• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Best technique for breakways?

S

Scrumit2

I have managed to become a decent player in all asspects of 08 other than grubbers and breakways. My major difficulty is when I get a great run I can never recycle the ball because the other team aways seems to have players come out of nowhere and join the ruck. I play with the All Blacks and QLD Reds so I get my fair bit of linebreaks with Digby and Roko but I can never get support. Digby can usually fend his way to a try but Roko, Peter Hynes, and Sivi don't have the strength and the Swerve takes too long to work so its useless in game play. HELP. Should I not use the speed boost? Should I put in a grubber and take my chances? Is it just a game play issue and I should just be happy with the territory gain? Someone please give me pointers because I can't successfully make the jump from Pro to Elite because unless I always run with Nonu and Digby I can't maintain forward momentuim.

when crowded and surrounded by the defense and can not make a pass I always play with leg

Just kick forward the ball and then follow with sprint

Frequently it turns into very useful and successive offensive episode

Just try it

I have a similar problem, except I;m on Elite and find it very frustrating when I keep making breaks getting turned over, but then they pose no threat whatsoever in attack to me. So it's usually, I make a break, tackled, turned over, series of pick and drives by them/aimless kicking, turnover, repeat. I almost always win these games, but it gets frustrating when every clean break results in a turnover.

I don't play much, but the key is the momentum bar. Before moving the ball wide crash it up a few times and you will build momentum providing you get over the gain line (use tight forwards of the side of the ruck or just try and beat the first defender with your 10 and take it into contact or else us a centre like Nonu to smash the defence with a fend/shoulder. After 4/5 phases when the bar is 2/3 full turnovers are way less frequent.

This is from playing 06 a while back btw, never really liked 08.

Well usually playing against my mates, when i get a breakaway, and there's no one too pass or in support, i'd usually do a u-turn to get tackled allows me to be closer to support or might hold on to the pass button then just before the tackle let go then the slow as lob pass (careful of intercepts) will find one of the team mates then he can get tackled but then he'll be closer to the support. Not sure if that's something you want to do.

Latest posts