• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Warm Up Match: France vs England (22/08/2015)

Also depends which part you're talking about. The only place that's miserable in terms of rain is the west coast of the south island, the deep south (Otago, Invercargil, etc) and Wellington can throw a tantrum with it's gales and horizontal rain. Christchurch isn't really rainy (in fact, they suffered a shortage not long ago), it's just bloody cold. Beautiful mind you, but very chilly. There's no such thing as winter north of Auckland. And places like Hawkes Bay and Bay of Plenty can be just as good as what Australia has to offer. So there are plenty of parts that are probably better than England.

Overall I think it's in the genes a bit. Getting started at an early age helps. A lot of physical contact games that involve sprinting and avoid being clobbered are quite popular, a couple have even been banned. The Maori and Polynesian influence also helps in terms of adding another dimension to attacking rugby.

Oh yeah mate, my point was more that the perception of nice summer style winters isn't true, and the NZ lads are good just because they play rugby like that from the get go.

I think come the Ireland game with selection at 12 if Burgess is in the 31 which I think he will be, he needs to either start or get half a game as so far he's played one game for England at 12 against a 2nd string France team. If barritt comes back and gets injured again and burgess is 2nd choice, coming up against Roberts or gateau is abit different to who he was against for France
But then that leaves little time for barritt and jj to play together if they are the starting centres.

I agree that the Joseph to wing experiment might well happen-

Farrell, Nowell, Burgess/Barritt?, Slade, Joseph, Brown

I think a second playmaker is almost a prerequisite for Farrell- moreover Ford looks to be missing Eastmond (the attacking play stepped up several levels with Cips on the field). Without a no.12 who can do the job well, it has to come at 13 or 15, basically shoehorning Slade or Cips in as second playmaker might be worth the gamble.

I think come the Ireland game with selection at 12 if Burgess is in the 31 which I think he will be, he needs to either start or get half a game as so far he's played one game for England at 12 against a 2nd string France team. If barritt comes back and gets injured again and burgess is 2nd choice, coming up against Roberts or gateau is abit different to who he was against for France
But then that leaves little time for barritt and jj to play together if they are the starting centres.

I'm sure he will be able to handle a bit of cake

To be fair it's not been detailed by the English.

this is true to a certain degree but they still reply to SH posters who continue to talk about Australia, New Zealand which has nothing to do with this thread even Mods are abusing the thread!!!! the Sud Affs did not get involved once again respect a word often used in rugby but do people really know the meaning!!!!

See IMO this is the problem, We have relied and put everything on Ford, fords entire game relies on front foot ball, we have almost given ourselves no plan B, when we don't get the go forward ball, but it's to late to change Ford now, so they may start looking outside him, I wouldn't be surprised if last weekend has gotten Slade in the 31 Squad.

I genuinely prefer to think about threads as conversations, if everyone's happy with where it is, why drag it back artificially? Saying it's been derailed only moves it away further.

I think the second playmaker is starting to look essential, the issue is where to fit them in. People I see as playmakers include, in no particular order, Cipriani, Ford, Farrell (bite me), Goode and Slade, of the people available.

Cipriani is a 10 or 15 and he won't start at 10, much as I'm starting to think it might be a good idea. I wouldn't take him over Brown as a starter but he's a good option off the bench.

Farrell/Slade at inside centre- this currently makes the most sense to me, we've no definite 12, so we don't upset much and get another playmaker in.

Slade at 13, Joseph to wing; just when our wings are starting to look good- I don't like it. Rather keep JJ in the centres to work with Ford.

Goode at 15- ummmm, meh. Looked good against France B, but wasn't tested as he would be against Ireland.

He didn't start, but the point stands.
Not sure which game you were watching?
vkoWLZe.png

I genuinely prefer to think about threads as conversations, if everyone's happy with where it is, why drag it back artificially? Saying it's been derailed only moves it away further.

SO WHATS THE POINT IN THREAD ***LES WE JUST TALK ABOUT EVERYTHING AND EVERYTHING IN THE SAME THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if i am to understand correctly Franch v England warm game is all about Australia and New Zealand, hope yor life needs no organisation could be difficult.

I think the second playmaker is starting to look essential, the issue is where to fit them in. People I see as playmakers include, in no particular order, Cipriani, Ford, Farrell (bite me), Goode and Slade, of the people available.

Cipriani is a 10 or 15 and he won't start at 10, much as I'm starting to think it might be a good idea. I wouldn't take him over Brown as a starter but he's a good option off the bench.

Farrell/Slade at inside centre- this currently makes the most sense to me, we've no definite 12, so we don't upset much and get another playmaker in.

Slade at 13, Joseph to wing; just when our wings are starting to look good- I don't like it. Rather keep JJ in the centres to work with Ford.

Goode at 15- ummmm, meh. Looked good against France B, but wasn't tested as he would be against Ireland.

Does the above now leave us with some flexibility in terms of offerings on the bench?

Should SB and JJ form the basis of the centres, we could then have either Cipriani or Farrell on the bench, alongside Slade. We'd then have 10, 12, 13 and 15 covered, with JJ and MB able to slip out onto the wing if need be. Makes sense, but too late?

Does the above now leave us with some flexibility in terms of offerings on the bench?

Should SB and JJ form the basis of the centres, we could then have either Cipriani or Farrell on the bench, alongside Slade. We'd then have 10, 12, 13 and 15 covered, with JJ and MB able to slip out onto the wing if need be. Makes sense, but too late?

I don't see why it would be too late. Pretty much every (realistic) centre combo apart from LB/JJ is untried apart from perhaps 1 match, so I don't see why introducing a new one would make it too late. Plus lancaster seems more concerned about 12/15 cover from the 3rd bench spot than wing cover, so your bench seems like something he might consider.

JJ actually stepped in at first receiver a couple of times on Saturday and did well putting players into space. Not sure he's a 12 though, and it's certainly too late to be swithcing our best back to an unfamiliar position anyway.

On Ford's playmaking issues, I'm not sure the issue wasn't more about not having ball-carrying forwards running short off him (as well as his mediocre kicking game, that goes without saying).

hmmmm

No body turned up. I was flabbergasted at the performance in Paris, a game that looked like an end of season "lets get it over with" match. At this rate no chance of getting out the pool. But.....last time they looked poor at this staged they peaked just right. Heres hoping. No body running a line, very little gain on crash ball and no no7.

Alternatively, this could all be a huge ruse to catch the watchful hound totally orf guard.

Latest posts