• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

August 17 Q&A with HB - Answers

I highly doubt they have any worries at all - Wallabies Rugby Challenge and All Blacks Rugby Challenge it doesn't get much better than that in the brand development committee weekly meeting.

Never said they should be worried, but the official game of the Rugby world cup being held in New Zealand and not featuring any New Zealand players probably wasn't what they had planned when they went exclusive.

Financially it won't make much difference to them anyway, if people don't know who the All Blacks and Wallabies are I doubt a game will change that and suddenly make them want to buy tickets and merchandise

I'm pretty sure there are size limits on patches as they are offered free Sony and MS don't like it clogging up there network to much. Squad updates are more than just a couple of names here and there, all the player likeness needs to be in it aswell along with a way of locking off some of the players that are no longer in the squad.

Some companies like EA other 'free' DLC so they are still getting charged by MS and Sony for it as its no longer a patch, but its normally followed up with paid DLC which will cover those costs.

Age of Empires Online had a patch upwards of 2GB and I know it is on GFWL but XBLM and GFWL are on the same network.

Why were my questions not answered? They were on the first page, and I re-posted them
in this thread too.

Never said they should be worried, but the official game of the Rugby world cup being held in New Zealand and not featuring any New Zealand players probably wasn't what they had planned when they went exclusive.

Financially it won't make much difference to them anyway, if people don't know who the All Blacks and Wallabies are I doubt a game will change that and suddenly make them want to buy tickets and merchandise

Hardly Ironic that two rugby making game developers have decided to make a rugby game and release it close to the RWC when peoples interest is at its highest. I expect NZ and AUS are kicking themselves about going exclusive keeping themselves out of the official world cup game. Hind sight is a wonderful thing though

"Kicking themselves" I associate with regret which is past the worried stage, I am sure the Aussies and Kiwis involved knew full well what they were getting with the deal. I am sure they wanted to support the Aussie/Kiwi game makers too, I am sure big backers like Adidas also got involved, I am sure part of the deal was the game ***les - Wallabies Rugby Challenge and All Blacks Rugby Challenge.

Financially it makes a huge difference, I cannot reason with your second point, it appears you have come full circle to your original point. Now you say licences are irrelevant, we all know who the All Blacks and Wallabies are anyway. If that was the case why do you think they would be kicking themselves over not appearing in the official world cup game, they are not going to sell any more tickets or merchandise are they?

I not taking sides with either game, though you seem to have an agenda with either Sidhe's game, or the two nations for not signing with HB.

After having no rugby game for nearly four years, it's the fans that are really being let down by licenses or lack of, with both games.

can we edit players name, features and attributes for unlicensed team like Samoa, Fiji and Tonga???

"Kicking themselves" I associate with regret which is past the worried stage, I am sure the Aussies and Kiwis involved knew full well what they were getting with the deal. I am sure they wanted to support the Aussie/Kiwi game makers too, I am sure big backers like Adidas also got involved, I am sure part of the deal was the game ***les - Wallabies Rugby Challenge and All Blacks Rugby Challenge.

Financially it makes a huge difference, I cannot reason with your second point, it appears you have come full circle to your original point. Now you say licences are irrelevant, we all know who the All Blacks and Wallabies are anyway. If that was the case why do you think they would be kicking themselves over not appearing in the official world cup game, they are not going to sell any more tickets or merchandise are they?

I not taking sides with either game, though you seem to have an agenda with either Sidhe's game, or the two nations for not signing with HB.

After having no rugby game for nearly four years, it's the fans that are really being let down by licenses or lack of, with both games.

I think your reading into my opinion a bit to much. Just on a personal level they will be kicking themselves, and I doubt they knew that HB were signing an exclusive licence for the Webb Ellis Cup. At the time this game was just called Rugby 2012 and I'm fairly sure Rugby Challenge wasn't even announced.

