• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bonus Points

S

shazbooger

Stupid question but I cant remember if they are in play this time round. e.g. a bonus point for scoring 4 tries, and another for losing within 7 points.

I presume they arent. Can anyone confirm?

No the world cup will be adorned with their unholy presence. Another rule designed only for the spectator. Look at how exciting the 6N was without them.

I'm a fan of them actually. Just didnt expect them to be in the WC when they aint in use within the 6 nations and the tri-nations(are they?). They could be fairly important in the Group of Death, especially when it comes to the matches between Ireland, Argentina and France.

Bonus points are only of use in a long league, or if there is a very close group. Potentially Ireland, Argentina and France could all lose 1 game. That's probably one of the few situations in which bonus points could be important. Most pools the winner will not lose, 1 team will lose 1, another team will lose 2. Bonus points are unlikely to affect the outcome of any pools.

i thought the bonus poins were being used for the world cup. i was pretty certain of it.

and yes it is used in the tri nations.

Yes there will be bonus points this years - like 4 years ago.

Pretty exciting for the pool of death !

I dont think the bonus point system has ever been used in a RWC. If 3 teams all finish with the same points, then whoever has the better For & Against will move on to the play-offs.

That means whoever the minnow is in the group of death will get a thrashing from France, Argies & Ireland.

Tournament Rules
Pool phase

The 20 Teams will be allocated to four pools of five Teams each in accordance with
the RWC 2007 draw. The pool phase will consist of a round robin in which each
Team shall play each other Team within the pool once. There shall be 10 Matches
played in each pool, for a total of 40 Matches in the pool phase of the Tournament.
Match points system.

The following number of Match points will be awarded for each pool phase Match:

Win 4 points
Draw 2 points
4 or more tries 1 point
Loss by 7 points or less 1 point

No Match points will be awarded to a Team which has been expelled from the
Tournament, refuses to play a Match or abandons a Match in progress, without
direction from Match Officials or the RWC Match Commissioner, subject to the
provisions of the Terms of Participation.

When no Match points are awarded to a Team for a given Match, its opponent in that
Match shall be awarded a win and therefore four Match points.

Where a Team is expelled from the Tournament, it shall forfeit all Match points
previously awarded, and its opponents in each Match previously played shall be
awarded four Match points (which shall replace any Match points previously awarded
from the particular Match). All points scored for and against in these Matches shall be
discounted in the official pool rankings and Team records used for Tournament
purposes.
[/b]

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/rules/index.html

i love being right :)

Tournament Rules
Pool phase

The 20 Teams will be allocated to four pools of five Teams each in accordance with
the RWC 2007 draw. The pool phase will consist of a round robin in which each
Team shall play each other Team within the pool once. There shall be 10 Matches
played in each pool, for a total of 40 Matches in the pool phase of the Tournament.
Match points system.

The following number of Match points will be awarded for each pool phase Match:

Win 4 points
Draw 2 points
4 or more tries 1 point
Loss by 7 points or less 1 point

No Match points will be awarded to a Team which has been expelled from the
Tournament, refuses to play a Match or abandons a Match in progress, without
direction from Match Officials or the RWC Match Commissioner, subject to the
provisions of the Terms of Participation.

When no Match points are awarded to a Team for a given Match, its opponent in that
Match shall be awarded a win and therefore four Match points.

Where a Team is expelled from the Tournament, it shall forfeit all Match points
previously awarded, and its opponents in each Match previously played shall be
awarded four Match points (which shall replace any Match points previously awarded
from the particular Match). All points scored for and against in these Matches shall be
discounted in the official pool rankings and Team records used for Tournament
purposes.
[/b]

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/rules/index.html

i love being right :) [/b]

Bonus points were first introduced at the last world cup - personally I'm not a big fan of them, however as mentioned previously they seldom make a difference in determining the outcome of pools...

They also are a thing for the media to grasp hold of: there were lots of bonus-point headlines in English tabloids when they were introduced to the 6N and then in the world cup.

BPs won't make a difference to any of the groups i reckon...
They're pointless!!

From memory, bonus points were first introduced in Super 12 and Tri-Nations rugby in 1996. I think they're now used across most tournaments (was surprised that they're not used in the 6 nations). They're a good idea I think, as they add a bit of interest to the end of a game where the result may already be beyond doubt.

They also are a thing for the media to grasp hold of: there were lots of bonus-point headlines in English tabloids when they were introduced to the 6N and then in the world cup. [/b]

they're not in the 6N yet and there's no plans to introduce them either but I can see the point in having them in the world cup when you have such tightly contested pools like D plus it's not beyond the realms of probability that Scotland and Italy could draw making that all important bonus point against NZ a big incentive to either side.

Not really cause had they been in then the approaches taken by the teams would have been different so who's to say it would have worked out as it did?

Ah yeah - i know that, but just imposing the system on the results as they stand produces a nicer outcome than we had.

<div class='quotemain'> They also are a thing for the media to grasp hold of: there were lots of bonus-point headlines in English tabloids when they were introduced to the 6N and then in the world cup. [/b]

they're not in the 6N yet and there's no plans to introduce them either but I can see the point in having them in the world cup when you have such tightly contested pools like D plus it's not beyond the realms of probability that Scotland and Italy could draw making that all important bonus point against NZ a big incentive to either side.
[/b][/quote]

i thought they had been used once in the 6N, but i could be (and probably am) wrong

Latest posts