Bob Skinstad signs for Sharks

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by blaggard, Dec 14, 2006.

1. blaggard

blaggard Guest

check out:
    http://www.planet-rugby.com/News/story_55841.shtml

I think this is great news. I've always thought that Skinstad would return someday, but at 31, has he left it to late?

Will we see him in the green and gold again at the RWC in France?
    If he can play anything like did before, then i dont see why not.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. BokMagic

BokMagic Guest

Well I can see why not- what with Burger, Spies, Floors, Smith and Van Niekerk the front-runners for the back-row positions, I cannot see a 30-year old who hasn`t played at a decent level for several years featuring in the Bok side.

Bob last played for Richmond in London League One- and anyway, after the most famous knee in SA since, well, knees were made, Bob was never the same player anyway. Can`t really see him even cracking the Sharks` run-on team- AJ Venter is the experienced enforcer, and with promising youngsters like Kankowski and Daniel around, it`ll be a crime for him to get game-time. Maybe he can act as a sort of mentor for the youngsters, as long as he doesn`t teach them how to fark up their kness in a drunken auto-accident, or how to throw away a seriously promising rugby career to pursue real estate success.

I believe that Durban is fast becoming the retirement homes for all ex-Bok has-beens who once featured for Province/Stormers in their more illustrious days- Percy and now Bob. What price Robbie Fleck and Pieter Rossouw come back next year as Sharkies? Only time will tell..........

4. Bull

Bull Guest

Yawn, a never was returning to rugby. But on that note Anton Leonard is back with the Bulls, coming out of retirement to help them out because off a loose forward shortage. This is a guy who never got full recognition as a player and should have had more than 2 tests to his name.

5. BokMagic

BokMagic Guest

Anton Leonard returning is definately a more newsworthy item than Bob trying to tie up his old togs again. But I just can`t really see the loose-forward shortage at the Bulls this season- Dlulane coming back from injury, Wannenburg, Spies, Lobberts, Van Heerden, Derick Kuun- geez, how many do you guys need?

Anyway, I actually agree that the Great Grey One certainly deserved more than just his 2 tests for the Boks- a bit like Wikus Van Heerden, a true competitor who was always underrated in SA and deserved more. Both are not the flashest players around, but more honest grafters you`ll struggle to find.

6. Bull

Bull Guest

I don't know when Dlulane will be back form injury, I think it's still going to be a while. Spies is out for 4 months and they are moving Kuun to hooker for some reason. I also think Wannenburg is injured but I may be wrong.

7. chook

chook Guest

Skinstad hasnt being doing much for a few years, at the very least his body wil be a bit more preserved than all the other 31yr who kept playing in the interim. I think he had a drop goal once so he could be like Dunning didnt he?

8. BokMagic

BokMagic Guest

Well, he`s been playing centre for Richmond in league 1 of late, don`t reckon he`ll be up to it anyway.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!