• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2018/19 Match Day Squads

dullonien

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Interesting to see how the strongest possible match day squads are shaping up for every side in the competition for next season, so post your below. Also do you think it's an improvement on this season?

I'll kick it off with the Dragons purely because there's massive changes due over the summer:

01 Ryan Bevington
02 Elliot Dee
03 Aaron Jarvis
04 Cory Hill
05 Brandon Nansen
06 Ross Moriarty
07 Olie Griffiths
08 Harri Keddie

09 Rhodri Williams
10 Jacob Botica
11 Jordan Williams
12 Jack Dixon
13 Tyler Morgan
14 Ashton Hewitt
15 Halam Amos

16 Richard Hibbard
17 Brock Harris
18 Leon Brown
19 Rynard Landman
20 Lewis Evans
21 Charlie Davies
22 Gavin Henson
23 Dafydd Howells

Dragons should certainly be much improved, and they're not far off having a very decent starting IV. Their most important signing so far imo is Aaron Jarvis, because he's an international quality tighthead who can scrummage, their biggest problem area this season.

That could be a very tasty backrow.......

They still have a massive question mark at 10 though! I've selected Botica there based on his premiership form, but it's a massive step-up to regional rugby. Currently their other options are an over the hill Henson, or a very green Arwel Robson. In this regard, Owen Williams would be a massive signing if they could land him.

I'm backing Jordan Williams to have an impact. I still maintain he's the most devastating open field player I've seen, inc. Shane Williams. I'm not ruling out the possibility of him slotting in at 10. He's certainly got the ability.

Dafydd Howells should also provide excellent back 3 cover, massive untapped potential there, and certainly a big step-up from Kirchener.

A lot will depend on Jackman though. Can he get them playing consistently high quality rugby?

Fine, I'll continue with the Ospreys:

01 Nicky Smith
02 Sam Parry/Scott Baldwin/Scott Otten
03 Tom Botha
04 Bradley Davies
05 AWJ
06 Olly Cracknell
07 Justin Tipuric
08 Dan Baker

09 Aled Davies
10 Sam Davies
11 Keelan Giles
12 Scott Williams
13 Owen Watkin
14 George North
15 Dan Evans

16 One of the three above.
17 Rhodri Jones
18 Ma'afu Fia
19 Adam Beard
20 James King
21 Tom Habberfield
22 James Hook
23 Cory Allen

Ospreys are losing the likes of Biggar, Webb, Arhip, Beck, Fonotia & Hassler, with Scott Williams, North, Aled Davies and Botha coming in. They'll be hoping that some of their perma-injured players this season will be back fit, especially Baker, Lydiate and Giles, which will help offset some of those leaving players. On the whole, they're currently shaping up to be slightly weaker next season, especially their backup options at 10 and centre. Hook looks the shadow of his former self, yet is the only backup option to Sam Davies at 10, who himself has dipped considerably from last season; whilst they've lost both Beck and Fonotia in the centres, but only signed Scott Williams.

Still, the hope would be for a far stronger showing next season, after underperforming so spectacularly this season. The key for them may be whether Sam Davies can regain his mojo!

Scarlets:

1. Rob Evans
2. Ken Owens
3. Samson Lee
4. Jake Ball
5. Blade Thomson
6. Aaron Shingler
7. James Davies
8. Uzair Cassiem

9. Gareth Davies
10. Rhys Patchell
11. Steff Evans
12. Hadleigh Parkes
13. Jonathan Davies
14. Johnny McNichol
15. Leigh Halfpenny

16. Wyn Jones
17. Ryan Elias
18. Werner Kruger
19. Steve Cummings
20. Will Boyd
21. Jonathan Evans
22. Dan Jones
23. Tom Prydie

Will be interesting to see how Thomson and Cassiem do, replacing a couple of Scarlet greats in Byrne and Barclay.

