The Dorset Drinker
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bath
shaggyblog.jpg

Hi all, I'm back for Shaggy's Blog part 4

This time i've chosen to write a little outside of my comfort zone, and write about Rugby refereeing, and more specifically, with regard to the up coming Rugby World Cup.

… now for the disclaimer – I am not attempting to assign any blame to Referees, or make any excuses for any future results that may or may not occur during the Rugby World Cup. :D

It is still my belief that a teams success or failure will predominantly be determined by their ability to assert their own style/carry out their game plan, to create game plans specific to the opposition that they are playing, and to adapt/change the plan during the game if necessary. How a teams select and manage their playing personnel will also be a major factor.

In other words, the major factors that will determine a teams success or failure, will be in their own hands.

Having said all of that, I know that there will probably be moments during the RWC where contraversial incidents will occur as the result of Referee's rulings.

Some of these moments will undoubtedly occur as the result of short comings in the existing system, where the Referee cannot maximise or make the most of the help available (such as the Television Match Official), in making a correct decision, however my aim is not to look at use of technology. Nor is it to scrutinise the individual laws, or to suggest law changes to make the game better or the rulings clearer.

My aim is to look at how the existing laws will be applied in a general sense ... Yes, it's that old Bugbear, the Referee's interpretations.

At the annual IRB High Performance Referees meeting in London during November last year, the Top Referees and Referee Managers agreed that consistency was the key component to be adopted globally.

Source:- http://www.oceaniarugby.com/101109_c...e.html/ref/267

This stands to reason, and in my opinion, should be the primary goal of all of the appointed Rugby World Cup match officials, but it's not easily achieved.

At the same meeting, five key areas were identified as particular areas that consistency needed to be applied. These areas were in accordance with directives issued to all Unions in November 2009, (offsides at the ruck, offside from kicks, illegal maul formation causing obstruction, scrum engagement sequence, and accuracy of application of the tacke law).

We have since had the November test matches, the Six nations, the Heineken Cup, Aviva/Top 14/Magners league, and Super Rugby all having been completed or nearing completion. While there has undoubtedly been an effort and emphasis for Referees to address these areas of the game, whether there has been consistency from between referees, across all of these tournaments, is debatable, as each of these international tournaments (Six Nations, SANZAR etc), can issue there own directives with regard to rulings (thanks Smart Cooky).

The difference in the style of play, speed of play, and relative strengths of some teams in some areas (scrums), combined with some of these areas, such as offsides at the ruck, scrum engagements, and the tackle law, being areas that are difficult to police, make being consistent and making the correct decision, difficult at times.

While these areas are undoubtedly challenging areas for the referees, it's critical that globally, all of the referees all need to be on same page with regard to what they are policing, and that the highest level of consistency possible is achieved.

I believe that the referees have made a pretty good effort in trying to apply rulings consistently, and hopefully will not spring any last minute changes in areas of emphasis immediately prior to the RWC, but at the end of the day, the rulings are applied by the individuals officiating in the particular matches - as long as they are consistent themselves, the number of controversial moments should be kept to a minimum.

Teams could be assisted further by actually having the World Cup referees assigned to officiate in the remaining test matches prior to the RWC, as this will allow teams they can get use to how those refs will run games during the RWC

… yes, you heard it, an All Black supporter actually requesting a Northern Hemisphere referee. :D

Consistency hah. Just look at the scrums no ref has the same pace also ther own pace isn't always the same. Maybe a dictophone should be used.

Consistency hah. Just look at the scrums no ref has the same pace also ther own pace isn't always the same. Maybe a dictophone should be used.

There is a very good reason for that.

As part of scrum management, referees are instructed to adjust the pace according to compliance. If the packs are complying, there are few or no resets and things are going along just fine, then the referee can shorten the cadence of CTPE, which allows the players to play a greater part in controlling the engagement. On the other hand, non-compliance will lead likely lead to a lengthening of the engagement sequence so that the referee takes back control. This is especially so if one or other of the front rows keeps going early; the referee should then slow down the CTPE so that they do not jump the engage instruction

There is a very good reason for that.

