• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Braid leaves for Reds

B

bobilycious

http://www.rugbyheaven.co.nz/4716929a22363.html
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
All Blacks and Auckland flanker Daniel Braid has confirmed he is leaving New Zealand rugby, taking up a two-year deal with the Queensland Reds that will start with next season's Super 14.

Braid crosses the Tasman as one of the first major signings since Australia relaxed the eligibility rules for their Super 14 squads, allowing foreign players to be involved.

“This has been the toughest decision I’ve had to make in my rugby career," said Braid.

"I've been with Auckland for eight years and the Blues for six and this is my home. However, I also wanted to experience something new in rugby and to me this is the best of both worlds. I still get to play in this competition but in a different environment with some fresh new challenge."

Braid's decision is a clear signal that he won't be on the end of year tour with the All Blacks certain to look at younger options as the backup to skipper and openside flanker Richie McCaw.

The 27-year-old Braid has been on the New Zealand first-class scene since the start of the decade, making his provincial debut for Auckland in 2001.

He has played more than 78 games for Auckland and 59 matches for the Blues in the Rebel Sport Super 14.

He was first selected for the All Blacks in 2002, the same year he played for the New Zealand Under 21 team, and was picked in the 2003 Rugby World Cup squad the following year.

The New Zealand Player of the Year in 2007, Braid also played for New Zealand Maori and the Junior All Blacks and was called into the All Blacks this year, playing against Australia in Sydney.

New Zealand Rugby Union general manager of professional rugby Neil Sorensen said it was disappointing to lose Braid.

“He is a valued player and we put a lot of work into what we thought was an attractive and flexible package for Daniel but he has opted to head to Australia so we are disappointed to see him go,†he said.

Auckland Rugby and Blues CEO Andy Dalton says Braid’s leadership, experience and rugby talent will be missed from both camps and thanked the highly experienced flanker for his outstanding contribution to Auckland Rugby and the Blues franchise.

“Daniel is an inspirational player and leader both on and off the field. He will be a big loss to us but we understand his reasons for heading offshore and farewell him with sincere best wishes,†said Dalton.[/b]

Surely there are better places to go then Queensland!
The Blues could really struggle next season without his experience!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (allyoop @ Oct 5 2008, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
All Blacks and Auckland flanker Daniel Braid has confirmed he is leaving New Zealand rugby, taking up a two-year deal with the Queensland Reds that will start with next season's Super 14.

Braid crosses the Tasman as one of the first major signings since Australia relaxed the eligibility rules for their Super 14 squads, allowing foreign players to be involved.

“This has been the toughest decision I’ve had to make in my rugby career," said Braid.

"I've been with Auckland for eight years and the Blues for six and this is my home. However, I also wanted to experience something new in rugby and to me this is the best of both worlds. I still get to play in this competition but in a different environment with some fresh new challenge."

Braid's decision is a clear signal that he won't be on the end of year tour with the All Blacks certain to look at younger options as the backup to skipper and openside flanker Richie McCaw.

The 27-year-old Braid has been on the New Zealand first-class scene since the start of the decade, making his provincial debut for Auckland in 2001.

He has played more than 78 games for Auckland and 59 matches for the Blues in the Rebel Sport Super 14.

He was first selected for the All Blacks in 2002, the same year he played for the New Zealand Under 21 team, and was picked in the 2003 Rugby World Cup squad the following year.

The New Zealand Player of the Year in 2007, Braid also played for New Zealand Maori and the Junior All Blacks and was called into the All Blacks this year, playing against Australia in Sydney.

New Zealand Rugby Union general manager of professional rugby Neil Sorensen said it was disappointing to lose Braid.

“He is a valued player and we put a lot of work into what we thought was an attractive and flexible package for Daniel but he has opted to head to Australia so we are disappointed to see him go,†he said.

Auckland Rugby and Blues CEO Andy Dalton says Braid’s leadership, experience and rugby talent will be missed from both camps and thanked the highly experienced flanker for his outstanding contribution to Auckland Rugby and the Blues franchise.

“Daniel is an inspirational player and leader both on and off the field. He will be a big loss to us but we understand his reasons for heading offshore and farewell him with sincere best wishes,†said Dalton.[/b]

Surely there are better places to go then Queensland!
The Blues could really struggle next season without his experience!
[/b][/quote]

Is he still eligible for the All Blacks?
Is he openside? Do you reckon its a good signing for Queensland?

He wont be elligible after this year because only players playing in NZ are elligible. Seeing as he is leaving this might also mean he wont get picked for the end of year tour.

Yea, its a great signing! Due to playing openside he doesnt get much of a chance to play for the All Blacks because of McCaw but he is a class player.

yeah he's a very good player, saw him play a game vs the Chiefs, he knows his job.

I think he can be an added Value to the Reds if he's in good ( without any doubt)

He's very good. One of my fav auckland players! The blues might struggle but Tololima Auva'a has shown promise in his outings this year.

No different from the thousands of kiwis that come to Queensland every year anyhow :p

Interesting backrow now! Ezra Taylor, Leroy Houston and Daniel Braid!

Latest posts