• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Benetton racism accusation

Jeez absolutely horrible. Hope they get named quickly.

Not good enough for the club to say they have nothing to do with it.

Bloody disgusting. The suggestion a bunch of his teammates laughed at it says it all about Italian society and the scum that voted for their current fascist admiring government. Italy has never got to grips with the need for immigration with its plunging birth rate and the fact immigrants are a godsend for them and their only hope of keeping their economy afloat and a retirement age under 70. A story that underlines why I've held off on getting my Italian passport. Scotland has its issues but it's nowhere near this level of intolerance yet. I don't think it'll ever get that bad here in my lifetime.

Its not quite up there with a Nigerian getting kicked to death in broad daylight by an Italian racist while nobody intervened and some people filmed it. But it's part of the same mindset. 'Allports scale' and all that jazz.

Anyway, it's hard to see what the URC can do but there needs to be some internal investigation and punishment from the union first. With the URC, 6N and WR taking action if need be. A failure to take action is just going to lead to crap like this becoming more commonplace.

In reality. Nothing will happen and Traore will likely go abroad or quit the sport. Such is the 21st century.

Really vile,
Hopefully someone organised the secret Santa, rather than just names in a hat, so there's a record of who had who and it wasn't just a name in a hat, and whoever it was can have their contract put through a shredder as their Christmas present

Still in a bit of disbelief about this. Absolutely horrendous. Is it the unions who are signed up to the rugby against racism 'movement'? You have to feel that there needs to be strong action for this at all levels if rugby is serious about what it is espousing.

Hmm… a player from our club has raised a serious issue of racism internally… should we… try and start up an investigation, find out who it was, sanction them strongly and send a strong message that this is unacceptable in the game and we have zero tolerance? … Nah, let's just pass it off as the crazy uncle making a bad comment and it's just a joke, that this kind of thing happens in families, then have the victim of the action make a video saying we are family. That will do it! No more issues then!

He did everything correctly,imo. Shared his feelings about it and explained that this kind of "jokes" is unacceptable and can really hurt,but didn't run to complain and point out at those who did it/laughed. He acted like a man 👍 hopefully this story will teach his stupid teammates

It's really upsetting that this kind of thing still happens in this day and age. That whole team need educating.

Really feel for him having to continue working in that environment.

I almost feel the most disappointing is the club's response. Thoroughly senseless and viscious act, the laughing is sad but one could almost wonder if some of it might be nervousness rather than everyone being in on it. BUT the club has had time and the response is a considered non-action which is an action in itself.

Words fail me. Abject response and almost worse than my prediction of 'nothing will happen'. Italia 2022 in a nutshell.

I almost feel the most disappointing is the club's response. Thoroughly senseless and viscious act, the laughing is sad but one could almost wonder if some of it might be nervousness rather than everyone being in on it. BUT the club has had time and the response is a considered non-action which is an action in itself.

I know nothing about Traore, but it doesn't sound like nervous laughter or an attempt to navigate an awkward situation via humour like "Oh FFS, yellow card to whoever did that, hahaha". I could see myself making such an inadequate instinctive response and regretting it. But it sounds like literally nobody stepped up in any way and that would seem to be consistent with the clubs response and recent Italian voting patterns.

I agree the clubs response, being measured and taken in slow time, is now the most disappointing element of this sorry saga. The union may feel limited in what they can do because Benetton are privately owned but really they need to say something.

I hope for his self-respect he can get a job at another club in another country

Unnamed player suspended pending investigation. Happy with folk being unnamed until a verdict is reached.

I suspect the initial response was considered a bad look PR wise for the named owners of the club who decades ago brought us the first advert I think I'd ever seen with different skin tones/ethnicities with their 'United Colours of Benetton' campaign.

Ivan Nemer has been suspended for the rest of the season and has waived his right to appeal the ban.

Edit for context: Nemer was the player that Benetton initially suspended after the incident. They then left it up to the independent judge of the Italian Union to decide the sanction and this is what they have now decided upon.

Better than nothing as a punishment. I assume the announcement of the sanction means the URX thinks its sufficient. If he is suspended without pay and misses the 6N it's probably a reasonable sanction. Hopefully the club have learnt to be less crap in future.

Latest posts