• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Barbarians vs All Blacks XV

Sunday 13 Nov 22 @ 1400 hrs
Tottenham Hotspur Stadium

Should be a great game

Re baa bass,
Look forward to seeing ngatai although he's getting old now
Surprised ihaia west is in the team, surprised Webb isn't starting.

Ngatai and Marchant is a crazy combo. Looking forward to the back row combination too

Those were some darn good players in the barbarians; can really appreciate them when you see them against the players you watch day in day out.

Shame they hid it behind an extra paywall,
Barbarians blazers gotta fill their pockets somehow, though, I guess

Hang on though, you don't watch any rugby free though do you?
Depends what you mean by "free"

6 Nations is on free-to-air terrestrial TV - but we pay a TV licence
End of year tours on on Amazon - but we pay for Amazon Prime
Premiership is on ITV (free-to-air, but licence fee), BT (paid for channel, but often included in phone contracts - which cost ever so slightly more as a consequence) and PRTV (paid for online subscription)

Of course, all are also available for free (well, I guess they harvest your data) for naughty people who are willing to do naughty things

By extra a mean an additional service no one has - like Which Tyler mentioned above: anyone who's into rugby already has prime and BT, I'm not taking out an additional subscription to a random channel just to watch one barbarians game

12.7million uk households have amazon prime before the AI's started, so yes behind a paywall but its a paywall that alot of people have anyway that does provide quite a few other bennefits and if you wereto get it it just for 1 month you can cancel post AI.

Paying an subscription for a year for a 1 off game and not alot else is rediculous, thats the diff between the 2 platforms.

12.7million uk households have amazon prime before the AI's started, so yes behind a paywall but its a paywall that alot of people have anyway that does provide quite a few other bennefits and if you wereto get it it just for 1 month you can cancel post AI.

Paying an subscription for a year for a 1 off game and not alot else is rediculous, thats the diff between the 2 platforms.
btw, the highlighted is exactly what I do - and what better month to have free delivery on... everything, than the month before Christmas, that just so happens to include Black Friday (though I'm still not sure quite why BF is even a thing, let alone being a thing outside of America)?

Either way, I think UW's question has been answered by now, any more and it'll feel like a pile-on rather than a simple answer to a simple question.

btw, the highlighted is exactly what I do - and what better month to have free delivery on... everything, than the month before Christmas, that just so happens to include Black Friday (though I'm still not sure quite why BF is even a thing, let alone being a thing outside of America)?

Either way, I think UW's question has been answered by now, any more and it'll feel like a pile-on rather than a simple answer to a simple question.
I was just replying to his post, i didnt actually see yours until after id posted.

though I'm still not sure quite why BF is even a thing, let alone being a thing outside of America
I usually think the same but I broke my kindle screen a few weeks ago and Amazon usually drop the prices of them considerably during Black Friday so I'm all about Thanksgiving this year

Thanks for all that detail, it's interesting. Not the same story here.

All blacks games tend to be played delayed on free to air, but often finish after kids bedtimes. And they tend to play one delayed super rugby game per week on free to air

In the past (since 1996) only rich people could watch sport (live and more than just the minimum) because you had to have the full sky package which was very expensive. Now there are cheaper options for general tv - Netflix, Amazon prime etc, but they don't come with sport. But you can at least now get sport on its own, although most sport fans have to pay for two services as different things are offered from different services. So it's still a little bit expensive and divisive of society - you have to admit to being a sports fan, being in a subset of society rather than just casually watching what bits of sports you are interested in.

All this leads to not that many people watching sports.
It doesn't entirely mean people don't play rugby, but it does make a difference. People in the pacifika communities play but don't tend to watch rugby on tv. I'd bet There'd be current and recent all blacks that hardly saw any rugby on tv when growing up

The black ferns got a big following because the World Cup was in NZ and it was free to air.

Last edited:

Latest posts