks to guys like Johannas ‘Hans’ Hickey, Ben Peacocke, Tladi Small, Simon Harris (and more) … now we can see boys in Brunei (my boys included) taking up the game at 6 or 7 years old.

I took up the game when I was 13 and just like any Asian parents, my mum was against it. My dad was for it because he too played the game when he was in school (but then what can he say hehehehe!). I was lucky that I can hide all the scars and bruises from my mom, because I only see them once in 3 months (I went to a boarding school). The school that I went to has a rugby tradition. We have all the collections of State and National Champion trophies in our Trophy room. So, by default, rugby is the No.1 sports in the school.

We want to create that tradition here in Brunei. In Malaysia they have STAR Ipoh, MCKK, King Edward School of Taiping, Royal Military College and Sekolah Menengah Sains Selangor. In Singapore they have Anglo Chinese School and Raffles Institution whilst in Thailand they have Vajiravudh College and King’s College. I am happy to see boys from SOAS college, Sharif Ali and Awang Semaun are creating that culture.

So, where do we go from here.

BRFU is working hard to work on the playing path for these school going players. The more they play the more rugby comes as a second nature to them. As they say it in Malay ‘melentung buluh biar dari rebongnya‘. Our aim now is not to be the World Champion. Our aim now is to be at par with the regional rugby playing nation. Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore have been playing the game for more that 80 years. BRFU was only formed 4 years ago. There is no way in the world that we can beat these nations today, but with proper planning, I believe Brunei can beat them tomorrow.

Brunei has been clustered with the other rugby developing nation in the region. To beat Indonesia, Cambodia, Laos, Guam and Philippines is within our grasp. If we can beat these 5 nations constantly within the next 5-6 years (hopefully with only local talents), we have achieved our first mission and we move forward from there on.

Brunei will play Philippines and Guam in June / July for the regional IRB Championship

:)

Hey Tamarro, first of all, awesome article about the state of the lesser known parts of Asian rugby!

I was wondering what direction do the SE Asian Rugby nations want to take for developing their game in the future? Will they try to maybe forge alliances and eventually do multi-national leagues like that of the Magners League, NA4 or the Super 14? Is there a chance that the likes of Malaysia could improve enough to take on the likes of Japan?

sounds like a good tourney

Prestwick says:

spam%20boy.jpg

Got my official RWC 2007 souvenir mag in front of me with the qualification rounds and it looks like Sri Lanka would of been a MUCH more competitive choice, than Malaysia. In a fact a couple more teams did better than them. Being India and China. India beating them 48-12.

Japan beat Hong Kong 52-3, Arabian (Persian) Gulf 82-9, and South Korea 54-0 en route to qualify for RWC 2007.

I'm glad steps are being taken by these Asian teams to improve their current rugby standard.

The more, the merrier

The IRB was quiet about this tournament, when was it approved?

Got my official RWC 2007 souvenir mag in front of me with the qualification rounds and it looks like Sri Lanka would of been a MUCH more competitive choice, than Malaysia. In a fact a couple more teams did better than them. Being India and China. India beating them 48-12.

Japan beat Hong Kong 52-3, Arabian (Persian) Gulf 82-9, and South Korea 54-0 en route to qualify for RWC 2007.

I'm glad steps are being taken by these Asian teams to improve their current rugby standard.

The more, the merrier

The IRB was quiet about this tournament, when was it approved? [/b]

Approved a couple of days ago, was on PlanetRugby.com

just thought I'd tell you this, Both Rory and Tony Underwood were half chinese, with their mother being from Hong Kong (I think) even though Tony was born in Malaysia and Rory was born in M'boro.

Francois Trinh-Duc has Vietnamese heritage, hence his Vietnamese surname but his previous generation were French and he probably knows nothing to do with Vietnam.

Both Underwoods were the first brothers to represent England since 1937 and Rory was a amazing player at the time. Trinh-Duc is only 21, but breaking through the French National Team and is probably one for the future. This shows players with Asian heritage can play rugby, but we need more products coming out of Asia and playing for their own national team.

Latest posts