• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Warm Up Match: Wales vs Italy (05/09/15)

Biggar world class!

Never thought I would see those words!!

My old and sadly missed mate Gwyn Davies is turning in his grave at the thought!!

He maybe the best Wales have to offer but not a great deal of choice..........

People still rate Jenkins? Have we gone back in time 4+ years?

He's the only prop I've heard of where the IRB have had to send a memo to referees cause of how **** he was being in the scrums.

Thank god someone has said it !! He actually got yellow carded 4 games in a row once for being **** in the scrum

Jenkins is a tough one arm. He certainly went through a bad spell, but he seems to have come through the other side, although the WC will be the ultimate test. He's still up there with the best props in the loose, even if he's not quite as prominent as he once was. I'd have a fit and firing Corbisiero over Jenkins, but not sure about Marler! 50/50 probably.

Biggar is underrated Imo. He's a very complete 10 with a great kicking and aerial game, solid defence (although he does get bumped every now and then), and he's got a solid distribution and attacking game (something some underrate). Ford could well develop into a world class 10, I'm a big fan of his. But he's got a little way to go yet. For the time being I'd have Biggar over ford, but that could change if/when Ford develops his weaker points and gains consistency.

People still rate Jenkins? Have we gone back in time 4+ years?

He's the only prop I've heard of where the IRB have had to send a memo to referees cause of how **** he was being in the scrums.

Very funny.

- - - Updated - - -

Biggar world class!

Never thought I would see those words!!

My old and sadly missed mate Gwyn Davies is turning in his grave at the thought!!

He maybe the best Wales have to offer but not a great deal of choice..........

Who do you think rates better than Biggar, in the NH only Sexton, but he did'nt look to clever in the warm ups, Biggar controls a game and is a better place kicker than anyone England or France have.

Camille Lopez, Trinh Duc, Finn Russell (Dubious), George Ford, Owen Farrell..

I don't know where this hot air has come from with Biggar. He was in a strong ospreys team who lost home and away to Northampton this season. A team who boast Myler and Dickson in their half back pairing....

Yes, he's a good player. But nothing special.

Camille Lopez, Trinh Duc, Finn Russell (Dubious), George Ford, Owen Farrell..

Nope, Nope, Nowhere near, Possibly soon, Similar player but Biggar's better imo.

I don't know where this hot air has come from with Biggar. He was in a strong ospreys team who lost home and away to Northampton this season. A team who boast Myler and Dickson in their half back pairing....

Yes, he's a good player. But nothing special.

Nonsense comment. Not much he could do when the pack was pummelled. Ospreys haven't recovered from losing Adam Jones.

Nope, Nope, Nowhere near, Possibly soon, Similar player but Biggar's better imo.

Nonsense comment. Not much he could do when the pack was pummelled. Ospreys haven't recovered from losing Adam Jones.

Saints' pack was at it's weakest this season. Our front row hasn't been that inexperienced for a long time. You also had Tipuric playing who was by far your best player. Your scrum wasn't really dominated so it's kind of unsubstantiated. Webb had a bad game, with his kicking all over the place but Biggar didn't do much to say he's class of any kind.

Biggar is a very solid player. I'd certainly not put him at world class, but certainly a solid international. I believe Ford has a higher ceiling, but for now, it would depend on what I wanted from my team as to which of them I'd pick.

Ford is limited by his stature. There's not much he can do in order to not struggle with the more physical aspects of the game, and it's not a minor issue. Players will run over him, he'll be catapulted backwards in the carry, he'll get pushed out of the breakdown and he'll get bullied in the air. Guys like Shane Williams and Leigh Halfpenny managed to deal with this facet of the game by becoming exceptionally strong, pound-for-pound. If Ford can do this, there's hope yet, but otherwise I don't see him ever being world class. It's possible that a move to fullback would be good for him though. It would be a natural switch and his lack of physicality won't be so targeted. His running and kicking game would be so useful there. His strengths at bringing others onto the ball would be really good when linking with his wingers. I would love to see Slade take over at 10 and Ford have a crack at 15 in the long term.

On the other hand, whilst not entirely a liability in attack, Biggar isn't a master of unlocking defences, and it's fairly clear that's what stops him from being seen as world class. Mind you, the complete fly-half is so rare to come by that's it's arguable that you can have these kinds of limitations and still be considered world class.

Last edited:
I've not seen Ford bounced in a while. Pushed back, but he rarely misses tackles (unlike some larger fly halves who fly out of the line (not even useful for pressure)). Ford has shown his weakness in the air, but you'd like to see him at 15??? No thanks, his skillset for me means I want him on the ball as often as possible, but not as exposed to high balls.

Cruden is recognised as one of the best fly halves out there, same size as Ford. Ford has everything he needs to be world class, whether or not he will be, who knows.

Slade seems like a very good option, not as attacking as Ford, but defensively more solid and a better range with his boot, perhaps not as accurate though.

Haven't seen much of Slade at 10 yet but been massively impressed with Ford over the last couple of years. We've got some good fly halves in the NH but genuinely think Ford has the potential to be the best of them if he fine-tunes his game. He just seems to unlock the backline like no other 10s we have at the moment. Sexton has looked a little predictable lately - though I get the feeling he is just warming up at the moment, and Biggar I think probably comes 3rd - his strengths being generally very good defense, accurate kicking and very, very good aerial attacking play. If all three carry on as they are then it'll be a hell of a battle for the Lions 2017 test jerseys!

Ford is limited by his stature. There's not much he can do in order to not struggle with the more physical aspects of the game, and it's not a minor issue. Players will run over him, he'll be catapulted backwards in the carry, he'll get pushed out of the breakdown and he'll get bullied in the air. Guys like Shane Williams and Leigh Halfpenny managed to deal with this facet of the game by becoming exceptionally strong, pound-for-pound. If Ford can do this, there's hope yet, but otherwise I don't see him ever being world class. It's possible that a move to fullback would be good for him though. It would be a natural switch and his lack of physicality won't be so targeted. His running and kicking game would be so useful there. His strengths at bringing others onto the ball would be really good when linking with his wingers. I would love to see Slade take over at 10 and Ford have a crack at 15 in the long term.

On the other hand, whilst not entirely a liability in attack, Biggar isn't a master of unlocking defences, and it's fairly clear that's what stops him from being seen as world class. Mind you, the complete fly-half is so rare to come by that's it's arguable that you can have these kinds of limitations and still be considered world class.
Really? Ford wouldn't naturally excel at two key parts of FB play - aerial defence and kick return. Really can't see him ever going to FB. 10 is the only place for him

His lack of strength worries me a little but if he makes the rught choices and kicks his goals i can live with it.

Haven't seen much of Slade at 10 yet but been massively impressed with Ford over the last couple of years. We've got some good fly halves in the NH but genuinely think Ford has the potential to be the best of them if he fine-tunes his game. He just seems to unlock the backline like no other 10s we have at the moment. Sexton has looked a little predictable lately - though I get the feeling he is just warming up at the moment, and Biggar I think probably comes 3rd - his strengths being generally very good defense, accurate kicking and very, very good aerial attacking play. If all three carry on as they are then it'll be a hell of a battle for the Lions 2017 test jerseys!
What can sexton do with that backline though?! Payne and henshaw are missing something and the wings are so so.

Latest posts