As part of scrum management, referees are instructed to adjust the pace according to compliance. If the packs are complying, there are few or no resets and things are going along just fine, then the referee can shorten the cadence of CTPE, which allows the players to play a greater part in controlling the engagement. On the other hand, non-compliance will lead likely lead to a lengthening of the engagement sequence so that the referee takes back control. This is especially so if one or other of the front rows keeps going early; the referee should then slow down the CTPE so that they do not jump the engage instruction

Makes sense, it's hard to see what else they could do. A really tough area of the game to get right. :)

Most superxv refs i've talked to are all very clear on what the refs are trying to do at scrum time now, and all of them have told me the same stuff. So there seems to be a consistent understanding all round. (i'd assume this extends to the NH).

Further to this, I see that Graham Henry and co are concerned with the consistency of how the breakdown is being reffed, as per this article from NZ's stuff website

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...l-Blacks-raise-ruckus-over-rucks-at-World-Cup

All Blacks coaches raise ruckus over rucks
TONY SMITH AND GREG FORD Last updated 05:00 02/06/2011

CONCERN: The All Blacks coaches are anxious to avoid the tackle area becoming a "big concern" at the Rugby World Cup

The All Blacks coaches are anxious to avoid the tackle area becoming a "big concern" at the Rugby World Cup because of differing interpretations by northern and southern hemisphere referees.

Backs coach Wayne Smith said the coaches had watched northern hemisphere matches on the Rugby Channel and detected "a big difference in the way the breakdown is being refereed".

"Guys are piling into rucks from all directions and flopping over the ball and getting away with it. It's a big concern and we are making them known to the appropriate people," Smith said.

All Blacks coach Graham Henry was to talk to Sanzar referees boss Lyndon Bray this week about tackle area concerns. Bray said they had already had a conversation on the subject, but he thought the All Blacks coaches' concerns were "closer to home, in terms of us getting it right in Super rugby in the way we are playing it and the way referees interpret it".

"I think Graham is keen to make sure we are heading in the right direction prior to the start of the international rugby season," Bray said. "He's raised that with me and we're due to have another phone conversation this week. That's certainly my job, to keep in touch with all those guys."

Bray was confident northern and southern hemisphere referees would be on the same page at the World Cup because they had been working together on the breakdown interpretation issue.

"We share our information with [International Rugby Board referees chief] Paddy O'Brien and also openly share it with our European colleagues."

Officials collected statistics from key competitions, including the Super 15, European rugby championships and the Tri-Nations and Six Nations international series and the information was "shared across both hemispheres", Bray said. Standard interpretations will be vital at the World Cup to ensure the breakdown is policed correctly and consistently. Some coaches are understood to be concerned that if the tackle area becomes a mess again teams could be encouraged to revert to the conservative kicking tactics which blighted rugby in 2009.

The International Rugby Board introduced directives last year aimed at cleaning up the breakdown by insisting a tackler must release the ball carrier and get to this feet before attempting to play the ball. Most international rugby observers have agreed the game is better and more free-flowing since the crackdown. But Bray agreed counter-rucking was more commonplace this year with some teams placing "a huge accent on how to defend the tackle area, far more so than last year".

"It's not just how the referees interpret it, it's how the coaches and players approach it too."

Bray issued an email last month clarifying the laws about counter rucking whereby defensive teams drive players bridging or shielding the ball, back over the ball in a bid to make it slower to clear.

He told The Press the tactic was legal. "Some teams are really taking on the attacking team in this year's competition and they have that right."

But referees had "to ensure we don't let that contact to get unfair and illegal," he said.

Referees had been working over the last three weeks on stressing to players and coaches the need "for players to stay on their feet" while the tackler is releasing the ball carrier.

Crusaders coach Todd Blackadder said recently that the breakdown was at risk of becoming a real issue "after a couple of clean seasons". He was confident at that stage that the referees would sort it out but he felt the responsibility lay as much with players and coaches.

- Fairfax Media

Latest posts