Boot Question - 6 or 8 studs?

Mrr

Academy Player
Country Flag
Canada
Club or Nation
Canada
Hey there,

I'm looking to order some boots from the UK in the next bit (I live in Canada), and am wondering if anyone can give me a bit of insight into the stud formation and the difference it would actually make in playing my position, which is second row.

The pair that I'm looking at is a 6 stud boot with two plastic blades behind the front 4 - I'm aware that 6 studs are generally for backs and 8 studs are for forwards to give extra support and traction in the scrums.. but would the missing two studs really hinder my performance as a second row that much? I feel like this might be a silly question, but my coach is adamant that I get an 8 stud boot and I'm really in love with this pair. I'd like to go ahead and get them anyway.. Would it really be much of an issue?

7, be adventurous

I do like to live dangerously

Guess depends on the ground you play on usually.

I live in Vancouver, so it's constant rain for most of the season. The only time the ground isn't soft for us is during the summer when we're just having 7's matches.. and I've got a pair of football cleats for then.

I think I'm just going to go for them. I kind of figured it wouldn't be a huge issue but just had to check. It would suck to buy them and have them drive me nuts. Thanks for the help!

I've played 2nd row for years and have to say you need the 8 studs. The reason being that when you are in the scrum it's only the front studs that connect to the ground while driving. So having those 2 extra means you got two more anchor points in the ground. Defiantly worth while.

I am told that 8 studs are preferred by Quins' full backs?

Latest posts