• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Being Dropped into Retirement

As someone who has recently decided to give up on playing rugby for the time being it, it was 100% down to starting to feel my body starting to give.

My biggest worry playing rugby was always my knees (Especially coming back from a big knee injury) and my back, I didn't want to be one of these guys in their Late 20's early 30's who where strapped up like a mummy taking a mouthful of pain killers just to play 80 mins for their local. So I always said to myself once I started to feel either pain in my back or Knees I would consider stopping and now in my mid 20's the time has come. I just didn't fancy spending the rest of my 20's or even my early 30's having to worry about my back or knees giving especially since it wasn't my living.

I might get back into it if things clear up, but who knows.

One thing I wished i did earlier was take up yoga though.

I was 13 and my school, despite spending only one P.E. lesson on rugby, somehow ended up at an inter-school competition. It was a ******* nightmare, we had no idea what we were doing and our teacher had no knowledge at all about the sport. Fortunately there was no set-pieces because positions were giving to us entirely at random. I was incredibly scrawny and all the posh schools had absolute behemoths. Bumped off tackles repeatedly and smashed any time I got the ball, it looked a bit like the video of Abendanon vs the Tuilagis. At one point I gave chase to one of their players who had broken through, running at full tilt I noticed out of the corner of my eye their biggest lad passing me by. This fucker looked like Kieran Brookes at his worst and he just burned me. Basically I had all the size and strength of George Ford with the speed and grace of Dan Cole.

I realised at that point it was time to hang up the boots and, after a long conversation in which he begged me to change my mind, Sir Clive reluctantly accepted my decision. It's funny now but I genuinely did completely lose interest in the sport for a couple of years after that day. If it wasn't for Jonny's heroics down-under I might not be here today watching Tigers get spanked 43 nil by Glasgow at Welford Road...Ahhh ****.

Dislocated my knee for the 2nd time playing 7s and it took a loooong time to come back from it,
When I did I played another season but never really felt comfortable and my knee was always giving me issues.
Also got tendonitis in my hand/wrist and no amount of strapping would stop it from being ****** for the week after playing.

In the end I decided I enjoyed being able to walk pain free more than I enjoyed playing.
Still miss it sometimes, would like to play some touch but the nearest o2 touch to me is like an hour drive each way or something ludicrous

Latest posts