• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] 2nd Warm Up Match: Wales vs Ireland (29/08/2015)

????
Best is notorious.
His arse goes like the bloody clappers as soon as the pressure's on and there's the sniff of a lineout
@cyRil will back me on this

That's an internet truth, not an actual truth. Srsly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for a change I will disagree with good no. 10...

Actually, I kind of agree that both sides are rather predictable in their patterns, but I think this might actually be an advantage at the World Cup. Both Ireland and Wales´attacking games seem much more conventional/classical than England´s/Bath´s, being based on a scrum half with a long pass from the base and big runners off the 10. I thought Wales´spacing in attack was particularly good. They don´t run many complicated moves like England, but they have a very low error count on the moves they do run, and I think this may be more important in the end, especially given the fact that the England centres will never have played together before.

What we've learnt:
Ireland were becoming complacent, so losing to a good Welsh side at home will be the bit of fire that is needed.
Toner has to start. He's crucial in the line out and in the maul.
Henderson needs to come off the bench. Incredible player but we need someone like him making a huge impact at 60 mins to change the game.
Fitzgerald is not going to the World Cup. The 5 backs will be Zebo, Bowe, Trimble and the two Kearneys. Earls, Henshaw, Madigan and Payne as the four centres.
Johnny Sexton, as expected, had a poor game. He usually does first game back. He needs a game or two to get into it. Hoping he will be better next week.
We need to stop kicking as much, especially when we're rusty like we were yesterday. Gives the opposition too much ball.
We need to do more intricate moves and switch direction of play. We did it against Scotland two weeks ago but barely saw it yesterday.
Best has to start. He's crucial at the line out and breakdown.
POM should be worried. He's not doing much. He's lucky Henderson is probably going to be only used in the second row.
Dave Kearney needs to go to the World Cup.

Cav sucks! (yeah, take that!)

On a side note, I don't think anyone has ever doubted Tipuric's ability. It's just that Warburton is a better 7 when it comes to helping the team.
I was very impressed with Tip's apparently increased ability at the breakdown and tackle area today though.

What do you mean better at helping the team, does he make their breakfast or buy more beers in the bar ?
Tipuric is an out and out old school 7 and is better at it than Warbs, who can play 6 very effectively, we need to play both of them with Lydiate on the bench.
However given the choice I'd pick Tips over Warbs every day.

- - - Updated - - -

Watched the game late last night not knowing the score wasn't surprised to see Wales take it.

Thought the game was ok, some genuine moments of intensity and Wales certainly had a point to prove after the other week. both looked rusty (to be expected) and the rain certainly had an impact on the game.

I thought Wales looked incredibly fit, both they and England seem to have done fitness programs that are genuinely paying dividends. Unlike England they looked powerful in the contact, they are big guys anyway, but you could see the tempo and collisions having a huge impact towards the end of the game - plus the injuries for Ireland won't have helped.

Pattern wise, exactly what we expected a bit brainless and uninspiring by both teams, but it was good to see Wales moving the ball quickly on counter attack even in bad weather, but if we're going to see this much kicking in the world cup it's going to be awful and Wales really can't kick to Australia like that.

Tipuric did look good but he also wasn't playing against SO'B (not from the off at least) or Best they would have made a massive difference on the ground, Healy would have/will make a difference in defence and on the carry. Bowe and Trimble would not have conceded the air so easily to Halfpenny and co... Ireland missed Toner, but Henderson was immense - i'd move him to 6 and bring Toner into 2nd row.

Thought North looked good, thought Priestland looked good when he came on. Williams was good at 13 - no JD but certainly not a weakness. Roberts showed very little that we didn't already know (robotic and powerful). Webb looks more like Diplo every game, but also looks more and more like a world class scrum half he is quality.

Agree with all you said accept Priestland there were lots of Welsh fans hoping Wales would get a healthy lead Priestland would then come on and loose it for us, however when he came on I thought he looked distinctly average and hope Nipper gets in instead of him tomorrow.
Tips was MOM in every 1/4, he is world class.
In the front row Melon was back to his best and Francis had a good debut (not so worried about the tight 5 now)
AWJ immense as per usual.
Cuthbert joins the Priestland distinctly average class and would'nt be in my squad, Eli Walker offers much more.

Agree with all you said accept Priestland there were lots of Welsh fans hoping Wales would get a healthy lead Priestland would then come on and loose it for us, however when he came on I thought he looked distinctly average and hope Nipper gets in instead of him tomorrow.
Tips was MOM in every 1/4, he is world class.
In the front row Melon was back to his best and Francis had a good debut (not so worried about the tight 5 now)
AWJ immense as per usual.
Cuthbert joins the Priestland distinctly average class and would'nt be in my squad, Eli Walker offers much more.

Agree with you about priestland, he wasnt awful but average. although nipper may offer alot more in attack, i cannot see him being selected to cover 10/15, he will get steam rolled, the number of hits biggar took yesterday i dont think he would cope with. i know he plays 10 at bristol but these international players are a different breed all together. my bet is that priestland will be given the 2nd 10 slot and hopefully gatland will gamble on anscombe being fit. IF he doesnt go for anscombe then surely nipper will be selected as we have no 3rd 10 (unless you count hook but i doubt gatland will want him back)

EDIT: well now i feel silly, as looks like our 10's are Biggar, Priestland and Nipper, well done mr.morgan!

Last edited:
????
Best is notorious.
His arse goes like the bloody clappers as soon as the pressure's on and there's the sniff of a lineout
@cyRil will back me on this
I belatedly back you, Olyy.

Rory Best's arse at the lineout is like Morse ******* Code.

Latest posts