• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Baseball

:lol:

DC, as much as i wanted to understand everything you just said...i'm afraid i fell short.
Far too much jargon in there, sorry.

So right now, i know what RBI stands for, but have no idea what it means.

alright heres the jist of it again

okay you matt are batting

i am on 3rd base, you hit the ball and i score, you get the RBI

baseball is a pitchers game..

which is the reason why getting a hit 2.7-3 times out of 10 is considered good.

[/b]

Baseball is considered a more difficult game to be the 'hitter' than say, cricket, because you are using a round bat. The game that Cymru watched was a pitching duel, which was why there were few runs, yet on the same night there was an 11-7 result - for a neutral, and a newcomer, this probably would have been more exciting. I was making the point that in that specific game, the pitching was more dominant.

Hazey, you'll be happy to know that i will give baseball another chance.
I wasn't actually going to give up on it anyway because i actually enjoyed the game even tho the score line was so low.
Yeah, i'm sure that i'm missing loads of stuff from the sport, that as a newbie i can't even appreciate yet (like, what the hell is an RBI?!) but it's good that a newbie can get involved in the sport and not feel lost.

I fear i may be leaning towards the Boston Red Sox becuase i've got a t-shirt that i bought from T.K.Maxx for £7 on the red sox...it's one of my favourite lounging-about-the-house-t-shirt and for that i feel i'm obliged to give them a chance first off.
[/b]

Firstly, I'm glad you enjoyed the game even though it was low scoring, that demonstrates a fair amount of patience... :p

Secondly, that is the worst reason I have ever heard for deciding which team to support! :lol:

Baseball is considered a more difficult game to be the 'hitter' than say, cricket, because you are using a round bat. The game that Cymru watched was a pitching duel, which was why there were few runs, yet on the same night there was an 11-7 result - for a neutral, and a newcomer, this probably would have been more exciting. I was making the point that in that specific game, the pitching was more dominant.[/b]

True, with Cricket you tend to have more choice as to where to place the ball and also you have the bat and a totally different way of training batsmen to place the ball. With baseball, fieldsman placings are fixed and you've only got a 90 degree area in front of you to hit it to. Add to that a round bat and a pitcher who (hopefully) can work wonders with the pitch and you'll be in trouble.

Then again, it isn't really worthwhile comparing the two as they are very different kettles of fish. Having a bat and a ball do not a similar game make!

There was actually an interesting debate on Five Baseball as to the comparable difficulties of cricket and baseball, and which one was 'harder' - the general consensus seemed to be that, although cricket was a harder game because the bowler can bowl at your body, the ball can move off the pitch, etc., baseball is a harder game in which to make good contact with the ball, because it is a round bat and not a flat one.

The placing of fielders in baseball technically isn't fixed, and you often see a 'shift' being put on for a particular batter who hits 90% of their balls to left field, for example. However, you are right that you need three base men, and most of the time the outfielders play with set distances in mind.

...that is the worst reason I have ever heard for deciding which team to support! :lol:
[/b]

I haven't decided upon those as the team i'm gonna support yet!
It's just i'm leaning towards them right now.

It is a really comfy t-shirt - you have to understand that! :)

The Mets have got Jorge Sosa taking on the Dodger's genuine ace Brad Penny today - how do you rate their chances?

There was actually an interesting debate on Five Baseball as to the comparable difficulties of cricket and baseball, and which one was 'harder' - the general consensus seemed to be that, although cricket was a harder game because the bowler can bowl at your body, the ball can move off the pitch, etc., baseball is a harder game in which to make good contact with the ball, because it is a round bat and not a flat one.

The placing of fielders in baseball technically isn't fixed, and you often see a 'shift' being put on for a particular batter who hits 90% of their balls to left field, for example. However, you are right that you need three base men, and most of the time the outfielders play with set distances in mind. [/b]

Its a funny old game. Well, both of them are funny old games. I like them both so I don't really mind the differences both little and large. :)

yep i saw the bosox vs the indians tonight at jacobs field

dice k vs cc sabathia

a real pitchers duel!

yep i saw the bosox vs the indians tonight at jacobs field

dice k vs cc sabathia

a real pitchers duel! [/b]

Lucky boy! Pity about last night though! :bleh!:

<div class='quotemain'>
...that is the worst reason I have ever heard for deciding which team to support! :lol:
[/b]

I haven't decided upon those as the team i'm gonna support yet!
It's just i'm leaning towards them right now.

It is a really comfy t-shirt - you have to understand that! :)
[/b][/quote]
Support Boston!
redsox.jpg

Other than that, I don't pay much attention to baseball. Lazy sport.

Man... it's just a BoSox forum here...

But I gotta represent the Left Coast and the OC... Go Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim...

Yay for being schizophrenic!

Yankees i would say are my team, A-Rod is hammering them in and Jeter is just mister consistent. Also got the Rocket back. Hopefully we can sneak a wild-card entry but i think we left it a bit late.

Hey Hazey how often are the red sox games shown on ch 5? And is there any shown on skysports? cheers

But I gotta represent the Left Coast and the OC... Go Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim...

Yay for being schizophrenic!
[/b]

Or how about being repetitive...

The Angels Angels of Anaheim.

Never understood why they decided to change their name. That was just a big F U to the Dodgers across town. I dig the Angels. I'm a Braves fan at heart, but definitely love watching Vlad hit.

i also play, ive played since i was 6 and still play today. i would have played in high school too but the coaches son plays second base, which is what i play. its not to hard to read the writing on the wall that you'll never get to start because of that.
[/b]

Funny, same thing happened to me. I made little league all-star games every year up thru high school, beating out the coaches son. But I sat onthe bench come high school. I saw the the writing also and quit a few weeks in after I realized I was never going to play.

Still ****** about that to this day. :rahh:

<div class='quotemain'>
i also play, ive played since i was 6 and still play today. i would have played in high school too but the coaches son plays second base, which is what i play. its not to hard to read the writing on the wall that you'll never get to start because of that.
[/b]

Funny, same thing happened to me. I made little league all-star games every year up thru high school, beating out the coaches son. But I sat onthe bench come high school. I saw the the writing also and quit a few weeks in after I realized I was never going to play.

Still ****** about that to this day. :rahh: [/b][/quote]

Yep ****** me off good, i still play really competitive baseball but i think this is my last year, i mean when i was younger i played all select sides and travel teams etc, but you know how it goes with politics in high school sports.

At least we won the league championship this year with me being our leadoff hitter hitting .514 for the season :)

Latest posts