Don't forget HES are the publisher for rugby challenge and responsible for all the licences that Sidhe have and I'm not entirely sure what sort of agenda I could have? Either way I have RWC pre ordered and will get Rugby Challenge after I've finished with F1 2011, probably as an Xmas pressie. As you say, were the ones losing out from the lack of licences and getting two half games, but we can also support both games and hope sequels are just around the corner :)

When he was talking about being clever with future releases I bet he meant the next lions tour

i just want to know if samoa tonga fiji etc wil have there haka in the game

I think your reading into my opinion a bit to much. Just on a personal level they will be kicking themselves, and I doubt they knew that HB were signing an exclusive licence for the Webb Ellis Cup. At the time this game was just called Rugby 2012 and I'm fairly sure Rugby Challenge wasn't even announced.

Haha I will take that as a compliment that I am articulate, I can't argue with someone who thinks I am reading into their opinion too much. Who knows if Sidhe knew of HB's intentions, the only thing on record is they did not realize two games where on the horizon. I thought it would be HB would be kicking themselves that's what sparked the response. To have the official license for the Web Ellis Cup and not secure the two biggest teams is a howler, and a huge scoop for Sidhe. I think this is a first in video games, an officially licensed tournament that is not officially licensed if that makes any sense, I cannot remember this happening to any other sports video game.

Personally, it's not a big problem for me, but from reading other people's opinions it's a much bigger issue, especially as rugby games are a rare species these days.

All sounds great, thanks for answering the questions. Only 5 days to go now and my first day of 10 days off work starts on friday. I know how im going to be spending it :) Would be good if they could add some sevens to the next game. Seen as it is an olympics sport now. I see a 2012 release with new competitions and sevens so the olympics buzz helps to sell the game. Well I hope anyway ;)

Thanks again guys.

anyone noticed payment leave their accout yet for pre orders? game website said about a week before. just know that something will mess up my order

Good to get an update and i think its a definite positive that they're talking about getting a patch on. I've hammered the demo into submission now and the one thing i think is really important to change is the Support runners.

Support runners never sprint, they trail behind. I can't even comprehend how difficult it must be to make a rugby game and understand that with the constraints it can't be perfect. One little tweak though would go a long way.

Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with the demo, it does play well and I'll certainly be buying this game. First thing Friday morning, I've even taken the day off work as annual leave- BOOM!

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Just hope Jamie Roberts' chin has been faithfully recreated :p

Cancelled pre order :p :p

Jokes.

Thanks for taking the time out to answer the questions, counting down to 26th :D :D

LOL, The 'skin colour' editor is going to get a beasting with Wlesh players.

My point I'm trying to make and I think some would agree on this,is that though two games is great after a 4 year drought I would have rather have had 1 game with at least all of the 6 Nations and Tri-Nations teams licensed.

Instead of feeling spoiled for choice,I'm feeling that it does not really matter which pick I make I will be left short changed.Do I select RWC 2011 and have a licensed Bok team which I support,But can not play the Aus/NZ teams as licensed teams?Or do I go for option B which has a greater variety of competition,but only a handful of licensed teams.Buying both games is a great idea,BUT you can still not play them against each other .

My question was when during the development phase does the licensing issue get sorted.Assuming RWC 2011 was not done in the last 3 months alone at some point HB had to come to the realization that there is an issue with two of the biggest teams in the sport and it might negatively effect their product popularity.Assuming I am not the only non Ausie/NZ disappointed with the licensing issue.

Would have been absolutely brilliant if these to companies could have come to an agreement on shared licensing fees (if the unions agreed,which they probably would,since it would have given more exposure to the game) and let the games fight it out on the sales chart......But that would mean thinking about the game of rugby and the customer instead of what matters most to these guys,the profit margin.

Shared licences according to one of the HB posters wouldn't work which I understand. No company is going to agree to share a feature with a competing company in a niche market. It's not something we all appreciate but that's the way the business is.

Shared licences according to one of the HB posters wouldn't work which I understand. No company is going to agree to share a feature with a competing company in a niche market. It's not something we all appreciate but that's the way the business is.

The USA licence is shared

The USA licence is shared

True, it's a pretty small license though.

At least the games have good editors. It's a shame RWC doesn't appear to change appearances, but at least the names will be right.

When we get the game and download the patch, what fixes does it contain and will we see any differences from the demo?

Latest posts