• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Beckham 'to leave Real in summer'

Agreed that way he'll have full control over his imaging rights, which is where his money is to be made.

LA Stars (or is that Galaxy, I can't keep up with all these tags the Yanks put on their teams) would be my guess. Hense why Posh was out there looking at houses not to long ago.

LA Stars (or is that Galaxy, I can't keep up with all these tags the Yanks put on their teams) would be my guess. Hense why Posh was out there looking at houses not to long ago.
[/b]

You think she needs an excuse to go househunting in any part of the world?

Particularly one where people who are famous for more than being too skinny live.

People barely know who he is out here...
Good luck to him...I'd stay in Europe where I'd be appreciated...If I were him.

[/b]

Not sure how appreciated he really is, among football fans that is, screaming pre teens don't really count imo.

Anyway it's a done deal, he's off to the States next season and has signed a 5 year deal worth â'¬190 million, didn't think there was that sort of money in US soccer.

donno how much its worth, but saw his jersey for sale on an add on Fox Soccer Channel a few minutes ago.

well he'll certainly cause a frenzy off the pitch, won't do too much on it mind but when he went to Madrid they sold out of jerseys within hours of him signing for them.

Latest I hear is £500,000 p/w at LA Galaxy... :eek:

I wonder if I should tell him I'm his long lost cousin...

well if they're going to start forking out that sort of money then there'll be plenty of players leaving Europe for a piece of that action and who could blame them really.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Not sure how appreciated he really is, among football fans that is, screaming pre teens don't really count imo.

Anyway it's a done deal, he's off to the States next season and has signed a 5 year deal worth â'¬190 million, didn't think there was that sort of money in US soccer.
[/b][/quote]

This is huge. I guess when I made that above statement I wasn't really considering it happening. On second thought, every game the Galaxy plays will have record breaking crowds. I assume that this deal is a lot bigger than the LA Galaxy...it's a bigger deal for US Soccer to actually make something of themselves. We will probably become the burial ground for lot's of retiring stars.

and now Davids is in talks to go and play in America as well. How will European football cope if the Americans start poaching all these top players. :rolleyes:

The USA clearly have the funds

The USA provides a refuge for footballs stars to avoid the limelight

Soccer in USA is miniscule - like Australian Soccer

They go from 1 joint where they are heckled, ambushed and harrassed by millions of paparazzi and fans
To the next joint, where they are not really cared upon, and get paid more.

The weather is better too.

Dwight Yorke (i know its not a good analogy), but he loved playing in Australia, as he could roam around wherever he wanted, go out on benders, go to the beach, and nobody would even know who he was, or even care.

Sometime people with superstar status need this break in the limelight, to find themselves.
David has had his go at the big-time - its time to settle down, and make more money doing less.

Beckham isn't going to the States to avoid the limelight, he's a fame whore, he's been trying to raise his profile in the States for years now and obviously by going to LA in such a massive deal financially that'll certainly get the attention of the mainstream sports media and beyond.

Ah, but as Beckham will be earning as much as some NFL stars, I have a suspission he will get hounded a fair amount.

I disagree

Sure he will ge some limelight, but NONE in comparison to what he experiences in Europe

At first he'll be hounded by ESPN, and other TV channels for interviews etc

The gimmick will die down immensely.......even if he earned more $$ than the avg NFL star, they wont talk about it, cause soccer over there is like rugby League in the UK...or even worse

Pele wasnt the talk of the town when he arrived....in fact not many people know Pele even played there - thats an indication of the USA approach to soccer.

Beckham can go there and try and get into Hollywood..sure thats an option

But if he thinks he can be a Sports analyst in a sport they dont even care about (Soccer), and increase his own profile in the USA via that way is BS.

Hollywoods and talk shows are his only bet......if he stayes in Soccer in the USA when he hangs up the boots, like the ESPNSoccernet, that nobody in the USA knows about, he'll be on the HARD COPY missing persons report in a week.

Hounded at first YES
After a while - NO
His skills on the pitch wont help him either.........everyone thinks he is overated, in fact i reckon his missus will create more media stir than himself.

IN THE USA = GOSSIP > SOCCER

beckham is making more than most NFL players... can't imagine where LA are going to get this money to pay for his huge contract though.. they do play at the home depot center but thats only 20,000 or so seats large, maybe theyre banking on when they play chivas at the colliseum and draw about 100,000 fans like Barca did when they played there.

Latest posts