Scarlets:

1. Rob Evans
2. Ken Owens
3. Samson Lee
4. Jake Ball
5. Blade Thomson
6. Aaron Shingler
7. James Davies
8. Uzair Cassiem

9. Gareth Davies
10. Rhys Patchell
11. Steff Evans
12. Hadleigh Parkes
13. Jonathan Davies
14. Johnny McNichol
15. Leigh Halfpenny

16. Wyn Jones
17. Ryan Elias
18. Werner Kruger
19. Steve Cummings
20. Will Boyd
21. Jonathan Evans
22. Dan Jones
23. Tom Prydie

Will be interesting to see how Thomson and Cassiem do, replacing a couple of Scarlet greats in Byrne and Barclay.

Only position I'd question there is Halfpenny at fullback. McNicholl offers far more imo, and then it's between Halfpenny, Prydie and Conbeer for the 14 shirt.

Dragons' problem has always been squad depth not necessarily the starting 23. They have looked to address this though by bringing a number of players who aren't headline worthy but will do a job if called upon. It's the blues who I am concerned at to be honest, which is crazy to think considering their season run in last few months. They have a new head coach and have yet to announce any signings, although Arhip is going to be official in the next fey days apparently.

Only position I'd question there is Halfpenny at fullback. McNicholl offers far more imo, and then it's between Halfpenny, Prydie and Conbeer for the 14 shirt.

Fair, I'd probably agree that the more you can get McNicholl involved the better. I'd also add Asquith to the wing possibilities, I've been impressed with him pretty much every time he's had an opportunity (prob picked Prydie ahead of him in my original 23 due to daffodil tainted specs),

Dragons' problem has always been squad depth not necessarily the starting 23. They have looked to address this though by bringing a number of players who aren't headline worthy but will do a job if called upon. It's the blues who I am concerned at to be honest, which is crazy to think considering their season run in last few months. They have a new head coach and have yet to announce any signings, although Arhip is going to be official in the next fey days apparently.

Dragons-wise: They will deffo go better than last season. I'd imagine that Jackman will expect his signings in the Pack ( Bevington, Dee/Hibbs, Jarvis, Nansen, Hill, Moriarty) to provide a much more robust platform for the team than last year. IF they can stay fit, they should be far more competitive. I'm thinking that challenging for a Pro 14 play off spot and a decent run in the Challenge Cup would be within their reach and would be good realistic progress.

Blues: You would have to think that they have some transfers that are being negotiated but the silence is deafening atm. The Arhip signing, should it go through, is a great start but they need more in the pack to sustain a challenge in two comps next year. They need an 8 and a lock at least but the backs could do with some reinforcement also. Will be interesting to see how they view signings in a post-Thomas debt landscape.

Let's try the Blues, but things could (& should) change if a few more signings are made.

1. Rhys Gill
2. Khristian Dacey
3. Dmitri Arhip
4. Seb Davies
5. George Earle
6. Sam Warburton
7. Ellis Jenkins
8. Nick Williams

9. Tomos Williams
10. Jarrod Evans
11. Tom James
12. Willis Halaholo
13. Rey Lee-Lo
14. Owen Lane
15. Gareth Anscombe

16. Matthew Rees
17. Gethin Jenkins
18. Dillon Lewis
19. Josh Turnbull
20. Josh Navidi
21. Lloyd Williams
22. Blaine Scully
23. Matthew Morgan

Haven't seen a lot of Rory Thornton but his height 'could' give him the edge over Turnbull (although Josh covers back row too), so will be interested to see how he goes.

If the Blues do end up signing Manoa, I would probably put him straight in, swapping out Earle.

Gutted that I couldn't find a spot for Olly Robinson as I thought he had a real solid season last year, particularly his heroics in the Challenge Cup final... but also straight from the off, I remember him away at Connacht he made a difference. The Blues just have too many sevens, they should have looked to trade a seven (god knows how you would choose though... sadly it would probably have to be Robinson ) for some further cover in the front five.

