• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Best number 8 ?

Who you think is the the world's best number 8 ?

• Total voters
if we're being completely honest me but sadly im not on the list
Really sorry about that the number of choices was limited to 10 and I ve hesitated a long time btwen you and parrisse about gorgodze think he plays more often flanker than 8

Has to be Parisse really, plays for Italy and still is awesome every match.

While it's definitely a 2 horse race between Read and Parisse (Spies is all power and speed... Which is great, but frankly doesn't make him the best 8 in the world), in my opinion Parisse edges it.

Read is an absolute work horse in attack and defence, and great for making hard yards + linking play, but Parisse has sublime hands and is at times a one man army in the Italian side. Huge presence in attack, plays first receiver for Italy regularly in open play, a wall in defence..

Oh. And I haven't seen Read do this :lol:

So, under that criterion, Matt Dunning is the best prop in the world?? XD

Last edited by a moderator:
Really sorry about that the number of choices was limited to 10 and I ve hesitated a long time btwen you and parrisse about gorgodze think he plays more often flanker than 8
lol ok nice to see that i was in contention :)

Parisse is the best in my opinion, but I also rate Harinordoquy, Read and Heaslip highly

Juan Martín Fernández Lobbe should also be on that list

Its easy for Parisse to get noticed as he is the captain of Italy. I think getting noticed in the All Blacks is much harder. You could argue it's easier to play there but stand out from players that are the best in their positions is not an easy feat. Aerial skills wise Read has nothing to envy Parisse at.

Its easy for Parisse to get noticed as he is the captain of Italy. I think getting noticed in the All Blacks is much harder. You could argue it's easier to play there but stand out from players that are the best in their positions is not an easy feat. Aerial skills wise Read has nothing to envy Parisse at.

Or you could say that it's far easier to look good in a team that's winning all the time. I don't buy into either arguement really, if you're good enough it'll show.

Nick Easter..... :p

But really it's gotta be Kieran Read (though Parrise and Heaslip both come close)

Some of these options are hilarious I rate Read, Heaslip and Parisse as my top three all incredibly close with in my opinion Heaslip shadeing it. Suprised by lack of mentions he's got people mentioning Spies ahead of him get clean.

Some of these options are hilarious I rate Read, Heaslip and Parisse as my top three all incredibly close with in my opinion Heaslip shadeing it. Suprised by lack of mentions he's got people mentioning Spies ahead of him get clean.

Heaslip doesn't have the all round game of Read and Parisse. I would have called in a 5 person race in 2009 but Read, Parisse and Harinordoquy are a class above the rest with just brilliant all round games. Louis Picamoles is also one of the best attacking number eights, but again, you need an all round game.

Heaslip doesn't have the all round game of Read and Parisse. I would have called in a 5 person race in 2009 but Read, Parisse and Harinordoquy are a class above the rest with just brilliant all round games. Louis Picamoles is also one of the best attacking number eights, but again, you need an all round game.

Couldnt disagree more. Heaslip in my opinion is easily the best. He is the best ball player, best attacker, best defender and best at the breakdown!

Heaslip has great defense and breakdown skills. Is also a good lineout leader. Also considered a brilliant leader and future Ireland captain by many.

Also in my opinion while he has great skills Harinodoquy doesn't perform on the big stage.

Read, Parisse and Harinordoquy are a class above the rest with just brilliant all round games

Harinordoquy??? He's a french rugby player and by definition blows hot and cold (unless his name is Thierry Dusautoir). When he's on form he's could be considered the best in the world but then again you could say that for alot of the french rugby team.

I'd say Harinordoquy is actually surprisingly consistent for France. Sure when the whole team is on a cold run he may not have a top game but he's certainly not as hit and miss as a great number of other French players.

He should definitely be in contention for the ***le of best number 8, although I guess Heaslip would edge it out from him. Still even these two (as world-class as they are) are not, in my mind at least, on the same level as Parisse and Read.

12 months ago I would have said Parisse, but over the last year I think Read has been the best number 8 in the world. He won the New Zealand player of the season award last year, beating out the IRB world player of the year (McCaw). These days he is as important to the AB's, if not more important, than Richie McCaw. Parisse would be my second choice, followed by Harinordoquy and Knee-slip.

This thread will actually be a lot more interesting if there was a set criteria to define what the attributes are to be the best no. 8...

some teams use different types of no. 8's to play a certain type of gameplan. other has more freedom and don't necesarily need to commit to breakdown areas and so on.

Kieron Read is a lot different from Pierre Spies, Jamie Heaslip is a lot different from Andy Powell... the list goes on and on...

I will be very biased without a set criteria as Pierre Spies' entire life story alone makes me sit up and watch this monster get unleashed.

He played wing in High School, went to the Bulls and Heyneke Meyer converted him into a no. 8. was the best no.8 by a long mile in 2007 and then had to stay at home during the world cup in france because of a life threatening blood illness, which could've ended his career.

after last weeks sterling performance against the Aussies he's slowly starting to show his masterclass again and peaking at the right time for the world cup.

I voted for the guy who lives in my hemisphere.

My hemisphere rules

Christ ................. I voted Nick Easter for a joke, who was the other numpty? go on, own up!

Last edited:

Righty-o, without meaning to sound condescending, that's just silly. Heaslip is fantastic at the break down and a good tackler to boot. Just because he's bloody fantastic with ball in hand doesn't mean that that's all there is to his game. There was a reason he was up for World player of the year a while back (or did I just make that up)

Righty-o, without meaning to sound condescending, that's just silly. Heaslip is fantastic at the break down and a good tackler to boot. Just because he's bloody fantastic with ball in hand doesn't mean that that's all there is to his game. There was a reason he was up for World player of the year a while back (or did I just make that up)

YEas, he was. So have been Ryean Jones, Parisse and Harinordoquy. Read hasn't, though only the blokes at the IRB know why...

Latest posts