• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2018/19 Match Day Squads

I read an article saying Tuima is going to be DR this season (I think it was Plymouth?). He might get some involvement in the cup but I don't see him featuring in the Premiership.

I'm surprised Baxter hasn't gone in for another 8. I know Armand, Ewers (and occasionally Kvesic) can cover 8, but Waldrom has left a big hole to fill, both literally and metaphorically.

No doubt this comment will come back and bite me on the arse when he's running over whole opposition packs for England, but based on the video of him I found on YouTube, he's a way off senior rugby at the moment IMO. The video reminds me a bit of Tongan Thor (on a lesser scale) - he stands out because he's markedly bigger and stronger than almost everyone else on the pitch, but doesn't look very athletic and is carrying a surprising amount of body fat. I think a year in National One would do him some good and would be about the right level for him, although I'm not sure Albion is the best place for him as he's not likely to see much game time ahead of last season's captain Herbie Stupple. If you're reading this Mr Baxter, Redruth could really use a number eight at level 4 next season having lost a couple of seasoned back rowers at the end of last season!

Edit: Tigs Man types faster than me! Also, fingers crossed for Chiefs fans that Baxter still has a few tricks up his sleeve.

Edit 2: Just read that Carl Rimmer has been forced to retire having suffered a stroke in training back in January, so one to remove from your list @Which Tyler.

Last edited:
Tuima only just been promoted from U18 and already people are talking about him being in the senior team.
Agree its too early for him but iseikwe is 19 and already capped for england and won the premiership with sarries, so age isnt always a massive factor.

Though probably is to early for him, i only mentioned him as we havnt signed a replacement for waldrom, and he is a promising prospect.

Agree its too early for him but iseikwe is 19 and already capped for england and won the premiership with sarries, so age isnt always a massive factor.

I don't think that anyone is saying that age if a factor, the fact that he's just graduating from the U18s is just representative of the level of rugby that he's been playing. What's relevant is his ability, which I've already given my opinion on. I hope I'm wrong (or that he continues to improve) and you have a good point about the lack of a replacement for Waldrom. That said, having had a closer look, Tom Lawday came off the bench for Waldrom and Horstman (presumably) at eight twice in the LV Cup last season as well as making 12 starts there for Pirates which saw him named to the Championship Dream Team, so the more I think about it, the more I think it's more likely that he'll be getting more game time there next season with Tuima stepping up to the Premiership Shield.

Updated:
file.php

file.php

file.php

1. Harrison
2. Webber
3. WG John
4. Ostrikov
5. Evans
6. Ross
7. Curry
8. Strauss
9. Faf
10. McGinty
11. McGuigan
12. Rohan
13. James
14. Solomona
15. O'Connor

16. Neild
17. Flynn
18. Taurus
19. Beaumont
20. Curry
21. Cliff
22. James
23. Yarde

Unless we make some surprise signings there'll be very little change in the Sale squad.
Philips will rotate in to rest a lock or Strauss, and Jones will rotate in to rest tightheads, but I can't see either really pressing for first XV.
Hopefully this is the year that Neild shits or gets off the pot WRT becoming a hooker. He's still adamant, and Jones was poor last season, so he should get a shot, but it's last chance saloon really.
We need another 9 now that Faf is back in international contention - Cliff is a decent player but not really a starter for a side with top 6 aspirations, and beyond him we've only got young academy lads who haven't played any senior rugby yet. If Cliff gets crocked while the 4 Nations is on then we're in the plop.
Also it looks like JOC won't be fit for the start of the season so I expect McGuigan will start at 15.

Edit: Rohan booooyyyyyyyyy
Did Ashton sign?

Yes - Ashton has signed for Sale

The Falcons team is going to be a bit of a puzzle initially. I genuinely couldnt name the actual starting 15.

We lost 4 first choice starting players to retirement plus others like Mermoz, Olmstead, JP Socino etc etc and have replaced with real potential rather than established players.
I think our 4th spot flattered us to be brutally honest and I think with this squad we'll probably be looking at around 6th (though if the potential is realised we might achieve a bit more) . Plus Dean never plays the same team week in week out.

So ill give a rough idea...

1 Logi Mulipola / Sam Lockwood
2 Kyle Cooper
3 Jon Welsh
4 Calum Green / Andrew Davidson
5 Sean Robinson / Will Witty
6 Will Welch / Connor Collett
7 Mark Wilson / Gary Graham
8 Nemani Negusa / Ryan Burrows

9 Sone Takalua
10 Toby Flood
11 Sinotti / Radwan
12 Johnny Williams / Josh Matavesi
13 Chris Harris / Pedro Bettencourt
14 Goneva / Kibirige
15 Hammersley / Tait

Yes we still have Michael, and he was first choice for some time, but when all are fit I would generally say Sone would be first choice. But then, as i I said above...Dean loves to give different players a run of games, so no player is absolutely certain of spots. I guess its his way of keeping every one keen and fit.

Yes we still have Michael, and he was first choice for some time, but when all are fit I would generally say Sone would be first choice. But then, as i I said above...Dean loves to give different players a run of games, so no player is absolutely certain of spots. I guess its his way of keeping every one keen and fit.

