• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Aspiring uni level player, do I bulk or cut please?

Nathan

Academy Player
Obviously as a novice it's likely I'd be placed on the wing, but in the same sense there would be most competition there so maybe a different position further up the pitch? Either way, my main question is doI bulk or cut? I'm currently 174cm 74kg (fasted) and still bulking. I'm not massively lean, but not fat either. I can attach pictures if necessary). If I cut then theoretically I'd be quicker and have better conditioning, but at a heavier weight I'd have more momentum so would be harder to tackle. Any advice please?

Outside centre one in from wing.
Speed needed but also bulk to break tackle and make them.
Kick chase needed.
Strength to stay on feet over ball.
Reps floor to feet .
A totally unrepresentative example.
13s
Henry Slade 96 kg
Robbie Henshaw 102 kg.
Both quick as well.
Weight is something not to worry about skill sets from playing is what you need.

At amateur level in the outside backs all you need are skills and a bit of pace. Physique isnt that important.

That said i always found the game easier going once i breached 80kgs lean. Hits dont hurt as much.

If we are talking pros then there are very few players smaller than 90kg+. Many wingers rely purely on their bulk like Naholo etc.

Only a few pros are sufficiently skilled to excel without also being physically up to standard. DMac comes to mind. Halfpenny a northern example (although he is bulky for a midget).

Get generally fit and go try a few positions. See what you enjoy / are good at, the answer may surprise you. Then you can worry about specific conditioning.

As others say, put more emphasis on skills.

Latest posts