• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Aussies 'stealing' NZ players

I stopped reading here:
"There are several players not available to us for this tour because they want to play for other countries,"

If they're eligible for X country and they want to play for X country and are selected by X country then that's the end of it, really.

I stopped reading here:

If they're eligible for X country and they want to play for X country and are selected by X country then that's the end of it, really.

Yeah the Fijian coach did not make a good argument, sounded almost a little unstable at points...

Yeah - weird interview. I don't understand the logic of getting upset over players who are being paid and developed by other countries, not playing for your team. It's a shame he doesn't mention names - cause I'd be interested in exactly who he believes is 'poached'. I think he'd have a good point if he was talking about players who weren't going on tour because they weren't being released or being threatened with contract termination by their clubs - such is the case with several French teams - but that's very different from 14 year olds moving to a different country for development and oppertunities and thus eventually choosing that country as their home.

I used to think these convo's got annoying on the forum but it's even worse in higher up rugby circles these days :D

Tew has added his voice to the catfight....

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,9817_8195588,00.html
This annoys me:

Harris and Australia Rugby Union CEO John O'Neill hit back, comparing Australia's "thefts'' to those by the NZRU in the Pacific Islands.
Goes to show how ignorant they are of NZ's situation.

Comments are dumber than the ones seen on here.

Everybody takes players from everywhere. It sucks.
We all suffer and are all to blame.

The way I look at it is the intention. Harris had not played S14 when he was signed, so you can't blame him for leaving for a better offer. If NZ wanted him, they could have submitted a competitive contract.

What I don't like is signing 'big' players with intention capping (Maitland, WP Nel).
I am not too sure of the whole Aaron Jarvis situation in Wales. He wasn't a massive player for Bath and I cannot recall ever being tipped for England, so it isn't like we plucked him from the nasty RFU. At the same time, it is only his grandmother, and he has hardly lived in Wales (as far as I know). Then you get to players like Dirksen, a South African who was first tipped for the US and now Wales. By the time he is WQ, he will have lived in Wales for five years. He also developed his rugby within Wales, going from the RFC's to Ospreys 1st XV.

It is a tough situation to call, as it cannot be done on a case-by-case basis. I'd personally be in favour of dropping grandparents, and extending qualification beyond 36-months.

Its not Harris and John Conley with a problem its your Coach who is kicking up a fuss.

The Plot thickens
http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/t...d-to-tour-europe/story-e6frf4pu-1226505204014
No, my point still stands - his opinion is baseless and ignorant (at best regarding NZ "poaching"). Regardless of who's kicking up a fuss or who started it, the fact that he (O'Neill) believes it enough to say it, is my issue.

The 'who shot first' herring doesn't excuse the ignorance.

Also to the point of Kerr-Barlow; he moved here with a Kiwi father - BEFORE the ARU even started developing him. Sorry bros, but this doesn't count.
:p:lol:
Laughable that (based on the ignorant comments in the article) Aussies think that way. Reaching. At. Straws.

I really am sorry - but Aussies are wrong on this one. I really am. Really, really, really sorry about that..... :lol:

Last edited:
Guys it's clear that we are never going to agree, this could go back and forth for years. I'm just going to say everyone's right, no one is wrong. Players can play for whoever they choose to, happy days.

site_1_rand_793795505_deans_wallabies_rugby_b_0708_aap.jpg

Guys it's clear that we are never going to agree, this could go back and forth for years. I'm just going to say everyone's right, no one is wrong. Players can play for whoever they choose to, happy days.

View attachment 1980

I agree, speaking for myself, having grown up through the New Zealand rugby system and being unable to further my career here I am about to move across the ditch

View attachment 1980
I can agree with this. The only thing I vehemently disagree with is O'Neill's/ARUs ignorant remarks about NZ poaching; when it is clearly a byproduct of NZ society.

Also to the point of Kerr-Barlow; he moved here with a Kiwi father - BEFORE the ARU even started developing him. Sorry bros, but this doesn't count. :p:lol:
Laughable that (based on the ignorant comments in the article) Aussies think that way. Reaching. At. Straws.

Actually, what I heard is that he came here at the age of 13, on his own, from Darwin (that hotbed of junior rugby development
icon_rolleyes.gif
) and boarded at Hamilton Boys HS

Last edited:
I can agree with this. The only thing I vehemently disagree with is O'Neill's/ARUs ignorant remarks about NZ poaching; when it is clearly a byproduct of NZ society.

Fair enough, fair to say the media has been doing a great job promoting rugby over the past week or so :)

Actually, what I heard is that he came here at the age of 13, on his own, from Darwin (that hotbed of junior rugby development
icon_rolleyes.gif
) and boarded at Hamilton Boys HS

It's amazing what a kid will do to get their hands on a lifetime supply of waikato draught :)

I'm not saying that that chiefs guy who I never herd of should not be playing for the all blacks I'm all for people playing for what ever country they chose. Come on you guys just admit that your coach said something stupid because he was angry that Harris is from NZ and kicked some goals

I'm not saying that that chiefs guy who I never herd of should not be playing for the all blacks I'm all for people playing for what ever country they chose. Come on you guys just admit that your coach said something stupid because he was angry that Harris is from NZ and kicked some goals

mate, they'll just come back with "your former CEO is stupid for saying that all NZ players are from PI"

it's a stalemate...

Looks like the more this thread progresses, the more people are being called ignorant and the NZ'ers plead not guilty on all charges...

Just glad I'm not the only ignorant ******* anymore...

mate, they'll just come back with "your former CEO is stupid for saying that all NZ players are from PI"

it's a stalemate...

I think you'll find most people were arguing against the stupid counter-argument and idea that the Aussies (and some others) were coming up with (which is NZ is poaching) and not really about defending Hansen's comments.

Apart from Harris, who was NZ developed the rest of the Kiwis playing for AU are generally just made fun of for being kiwis - and not that they are illegitimately playing there or were 'poached'.

So I'm not really sure what you guys are saying.

neither do I to be honest. I just think it's a big media beatup considering it happened over a week ago, they are still taking commments on the foxsports website and have strung it out with the whole kerr-barlow thing now. can anyone say 'slow week in rugby'. i'm sure they'll try to string it out until the first spring international :)

how about the reports that hansen is going to blood a new captain on the spring tour?

neither do I to be honest. I just think it's a big media beatup considering it happened over a week ago, they are still taking commments on the foxsports website and have strung it out with the whole kerr-barlow thing now. can anyone say 'slow week in rugby'. i'm sure they'll try to string it out until the first spring international :)

how about the reports that hansen is going to blood a new captain on the spring tour?

Haven't heard that to be honest - but I suppose with McCaw not playing most of next year, it has to be done. Don't think there are any suprises on who it will be. Kieran Read surely will take it (and deserves to as he's been NZ's best player for a while) with I suppose Daniel Carter being an outside shot. Hope D.C gets at least one game as captain because with the career he's had he deserves it, and he was injured during the RWC when he was going to cpatain against Canada.

Latest posts