• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia loses it's best fullback...

F

Fushitsusha

Dang...

Brumbies fullback Mark Gerrard signs with Japanese rugby club

Gerrard requested the release from the third year of his contract with the Brumbies and Australian Rugby Union so he could take up an offer with Japanese second division club, NTT Communications.

The 26-year-old cited the desire for his young family to experience a foreign culture as the reason behind seeking the release.

Gerrard has earned 79 Super rugby caps and is third on the Brumbies list of all-time point scorers with 306 points, behind Stirling Mortlock (963) and Joe Roff (590).

He made his Super debut with the Waratahs in 2002 and moved to the Brumbies the following year.

He helped the Brumbies to their Super 12 ***le in 2004 with a three-try haul against the Crusaders in the final.

Gerrard said after nine seasons of Super rugby he was ready for a new challenge.

“My family and I have loved our time at the Brumbies and in Canberra and we'll always consider ourselves members of the Brumbies family,'' Gerrard said.

“(My wife) Larisa and I have always wanted to experience a different culture and our children are at a good age for us to do that now.

“I definitely wouldn't rule out the possibility of returning to play in Australia and pulling on the Brumbies strip again.''

So who will be the Wallaby fullback this year?

We're not left with many options with Shepherd being a bit out of shape and not playing fullback... Mitchell is great in attack but hopeless in defence...

Another year of AAC out of position?

Laaaame...

I believe Robie Deans wants james O'Connor to spend more time at fullback.
Im not a subscriber to either AAC or Mitchell at fullback

Second division in Japan? Has the man lost it? They must be paying him a fortune and hoping for a commercial boom with the sale of Jerseys with 'Gerrard' on the back.

I'd prefer Mitchell at fullback as your next best option. The Real Madrid school of 'lets score loads and hope we let in less'.

Jeez i cant believe he's only 26, he should have maybe went after the next world cup but not now. Utter madness :mellow:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BLR @ Apr 24 2009, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hehe, I can't help but laugh at this ***le.[/b]

Have you been watching the Super 14 this year?

Gerrard is currently the best fullback in Australia by a mile...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Incredible Schalk @ Apr 24 2009, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Jeez i cant believe he's only 26, he should have maybe went after the next world cup but not now. Utter madness :mellow:[/b]

It's really Deans' fault...

Gerrard wasn't even considered for the extended Wallaby squad last year despite there being nothing separating him and Shepherd...

Despite the fact that he's by far the best fullback in the country right now doesn't necessarily mean that Deans won't overlook him again, and then he'll miss out on top up money from the ARU...

He's got a young family and he's looking out for them... he can't risk getting screwed over by Deans again...

I dont think deans had much input into team selections last year during the southern hemisphere test series. But I agree with fushi in that there was very little separating gerard and sheps last year. Gerrard should have been there instead of all the part timers when sheps broke down.

Latest posts