Australian Conference Question

Al Bangor

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
United States
With the Sunwolves leaving the conference after next season I was wondering if there's another city in Australia that would be a good place to add a new side? What about Adelaide? Has there been any talk of adding another to get the conference back up to five so it will be equal with the other conferences? Just curious. Thanks.

Last edited:
With the Sunwolves leaving the conference after next season I was wondering if there's another city in Australia that would be a good place to add a new side? What about Adelaide? Has there been any talk of adding another to get the conference back up to five so it will be equal with the other conferences? Just curious. Thanks.

A couple of years ago they got rid of Perth from Super Rugby, and the ongoing trend is to reduce the number of sides and revert to a round robin format. While conferences have proven popular in the Pro14 in Europe, the consensus is that they don't like then in the SH.

The only new Pro Aussie side you'll see anywhere will be if they manage to create one for Global Rapid Rugby.

The Great Experiment has failed... its over; there will be no replacement team. Super Rugby reverts the the 14 team format from 2021

The 14-team round robin format will see the removal of the current three conference system and will see each team play every other team home or away each season. This means 13 matches for each team, with two byes, in the regular season with the number of home and away matches varying from six to seven based on a two-year alternate match schedule.

This will then lead into a new three-week, best versus best, super-charged, top six finals series. The top two ranked teams on the competition ladder will receive a bye in week one before hosting semi-final matches against the winners from a knockout round between teams ranked three to six.

IMO, this is batshit crazy. There is no reason why they could not have had a 15-team competition and done the same thing - a round robin with a bye built into every round and a top six finals series. The whole competition could be run over the same number of weeks.

Last edited:
Thank you both for your input. I appreciate it. :cool:

A couple of years ago they got rid of Perth from Super Rugby, and the ongoing trend is to reduce the number of sides and revert to a round robin format. While conferences have proven popular in the Pro14 in Europe, the consensus is that they don't like then in the SH.

The only new Pro Aussie side you'll see anywhere will be if they manage to create one for Global Rapid Rugby.

They've got one in the Western Force, the team from Perth that was formally in SupeRugby. I think the owner of the Force is the guy who started Global Rapid Rugby. I've watched the first two matches online and really enjoy the faster pace of Rapid Rugby. Most ot those players are completely gassed by the end of the match.

They've got one in the Western Force, the team from Perth that was formally in SupeRugby. I think the owner of the Force is the guy who started Global Rapid Rugby. I've watched the first two matches online and really enjoy the faster pace of Rapid Rugby. Most ot those players are completely gassed by the end of the match.

Yes, sorry - I could have been clearer. They removed Perth from Super Rugby (in dubious cirumstances) so Andrew Forrest is bankrolling Rapid Rugby in order to:

a) keep pro rugby alive in Perth
b) explore opportunities in new territories while Super Rugby contracts back to its core SANZAAR territories.

Yes, sorry - I could have been clearer. They removed Perth from Super Rugby (in dubious cirumstances) so Andrew Forrest is bankrolling Rapid Rugby in order to:

a) keep pro rugby alive in Perth
b) explore opportunities in new territories while Super Rugby contracts back to its core SANZAAR territories.

Hi Bruce. Global Rapid Rugby announced their broadcast schedule today (Western Australia times). I plan on watching as many of these matches as I can online. I think they'll probably have replays as well. I enjoyed watching the two matches that the Western Force played in March. :cool:

https://www.rapidrugby.com/on-the-air-everywhere/?fbclid=IwAR0k4cdIME_o1q6soUC1VgUykPcaXZJwKOgyVIBcapUgplWXnhqe06iGqDg

Last edited:

Latest posts