• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Best Game Of All Time?

A

Arnold Rimmer

Pardon me if there has been a thread on this already, but anyhow tough luck.

I'm interested to see if people can give their opinions and possibly nominations for the best game and try of all time.

My best game would have to be the one where Rob Andrew (bless his heart) sunk Australia in the quarter-finals on the 95 world cup.

Best try? I've always liked Richard Bands' springbok effort against the All Blacks. He looked for all the world like a giant runaway wheelie bin. Or perhaps the final french try against the All Blacks in second 94 test?

Yours please?

my own personal favourites (being a wallabies fan). they come from the same game:

RWC2003 semi final, wallabies defeated all blacks against all odds

sterling mortlock's intercept off a king carlos pass and 80m run to score under the posts

The game NZ v Oz where Jonah scored right at the end for us to win 33-31 or something to that effect. In Melbourne was it? Sh*t my memories to crap... help anyone?

I can watch the 1973 BaaBaas vs ABs match over and over again.

The game is packed with quality, and I doubt anyone could name any team with as many great players as the BaaBaas put out that day. The backline was simply awesome.

Originally posted by dobrien7@Jul 24 2006, 09:29 AM
The game NZ v Oz where Jonah scored right at the end for us to win 33-31 or something to that effect. In Melbourne was it? Sh*t my memories to crap... help anyone?
Yep fantastic game that , and definately the greatest 2 game series ever!

2000 Game 1 35-39 ...... AB's sprint out to a 24 point lead inside the first 10 minutes, Wallabies fight back to level it at half time, Wallabies take the lead with only the kick-off to contend with,then in the dying moments of the match big Jonah crashes over for the match winner. :wall:

2000 Game 2 24-23....... in the final seconds of the return leg with Mortlock off the field and Australia down by two points...... the great John Eales steps up and nails the match winning penalty from the sideline to retain the Bledisloe.:champion:

Dobrien7, first game was in Sydney(telstra) and the return leg was in Wellington(westpac).

Said 2000 game above... The Greatest Game ever played in front of the Greatest Crowd (110,000)

Also

- 1995 RWC Final
- 1996 2nd test in the AB's vs Springboks series to give New Zealand its first test series victory on South African soil

that game in 2000 I have it on tape.

game long time ago abs v wallabies at athletic park. abs cleaned up in pouring rain and mud 43-7

yeah 1996 I think. great game. was raining and muddy and the abs played an awesome game simply blew the aussies off the park.

The 1st Baa-Baa's try by Edwards would also get my vote for best try.

Best match is more difficult - I would say it would need to be one where everyone who watched it, whether they supported one of the teams or not, would say it was a great game.

A few games that spring to mind are the two between NZ and Aus in 2000 and also SA v NZ the same year, the 1995 and 2003 world cup finals, 87 world cup semi when France beat Aus (yep, I'm old!), the 2001 (Leicester/Stade) and 2004 (Wasps/Toulouse) European cup finals,

However, my vote goes to the 1999 World Cup semi-final - when France came back from 24-10 down against a seemingly unbeatable Lomu-inspired All-Black team, to turn it round and win 43-31.

Originally posted by The TRUTH+Jul 24 2006, 07:29 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-dobrien7
@Jul 24 2006, 09:29 AM
Yep fantastic game that , and definately the greatest 2 game series ever!

2000 Game 1 35-39 ...... AB's sprint out to a 24 point lead inside the first 10 minutes, Wallabies fight back to level it at half time, Wallabies take the lead with only the kick-off to contend with,then in the dying moments of the match big Jonah crashes over for the match winner. :wall:

2000 Game 2 24-23....... in the final seconds of the return leg with Mortlock off the field and Australia down by two points...... the great John Eales steps up and nails the match winning penalty from the sideline to retain the Bledisloe.:champion:

Dobrien7, first game was in Sydney(telstra) and the return leg was in Wellington(westpac). [/b]
Ah yes it all comes flooding back to me now... cheers :)

Originally posted by esoj@Jul 24 2006, 08:14 PM
yeah 1996 I think. great game. was raining and muddy and the abs played an awesome game simply blew the aussies off the park.
first ever official tri-nations game

Ireland v England 2004- we beat the world champs in "Fortress Twickenham" 19-13 with Gordon Darcy making the best individual break I have ever seen leading up to our try

other good ones being
RWC final 2003
Wales v France 2005
Munster v Sale in Thomand 2006
Ireland v England 2006

The 2000 Bledisloe match by a bloody mile

It is by far the greatest rugby match of all time

I'll never forget it.

Originally posted by MightyQuin@Jul 24 2006, 09:59 AM
The 1st Baa-Baa's try by Edwards would also get my vote for best try.

Best match is more difficult - I would say it would need to be one where everyone who watched it, whether they supported one of the teams or not, would say it was a great game.

A few games that spring to mind are the two between NZ and Aus in 2000 and also SA v NZ the same year, the 1995 and 2003 world cup finals, 87 world cup semi when France beat Aus (yep, I'm old!), the 2001 (Leicester/Stade) and 2004 (Wasps/Toulouse) European cup finals,

However, my vote goes to the 1999 World Cup semi-final - when France came back from 24-10 down against a seemingly unbeatable Lomu-inspired All-Black team, to turn it round and win 43-31.
Mightyquin, I fully agree with you as far as Test Rugby is concerned. Regarding club Rugby I have not found so far that the H-cup finals offered Top quality. Thy can be thrilling but are hardly festival of attacking Rugby.

Best game which meant something was the Munster vs Sale game in Limerick.. Best game which was all for fun has to be The North vs The South in Twickers..

Best try was either the French try against New Zealand in 1994 called "The try from the edge of the Earth"..

Or..

For sheer class out of nothing, one of Dominic's tries against the All Blacks in the 1999 World Cup, or one of Lomu's two tries, even the one against England..

There are so many to think about it's hard to keep track of them all..

1996 ABs VS Aus
2000 Abs Vs Aus
1995 WC semi ABs Vs England
and 2000 NPC final first and proly only time in my lifetime Wellington will win the NPC lol

Latest posts