• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Boardgames

TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
Let me know if I missed it but I havn't seen a thread about boardgames on here. Apart from rugby probably one of my favorite hobbies.

Some of my fav ***les:
1 Great Western Trail
2 Terra Mystica
3 Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calender
4 Terraforming Mars
5 Kemet
6 Blood Rage
7 Trickerion: Lords of Illusion
8 Race for the Galaxy
9 7 Wonders
10 Scythe

Ones on my radar I am keen to get a closer look at (any comments/recs?)
1 Inis
2 The Voyages of Marco Polo
3 Trajan
4 Cyclades
5 Roll Player
6 Gugong
7 Rising Sun
8 Underwater Cities
9 Teotihuacan
10 A Feast for Odin
11 Brass: Birmingham
... actually, so many more LOL

I actually own Cyclades and am borrowing a copy of Trajan. Just haven't been able to get it to the table. My brother owns Rising Sun. Just not close enough and at family get-togethers the games don't come out often.

Don't worry that no-one is responding, OP. Board gaming is a fine hobby. Its just poor timing from you posting this here at the start of the RWC on a Rugby forum.

Don't worry that no-one is responding, OP. Board gaming is a fine hobby. Its just poor timing from you posting this here at the start of the RWC on a Rugby forum.

Yeah it's probably the timing of the post rather than the content that has caused you to be left hanging here.

I've always kinda 'fancied' getting into D&D (not sure if that's considered Board game or table-top) but in all honesty, I'm a video-game fan and I'd probably always reach for the controller over the dice... still the ***les of some of the games you mentioned sound intriguing.

Did someone say boardgames?

Yes I missed this completely in deluge of RWC threads.

D&D is a tabletop RPG it's not a board game really and more interactive storytelling. My difference would be boardgames are played within a strict set of rules whereas RPGs have rules they are less enforced and way more abit making stuff up. I like both although D&D is just a gateway RPG far better games and settings out there.

Flavour of the month in my household is Terraforming Mars although other games that get heavy play are Star Wars: Rebellion, Star Wars: Imperial Assault, Ticket to Ride, Dominion, 7 Wonders Duel (great as a 2 player version of 7 Wonders) and Love Letter (Original and Batman variants)

Yeah it's probably the timing of the post rather than the content that has caused you to be left hanging here.

I've always kinda 'fancied' getting into D&D (not sure if that's considered Board game or table-top) but in all honesty, I'm a video-game fan and I'd probably always reach for the controller over the dice... still the ***les of some of the games you mentioned sound intriguing.

Fair enough. I can fully understand the allure of the controller. D&D (tabletop RPG like ncurd said) is awesome but you need a few things to come together which is easier said than done namely a dedicated group of players and a DM that fits in with the feel and expectations of said group. Some people just want a laugh, some take it very serious. Both have a point and generally the two don't mix. If you hit it off though its magic.

Did someone say boardgames?

Yes I missed this completely in deluge of RWC threads.

D&D is a tabletop RPG it's not a board game really and more interactive storytelling. My difference would be boardgames are played within a strict set of rules whereas RPGs have rules they are less enforced and way more abit making stuff up. I like both although D&D is just a gateway RPG far better games and settings out there.

Flavour of the month in my household is Terraforming Mars although other games that get heavy play are Star Wars: Rebellion, Star Wars: Imperial Assault, Ticket to Ride, Dominion, 7 Wonders Duel (great as a 2 player version of 7 Wonders) and Love Letter (Original and Batman variants)

Those are some stellar ***les. I haven't played either of the Star Wars IP games. I'll check them out as they are mentioned in some illustrious company as far as I'm concerned. 7WD probably my favorite two player game and Love Letter great for a quickie.

Not a board game and definitely not for the sensitive but after a few drinks Cards Against Humanity can get very very funny.

Flavour of the month with us at the minute is Carcassonne. Got the big box set and a couple of the expansions really add a lot more depth to the game and the experience.

Others in no particular order include: Ticket to Ride (European version much superior than the original), 7 Wonders, Century Spice Road, Viticulture, Smallworld, and Catan.

Flavour of the month with us at the minute is Carcassonne. Got the big box set and a couple of the expansions really add a lot more depth to the game and the experience.

Others in no particular order include: Ticket to Ride (European version much superior than the original), 7 Wonders, Century Spice Road, Viticulture, Smallworld, and Catan.

Those in bold (and King of Tokyo) were the games that got me into the hobby. 7 Wonders came a tad after but still sees heavy play.

Fan of the classics.
Monopoly
Trivial Pursuits
Scrabble
Risk (Never known a game take so long)
Cluedo

Also some lesser known ones:
Dark Tower- Mix of electronic and board game. Anyone who remember this will remember 'Dada! Dada! Brigands!' (old man gave away my mint in box version of this to a neighbours 10yr old who wrecked it in a week)
Dover Patrol - really old but still one of my favourites, and my 9yr old Nephew absolutely loves playing it when he comes over from Canada.