I'd also like to see the occasional positional changes in the backs at various points throughout the season. I'm looking forward to seeing what Lane can do in the centre and although I'm a massive fan of the Halaholo - Lee-Lo partnership (who isn't?) they can not play all the time. I'm also a big Matthew Morgan fan, and wouldn't mind seeing what he can do on the wing, so on the occasion Lane gets an opportunity inside I hope they give Nipper the chance there.

Good looking squad that. The addition of Arhip makes a big difference to a position they really struggled with last season. If they can add Manoa to bolster another couple of problem positions at lock and no.8 that would certainly improve things further. Thornton should add good depth at lock as well.

I agree regarding Lane. I wasn't convinced with the Haloholo - Lee-Lo partnership for a long time, thought they were too similar to, but towards the end of last season they worked a little like a tag team, applying relentless pressure on the opposition. However lane could add a point of difference in the centre with a little more raw pace and power.

Nipper on the wing is another thing which should happen. He's a little too exposed at fullback for my liking, especially under the high ball and in defense. The arguments have always been that it gives him extra space and time to run from deep, but that never stopped Shane Williams out on the wing. There's also Dan Fish to return at fullback who was starting to look very good before his long injury lay off.

Good looking squad that. The addition of Arhip makes a big difference to a position they really struggled with last season. If they can add Manoa to bolster another couple of problem positions at lock and no.8 that would certainly improve things further. Thornton should add good depth at lock as well.

I agree regarding Lane. I wasn't convinced with the Haloholo - Lee-Lo partnership for a long time, thought they were too similar to, but towards the end of last season they worked a little like a tag team, applying relentless pressure on the opposition. However lane could add a point of difference in the centre with a little more raw pace and power.

Nipper on the wing is another thing which should happen. He's a little too exposed at fullback for my liking, especially under the high ball and in defense. The arguments have always been that it gives him extra space and time to run from deep, but that never stopped Shane Williams out on the wing. There's also Dan Fish to return at fullback who was starting to look very good before his long injury lay off.

Hopefully they can click a bit sooner than last season, if so there is no reason why they couldn't get a play off spot at the very least.

So with the news that the Manoa signing has been completed, Blues:

1. Rhys Gill
2. Khristian Dacey
3. Dmitri Arhip
4. Seb Davies
5. Manu Samoa
6. Sam Warburton
7. Ellis Jenkins
8. Nick Williams

9. Tomos Williams
10. Jarrod Evans
11. Tom James
12. Willis Halaholo
13. Rey Lee-Lo
14. Owen Lane
15. Gareth Anscombe

16. Matthew Rees
17. Gethin Jenkins
18. Dillon Lewis
19. George Earle
20. Josh Navidi
21. Lloyd Williams
22. Blaine Scully
23. Matthew Morgan

Leinster

1. Cian Healy
2. Sean Cronin
3. Tadhg Furlong
4. Devin Toner
5. James Ryan
6. Scott Fardy
7. Dan Leafy
8. Sean O'Brien

9. Luke McGrath
10. Johnny Sexton
11. James Lowe
12. Robbie Henshaw
13. Garry Ringrose
14. Jordan Larmour
15. Rob Kearney

16. James Tracy
17. Jack McGrath
18. Andrew Porter
19. Josh Van der Flier
20. Jack Conan
21. Nick McCarthy
22. Ross Byrne
23. Joe Tomane

Obviously thus team would never actually play in the Pro14 except in a knockout game or against Munster. This could all obviously change based on form, fitness etc.

It's tempting fate picking SOB in anything at this stage, so in the likely event he's not fit, start Conan and Ruddock on the bench. (Although because there's no 8 cover in that case there'd be an argument for Deegan on the bench).

I know Scott Fardy is meant to be a lock and everything but Toner was showing form well beyond any backrow bar Leavy at the end of last season and Ryan and Fardy are obviously undroppable.

