• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ban kicking in open play?

Christ no. I love a good kick-and-chase, and you can't beat a crossfield kick. Ban kicking, and you turn your out-half into another centre. Where's the fun in that?

I understand the frustration with the high, contestable kicks that dominated the Lions tour, but there are so many other ways you can kick in open play. Losing them would make for a much more boring game. Even kick-tennis can be tactically interesting. I understand the intent of the 50-22 rule is to create more space for attacking by forcing teams to defend deeper, and if that works I think it's a great idea.

Kicking penalties to touch to set up a lineout can get a bit predictable - if you could find a way of encouraging more tap-and-go penalties that might be more entertaining. Maybe ban kicking penalties to touch from within the 22?
I actually wouldn't hate the idea of removing the kick to touch for a penalty. Maybe just make a penalty a 10m advantage and you got to choose from the scrum, tap or lineout 10m up-field (or shot at goal).

I actually wouldn't hate the idea of removing the kick to touch for a penalty. Maybe just make a penalty a 10m advantage and you got to choose from the scrum, tap or lineout 10m up-field (or shot at goal).
That results in more penalties slowing the game down though as it's less of a penalty for the offending team.

Just no.
There's too many unnecessary changes as it is, allegedly for the good of the game.

Latest posts