I also missed this completely with all the a World Cup discussion.

Haven't managed to play as much recently but absolutely love it as a hobby, for whatever reason always appealed to me more than video games.

From your list I'd highly recommend Inis, it's not for everyone but I think it's absolutely brilliant and worth trying for everyone. Blood Rage is class as well.

Off the top of me head I'd put Dominion, Twilight Struggle and A Game of Thrones and Commands and Colours (a predecessor to Memoir 44) as some of my favorites, but there are many more I can't think of right now.

Fan of the classics.
Monopoly
Trivial Pursuits
Scrabble
Risk (Never known a game take so long)
Cluedo

Also some lesser known ones:
Dark Tower- Mix of electronic and board game. Anyone who remember this will remember 'Dada! Dada! Brigands!' (old man gave away my mint in box version of this to a neighbours 10yr old who wrecked it in a week)
Dover Patrol - really old but still one of my favourites, and my 9yr old Nephew absolutely loves playing it when he comes over from Canada.
Argh, that horrible! I'll always have a soft spot for Monopoly and I'll still play Scrabble!
I also missed this completely with all the a World Cup discussion.

Haven't managed to play as much recently but absolutely love it as a hobby, for whatever reason always appealed to me more than video games.

From your list I'd highly recommend Inis, it's not for everyone but I think it's absolutely brilliant and worth trying for everyone. Blood Rage is class as well.

Off the top of me head I'd put Dominion, Twilight Struggle and A Game of Thrones and Commands and Colours (a predecessor to Memoir 44) as some of my favorites, but there are many more I can't think of right now.

Inis is actually top on my 'to get' list purely on the back of I loev Kemet and Cyclades (got a play in finally) and it completes the trio from the same designers/publisher. Have only heard good things.

I havn't played Twilight Struggle yet but I know it is highly rated. A Game of Thrones is actually the first BG I ever purchased with my own money. The 1st edition obviously back in 2001. The art just looked very cool. From there I picked up the books so even if only for that I was glad for the purchase though the game rarely sees play these days. Hard to get a 5 player game together where people don't rather want to play something else.

Updating my top 10.

Race for the Galaxy has gone up mainly due to it being my go-to online platform 5/10 minute past-time during lock-down (hence my profile pic):

1 Terra Mystica
2 The Voyages of Marco Polo
3 Great Western Trail
4 Race for the Galaxy
5 Kemet
6 Inis
7 Cyclades
8 Blood Rage
9 Trickerion
10 Terraforming Mars

Any recommendations from anyone in the hobby based on the above? I have Brass: Brimingham, Concordia and Gaia Project on my radar but have not yet had the opportunity to play.

Recently picked up Through the Ages. Love it but you need to invest time into it. Played a four player game recently with a couple of brand new players and it took about 6.5-7 hours. Reckon we could knock a bit off that but still ....

Great game though.

Recently picked up Through the Ages. Love it but you need to invest time into it. Played a four player game recently with a couple of brand new players and it took about 6.5-7 hours. Reckon we could knock a bit off that but still ....

Great game though.

Phffwarr! 7 Hours! I've seen the game is highly rated but I've heard its a commitment in time. Don't have a copy to play but would love to try it sometime. I can borrow a copy of Twilight Imperium 4th ed. But also just havn't had the guts to get it, sit down and give it a go.

1 Great Western Trail
2 Terra Mystica
3 Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calender
4 Terraforming Mars
5 Kemet
6 Blood Rage
7 Trickerion: Lords of Illusion
8 Race for the Galaxy
9 7 Wonders
10 Scythe

What a difference 3 years make. Some of those ***le would still comfortably make what I'd think of as a top 10. Today, I feel like:

1 Terra Mystica / Gaia Project - have a copy of Age of Innovation pre-ordered and very excited about it
2 Kanban EV
3 Dune Imperium (with expansions. base game much lower) - excited for DI - Uprising
4 Barrage
5 Great Western Trail (a friend has GWT Argentina but I havn't played yet)
6 Voyages of Marco Polo (I prefer i over ii)
7 Cyclades
8 Lorenzo il' Magnifico
9 Navegador
10 Hansa Teutonica

Too many honorable mentions to mention really but to give it a go, MtG, Blood Rage, Keet, Inis, Game of Thrones, Pax Pamir ii, Brass Lancashire, Tzolkin the Mayan Calender, Castles of Burgundy, Concordia, Obsession, Race for the Galaxy, Trickerion, Red Cathedral, Newton, and lets park it with Heaven and Ale.

I've been working since my last post on designs of my own and have two at a developed stage but getting a design published is taking ages. I am in discussions with a largish Czech based publisher but the hobby is so flooded with people pushing their brews the publishing houses aren't in any sort of hurry and I've not been able to get a firm yes or no yet. Will post here if anything takes off. I've thought a lot about but ultimately decided against trying to self-publish on Kickstarter or similar crowdfunding platforms.

Latest posts