By the end of the season I could see some of the younger players grabbing a bench spot, in particular Bryan Byrne, Caelan Doris (I wouldn't rule him having a Larmour/Ryan type first season in pro rugby ending up in the first team), Max Deegan (it's not his first season but same as Doris), Ciaran Frawley (versatility could give him the edge over Byrne), and any number of wingers (and Ferg although he's hardly young never goes away).

To be honest I think we're a bit light from 21-23 but hopefully a few things could fix that like Adam Byrne getting back to form, or McCarthy being able to cope with high-level games where he struggled last season but ideally you'd avoid ending up in the situation Ireland were in in the 6N where the sub backs only get on after the game's won.

Anyway it's a strong team however you look at it even if it's not quite at last years level.

Edinburgh pretty much selecting their strongest XV in the opener.

Blair Kinghorn, Dougie Fife, Mark Bennett, Matt Scott, Duhan van der Merwe, Simon Hickey, Henry Pyrgos, Pierre Schoeman, Stuart McInally, Simon Berghan, Ben Toolis, Grant Gilchrist, Luke Hamilton, Hamish Watson, Bill Matta

If Hickey turns out to be alright then that is a seriously handy squad this year. Substitute in Ritchie in the loose forwards and I'd say that they are top 4 in the competition for tight five, loose forwards and centres - with a decent back line to boot.

So glad one of the Glasgow scrum halves made the move east. A complete no brainer and it should make a big difference (although I'd rate Pyrgos third out of the three).

Last edited:
MUNSTER: M Haley; D Sweetnam, D Goggin, R Scannell, S Daly; JJ Hanrahan, N Cronin; D Kilcoyne, M Sherry, J Ryan; J Kleyn, B Holland (C); D O'Callaghan, T O'Donnell, Arno Botha. Replacements: R Marshall, B Scott, S Archer, D O'Shea, G Coombes, J Hart, J Carbery, S Arnold.

CHEETAHS: M Jael; R Maxwane, B Rensburg, N Lee, W Small-Smith; T Schoeman, S Venter; O Nche, J du Toit, L de Bruin, J Basson, JP du Preez, J Pokomela, O Mohoje, J Wiese. Replacements: J Dweba, C Marais, A Coetzee, W Steenkamp, A Davis, T Meyer, E Stapelberg, R Eksteen.

Ulster team to take on Scarlets
(15-9): W Addison; C Gilroy, D Cave, S McCloskey, H Speight; B Burns, J Cooney;

(1-8): A Warwick, J Andrew, T O'Toole, A O'Connor (captain), I Henderson, M Coetzee, S Reidy, N Timoney;

Replacements (16-23): A McBurney, E O'Sullivan, R Kane, K Treadwell, C Henry, D Shanahan, A Curtis, A Kernohan.

Scarlets: Clayton Blommetjies; Tom Prydie, Jonathan Davies, Kieron Fonotia, Steff Evans; Rhys Patchell, Sam Hidalgo-Clyne; Rob Evans, Ken Owens (captain), Werner Kruger, David Bulbring, Steve Cummins, Blade Thomson, James Davies, Josh Macleod.

Replacements: Ryan Elias, Phil Price, Simon Gardiner, Ed Kennedy, Dan Davis, Gareth Davies, Dan Jones, Ioan Nicholas.

CONNACHT: T O'Halloran, C Kelleher, K Godwin, T Farrell, M Healy; J Carty, C Blade; D Buckley, D Heffernan, F Bealham, U Dillane, J Cannon, P Boyle, J Butler, E McKeon. Replacements: S Delahunt, P McCabe, C Carey, Q Roux, C Gallagher, J Mitchell, C Ronaldson, N Adeolokun.

GLASGOW: S Hogg; T Seymour, N Grigg, P Horne, DTH van der Merwe; A Hastings, G Horne; O Kebbie, G Turner, Z Fagerson, S Cummings, J Gray, R Harley, C Gibbons, R Wilson. Replacaments - F Brown, A Allan, D Rae, A Ashe, C Fusaro, N Frisby, A Dunbar, N Matawalu

Latest posts