• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bastareaud returns to France squad

psychic duck

International
935343-15460014-640-360.jpg

http://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/6-nations/2012/bleus-bastareaud-de-retour_sto3565967/story.shtml

Loosehead Props
Thomas Domingo
Vincent Debaty
Yannick Forestier

Hookers
Dimitri Szarzewski
Guilhem Guirado
Benjamin Kayser

Tighthead Props
David Attoub
Luc Ducalcon
Nicolas Mas

Locks
Yoann Maestri
Romain Taofifenua
Pascal Papé (captain)
Jocelino Suta

Flankers
Thierry Dusautoir
Yannick Nyanga
Wenceslas Lauret
Fulgence Ouedraogo

Number 8's
Damien Chouly
Louis Picamoles

Scrum Halves
Maxime Machenaud
Morgan Parra

Fly Halves
Frédéric Michalak
François Trinh-Duc

Centres
Florian Fritz
Gaël Fickou
Mathieu Bastareaud
Maxime Mermoz

Wingers
Vincent Clerc
Benjamin Fall
Wesley Fofana
Yoann Huget

Full Backs
Jean-Marcelin Buttin
Brice Dulin

Notable players not selected
Maxime Médard
Imanol Harinordoquy
Dimitri Yachvili
Aurélien Rougerie

Happy to see him return. Hopefully he can maintain a solid performance for France.

Have no complaint with this squad.....Imanol (Rougerie too or is it just his injury) played his last game for France and cannot see him back as his form post injury has gone and is not the same player of last year never mind in his high days, and Yach is not the same player followiing his summer of injuries and will have to work realluy hard with BO to get back into Inyernational contention, if he does, as Machenaud and Parra are pretty darn good!!

As the song goes.............."Tiime to say Goodbye"!!

I will look at him with attention, but for me he'll never be the same player as the one before the "NZ affair". He improved since playing for Toulon - but there was some margin anyways - but I'm not 100% sure he has the same stamina. He can be a good impact player on the other side, later in the game. But I would have liked to see Estebanez instead...

Sad to see Imanol won't be backing up Mr. Picamoles. A pretty unique player...powerful but with excellent mobility and athleticism. Oh well...
Picamoles is definitely a good replacement !

Yup, good team. Those forwards !!...the scrum should be solid throughout the tournament.
And the backs ain't bad either...

Now: consistency !...
We start on the road, in Italy. And we've got a match in Twickenham this year, and one in Ireland too...that's 3 away matches, we only host SCO n WAL.
Honestly, imo, I'd have bet for a Grand Slam if we plaid the Crunch in Paris...but in Twick, they have such an advantage psychologically...

I think achieving a GS will be complicated for every team, there's no clear favourite based on what we saw during recent international matches.
Italy becomes stronger each year, Ireland is always a challenge, England just convincingly beat the world champions, France performed well also against Australia and Argentina...
I can hardly predict this year's 6N result but I would bet that the winner will not achieve GS.

To be noted on France's side, Szar may be suspended - if it happens, for how many matches I don't know - which already put us under pressure as Italy has a very strong scrum and Guirado if good is IMO below.

^ well I honestly feel only France and England can complete a Grand Slam this year. Wales may be tough, Ireland will be a force also, Italy again has shown quality and professionalism but those won't actually achieve the GS.

But yeah I'd agree with you it is more probable that it doesn't happen at all...though some years a team would come away with it when least expected. I don't think too many could've predicted the GS in '02 by France for e.g., England being in their best form ever and all...
I just looked it up:
of our 9 Grand Slams, we've had 4 of those with a victory in Twickenham, but the last time was in 1997.

And just out of curiosity, the last England Grand Slam including a win IN France was 1992 in Parc des Princes.

^ But In terms of fixture lists this season I think France and England have very difficult ones. Wales and Ireland have better ones, I would say.

Wales plays in France on Feb. 9th, and we've got a bit of a revenge to savor that day...
Ireland hosts France and England, so they're in a better situation as those are the two big favorites. But neither of the latter two is playing as soft as Argentina did in November though...so Ireland will really have to bring it.

Very very curious about that France in London this year.....it's in late Feb though, FAKK !!....

Last edited:

Latest posts