• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Autumn Tests Replaced

Wait one group is England (ranked 3rd, world up finalist), Ireland (ranked 4th, world cup quarter finalist), Wales (ranked 6th, world cup semi finalist) and Fiji (ranked 11th, didn;t make it out the groups)
The other is France (ranked 5th, QF), Scotland (8th, didn't make it out the group stage), Japan (9th, QF), and Italy (14th, didn't make it out the groups)

Look at that one Ireland and Wales should not be England's group in place of Scotland or Japan

Be interesting to see how this affects the domestic competitions. I know EJ has already voiced concern that players could be at risk if they don't get a proper break.

Wait one group is England (ranked 3rd, world up finalist), Ireland (ranked 4th, world cup quarter finalist), Wales (ranked 6th, world cup semi finalist) and Fiji (ranked 11th, didn;t make it out the groups)
The other is France (ranked 5th, QF), Scotland (8th, didn't make it out the group stage), Japan (9th, QF), and Italy (14th, didn't make it out the groups)

Look at that one Ireland and Wales should not be England's group in place of Scotland or Japan
Think it's to do with the rearranged Six Nations games - they're all Group A vs Group B games, I think (and happen the month before this comp).

Be interesting to see how this affects the domestic competitions. I know EJ has already voiced concern that players could be at risk if they don't get a proper break.

I know things are far from normal but this means a tournament involving the 6N teams starting a fortnight after the 2020 6 N concludes and finishing within 2 months of the 2021 6N starting. I'm sure I'll watch some of it but I can't say the idea really floats my boat. It's a financial decision - understandably.

I know things are far from normal but this means a tournament involving the 6N teams starting a fortnight after the 2020 6 N concludes and finishing within 2 months of the 2021 6N starting. I'm sure I'll watch some of it but I can't say the idea really floats my boat. It's a financial decision - understandably.

Well the new domestic season won't be able to start in September and so they will already be a month behind. If they want to finish the season normally to try and prepare for the 21/22 season they will have to play games more often. On top now there seems to be a rather intense period of international matches and then as you said there is the regular six nations within 2 months. Further I believe there have been a slight increase in injuries in most sports where players are not ready for the intensity after such a long time off, even with training. Rugby is more intense physically than most sports, so players will be more at risk of injury. Overall it seems very risky to player welfare.

Better than nothing.

How's it going to fit in with domestic schedules though.

Think an oppor5was missed to make this a European Championships event with Georgia and Russia.
An event like this every 4 years would be a great addition.
There could be qualification for Nations Cup from this event.

Also means 6N is not changed.

Does it really matter though?

The EOYT games are usually a one-off game between nations.

Does it really matter though?

The EOYT games are usually a one-off game between nations.
Its a competition with one assumes a trophy and bragging rights. If they want fans to be invested they need make the completion worthwhile.

Agreed. It feels somewhat unbalanced for 3 of the highest ranked teams to be in one group. In terms of rankings, it means that the two strongest teams in the tournament can't possibly face each other in the final which seems a little off ...

That said, rankings aren't everything and post 6N, I think there's very little to choose between France and the home nations.

I get that the groups are done so that no one plays the same team they just played in the 6N, but still having the winners of every 6N since 2010 in the same group is not a good look.

Surely they could have swapped Wales and Scotland?

Personally loving the group. After so long without rugby I just want to see Wales involved in some cracking matches and games vs Ireland, England and Fiji are just what the doctor ordered.

Saying that, France and Japan would have been great games as well. The one game I wouldn't be that fussed on is vs Italy I suppose.

Agreed. It feels somewhat unbalanced for 3 of the highest ranked teams to be in one group. In terms of rankings, it means that the two strongest teams in the tournament can't possibly face each other in the final which seems a little off ...

That said, rankings aren't everything and post 6N, I think there's very little to choose between France and the home nations.

Just blame it on Brexit...

Latest posts