• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Warm Up Match: France vs. Scotland (05/09/2015)

The Scotland squad to play France

Sean Maitland, Tommy Seymour, Mark Bennett, Matt Scott, Tim Visser, Finn Russell, Greig Laidlaw (captain); Alasdair Dickinson, Ross Ford, Willem Nel, Richie Gray, Jonny Gray, Ryan Wilson, John Hardie, David Denton.

Replacements: Fraser Brown, Gordon Reid, Jon Welsh, Tim Swinson, Alasdair Strokosch, Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, Duncan Weir, Sean Lamont.

Now i understand that its only a warm-up game, I also understand that they need to try out players for the world cup. But no matter what, I still think Hogg is a must against France. Whenever i see Hogg play against France he looks very dangerous. But to be fair Sean Maitland has yet to tell people why he is in the squad for the world cup. But still a strong looking Scotland team, lets hope we can get a result against France which we somehow cannot do even after a Strong performance from Scotland.

The Scotland squad to play France

Sean Maitland, Tommy Seymour, Mark Bennett, Matt Scott, Tim Visser, Finn Russell, Greig Laidlaw (captain); Alasdair Dickinson, Ross Ford, Willem Nel, Richie Gray, Jonny Gray, Ryan Wilson, John Hardie, David Denton.

Replacements: Fraser Brown, Gordon Reid, Jon Welsh, Tim Swinson, Alasdair Strokosch, Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, Duncan Weir, Sean Lamont.

Now i understand that its only a warm-up game, I also understand that they need to try out players for the world cup. But no matter what, I still think Hogg is a must against France. Whenever i see Hogg play against France he looks very dangerous. But to be fair Sean Maitland has yet to tell people why he is in the squad for the world cup. But still a strong looking Scotland team, lets hope we can get a result against France which we somehow cannot do even after a Strong performance from Scotland.

Still think VC has boobed by excluding Barclay and Cowan from his squad. The team against France looks solid enough and Maitland has done well at FB before . Hogg is perhaps not 100 % fit hence the decision .

Still think VC has boobed by excluding Barclay and Cowan from his squad. The team against France looks solid enough and Maitland has done well at FB before . Hogg is perhaps not 100 % fit hence the decision .
Thinking about to be fair you are right. He didn't look good against Italy, Thought he could do with a rest. I do like Maitland at fullback, played there for the lions.

Hogg slightly injured his foot before the Italy game & has been in a moon boot for a few days after so it makes sense to give him a rest. It also makes sense to Give Maitland a run out so he can get some match sharpness.

I am however still furious about Hardie's selection over Barclay. That one might sit for a while with me.

Our fowards got a chance to impress against England, I'd like to see our backs getting more involved throughout the game today. I'd especially like our centre pairing to try some combination plays, haven't seen much of those from Fofana and Bastareaud.

Intense game.

Last edited:
Scotland leading 9-6 at half time.

I would put an antagonistic smiley in this post but they seem to have disappeared from my editor... it's the thought that counts anyway.

And that is why you always chase your kicks kids.

Dulin would have gotten to that.

Well, that try was laborious.

Last edited:
Scotland have played some really nice rugby, it's (as always) they can't finish it off/do it consistently.

Russell/Bennet linked up for a fantastic break, almost ending in a try....except Scott decided to throw a 3 man miss pass straight into touch, rather than go through the hands for the easy try.

Poor game from France, too many mistakes. Scotland clearly played some better rugby in the 2nd half.

It's always that last pass which lets us down. Too panicked & rushed & not enough composure. It's a real shame as there's a bloody good rugby team there that's just lacking that mental edge.
Anyone that thinks this Scotland team are going to be a walkover at the World Cup however I feel are going to be sorely mistaken.

I agree, Scotland have some really good players and will be no easy walkover in the world cup......apart from all the unforced errors and blinkered head down rugby we play when there is a mind blowinglly obvious overlap screaming out for a simple pass to score. Oh wait,no, "That's" the problem......Us.

they could have taken the easy penalty kick for the draw but went for the win which i think is highly commendable, it did not work but only confidence was at stake last night, and for France, well soon PSA will be no longer and Noves just might pick the best players available, so lets get this WORLD CUP ON THE ROAD, give it to the ALL Blacks or maybe England it certainly will not be France!!!! we can then get rid of PSA and start rebuilding with players who deserve their place in the National team.
Everybody bar PSA knows Michalak plays one good game out of three, only PSA has yet to realise this, and as far as the backs coach Lazyesquet goes what has been his 2 pennethof input, about 5 centimes and thats that, the French backs were again awful last night. This is the woorst i have ever seen France play.
going back to bed feeel a headache coming on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Encouraging performance and the pack held up well . No favours from Wayne Barns as per usual which did not help. Bennett beginning to show his pre injury form . Having watched Barclay perform brilliantly for the Scarlets against Glasgow earlier in the evening , regret VC's decision to omit him and Cowan .

Tough luck, Scotland!
I didn't see the game but from what I've read you played with a lot of passion but as usual, the execution seems lacking.
However, Vern Cotter is having a positive effect which bodes well.
Few people expect you to win the World Cup, but you're certainly going to be tough to beat.

Did anyone else think that Dusautoir look a bit past it? I know he's just came back from injury but he was pretty rusty. I feel that Papè can rally the troops a bit better than Dusautoir and I didn't agree with him choosing to gamble with the scrum rather than just taking the 3 points. It was too risky and I hope he doesn't make decisions like that during the World Cup.

no i think he was match rusty but he will have to now step up to the mark the practice is now over and the real party begins with Italie and not that confident about that either.

Latest posts