Fair play, I remember watching Sale vs Newcastle one Friday night last season and bloody Deano saying after the game that the best to scrum halves in the league had been on the park that day, so it seemed strange to me that he would bench him at the sharp end of the season.

I'm not sure that what you say about rotation is quite right, maybe in the outsides, but in the pack, there's a few war horses being flogged week in week out, not least Green, who was outstandingly consistent.

Yes Green played a lot of rugby probably too much. He is probably Deans first name on the team sheet.

Vickers and Welsh had no choice but to play almost every game as every other prop was injured. We even had the scenario Trevor Davison a loose head in his first season with us had to play TH in some games to give Welsh a rest.

As to the rest...Cooper, Lawson, Socino, Robinson, Witty, Olmstead, Welch, Wilson, Latu, Gary Graham, and the odd game Hogg were rotated suitably

@Tigs Man Is Andre Dunns till with you guys?
I'm just going through my sepreadsheet; and I'm a man-up for your academy intake versus your website (which also doesn't list Ross McMillan yet) - with Dunn not seeming to appear on any of the team lists - but I'd surprised if he'd been released

@Tigs Man Is Andre Dunns till with you guys?
I'm just going through my sepreadsheet; and I'm a man-up for your academy intake versus your website (which also doesn't list Ross McMillan yet) - with Dunn not seeming to appear on any of the team lists - but I'd surprised if he'd been released

Apparently we are having to sort out some visa issues.

Cheers, I'll leave him up there for now.

FTR, my double checking ran into difficulty with Exeter who seem to include about half there academy in with the seniors, with the rest of the academy either not mentioned at all, or in with the junior academy players... Just weird.
Sale offy hasn't caught up with their (announced IIRC) current academy squad, whilst Sarries have neither announced their academy, nor updated their offy.

The Falcons team is going to be a bit of a puzzle initially. I genuinely couldnt name the actual starting 15.

We lost 4 first choice starting players to retirement plus others like Mermoz, Olmstead, JP Socino etc etc and have replaced with real potential rather than established players.
I think our 4th spot flattered us to be brutally honest and I think with this squad we'll probably be looking at around 6th (though if the potential is realised we might achieve a bit more) . Plus Dean never plays the same team week in week out.

So ill give a rough idea...

1 Logi Mulipola / Sam Lockwood
2 Kyle Cooper
3 Jon Welsh
4 Calum Green / Andrew Davidson
5 Sean Robinson / Will Witty
6 Will Welch / Connor Collett
7 Mark Wilson / Gary Graham
8 Nemani Negusa / Ryan Burrows

9 Sone Takalua
10 Toby Flood
11 Sinotti / Radwan
12 Johnny Williams / Josh Matavesi
13 Chris Harris / Pedro Bettencourt
14 Goneva / Kibirige
15 Hammersley / Tait

Seems like ther's a few you missed out there? I'd say it's more like:

1. Mulipola / Lockwood
2. Cooper / McGuigan / S. Socino
3. Welsh / S. Wilson
4. Green / Davidson
5. Witty / Robinson
6. Wilson / Collett
7. Welch / Graham
8. Nagusa / Chick
9. Takulua / Young
10. Flood / Hodgson
11. Sinoti / Radwan
12. Matavesi / Williams
13. Harris / Bettencourt
14. Goneva / Kibirige
15. Hammersley / Tait

McGuigan should be a big signing for you. I think he's got a point to prove and is a good all round hooker. He, Cooper and Socino are a very solid group competing for the 2 shirt.

Chick is an underrated player. A good you 6/8 to have on your books for sure. Quite excited about Collett too from what I've read about him: https://www.newcastlefalcons.co.uk/news/story/north-harbour-flanker-collett-joins-falcons

Latu, Vickers, Lawson and Olmstead will all be missed though.

Last edited:
BPM McGuigan has a lot to prove. There were a few eyebrows raised when he left as it was very similar to Keiron Brookes.
Cooper Is heads and tails the best hooker in the squad, but Socino and Mcguigan will provide good back up

Calum Chick is a quality backrower. but he suffered from injuries last season and hasn't really built on the potential we know he has. It was also felt that he was too lean..and needed a few pounds of muscle on him. Well judging on the first two preseason games, he's been in the gym! He looks heavier and more muscular. Not massively, just enough to make the difference. He's been physical and aggressive, which bodes very well.

Latu was an old Warrior and Hogg was just a classy top class number 8. Both will be missed but if Chick shows up, Negussa shows up and Collett comes through well, then the miss wont be as big.

Lawson was a good experienced hooker, but I don't think we'll struggle without him as explained above. Olmstead is a good lock, but we have a very good set of locks at the club. So again im not sure he'll be missed that much.

Right - this is what I've got now; witht he season about to kick-off.
We're unlikey to get any announcements until Tuesday, whilst the first match is Friday; and I'm going to be busy all week, so I thought I'd run the updates now. There probably are still 1-2 signings to come, but as of now, they'll pretty much be mid-season signings (eg Newcastle will want to replace Wilson; Guy Mercer is still looking for a home; injuries are inevitable)

file.php

Latest posts