• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bryce Lawrence Nominated for top NZ Ref award

The RWC quarter final was not the match which makes Bryce a bad referee. Yes, South Africa lost to Australia, it sucks and Lawrence had a big influence on that result but that's that. He has been a bad referee because of his inconsistency during other tournaments as well, including the Super 15 this year.

Hahaha, oh you guys bring me so much laughter! I posted this article as I knew only New Zealand fans would go on to defend old Bryce...

I said girl, because to me it's very funny and quite evident that the refereeing area in NZ is not in a good standard as expected. To pick Bryce as one of the 3 Nominees after his poor showing in at least 3 test matches this year, and also getting a 6 month rest period of international matches after the World Cup is evident that he is poor. most of you agreed that he had a bad game in the six nations as well as in the SA/Aus game.

fine, if you want call us Saffas vile and full of crap or 4u(king wankers, we can take it... It's just the Hypocracy some of you are showing which makes me laugh!

But what I don't understand is why you call us SA TRF users vile, and which comments are so degrading as to making such responses by you NZ guys?

This was meant to be a bit of fun and jokes, but clearly you NZ guys have taken it up wrongly...

Nick did not call you vile at all; if you read what he said, he called some of the comments made by South African fans in that article vile. If we actually look at some of those comments you will see that they were vile.

Here are a few:
  • "Once again these dimwit wife bashers trying to rub salt into the wounds of us SA fans!!!Let them rate him as tops,he'll then get to ref some game here in SA"
  • "why would it be a shock everybody knew that new zealand had to have a helping hand with dan carter not being there ."
  • "New Zeeland, it was a shallow victory and now you are making it worse.They are not that good,we would have beaten them,full stop.Lawrence is a cheat and now they are giving accolades to him."
  • "The Kiwi's won the world cup without doing the hard yards. Thank you "Bryce baby" ! ! Should he be selected as "MY MAN THE REF" in silver fern land it will merely confirm the suggestion that our game against the Aussies was the most transparent and public "match fixing" debacle in the history of professional sport>"
The general feeling seems in that article to be that Bryce Lawrence made South Africa lose so New Zealand would not have to face them. Despite the fact that Australia have been better than South Africa over the past few years and that South Africa were poor all tournament. Those comments are defaming and would make me ashamed to be a South African. I do not believe that any country has worse fans than another and many New Zealanders probably reacted in a shameful way in 2007. It isn't the way to carry on. Refs have bad games and Lawrence is a poor ref who had a shocking game. However, to suggest match fixing is at play is just idiotic and to defend people who say that because they are your countrymen isn't that much better.

How can you even be outraged or annoyed by comments on a random website? It's the internet go to a random youtube video of anyone and there will be comments on there 'how f*ckin retarted are you if you disliked this' etc. etc. IMO I just can't believe why you would even respond to this or even look at them. It's all bullshit and most of it most propably is purely to annoy people and get them to write complaints in and waste there time! Ill bet you anything that NZ'ers were raging on some random internet comments thing about 07. It's the internet, it's sad but it is how it is.

Heineken was obviously sort of joking. As his statement 'a girl' shows, Bryce Lawrence is in the same nominations as a girl. It's a sort of humour, guy humour, sports humour whatever. But he should've known by now that most of you NZ guys take your rugby serious and respond and feel offended before asking if it was a bad joke... Then again this could've been exactly what he wanted :p.

On a serious note, Lawrence is obviously bad. I couldn't believe him during some Super matches and I thought he was bad again during the RWC. But seeing he was the only NZ ref in the RWC he's bound to be nominated. If his 6months rest is just a rest or time to acces if he's up to it, I don't know. I hope the latter though.

Hahaha, oh you guys bring me so much laughter! I posted this article as I knew only New Zealand fans would go on to defend old Bryce...

I said girl, because to me it's very funny and quite evident that the refereeing area in NZ is not in a good standard as expected. To pick Bryce as one of the 3 Nominees after his poor showing in at least 3 test matches this year, and also getting a 6 month rest period of international matches after the World Cup is evident that he is poor. most of you agreed that he had a bad game in the six nations as well as in the SA/Aus game.

fine, if you want call us Saffas vile and full of crap or 4u(king wankers, we can take it... It's just the Hypocracy some of you are showing which makes me laugh!

But what I don't understand is why you call us SA TRF users vile, and which comments are so degrading as to making such responses by you NZ guys?

This was meant to be a bit of fun and jokes, but clearly you NZ guys have taken it up wrongly...

OK, so here's a Kiwi (and former referee) who isn't going to jump on and support Bryce Lawrence, He is a shocker, undoubtedly the worst referee at the 2011 RWC.

How this plonker continues to get appointed to top matches in international rugby is quite beyond me. In the quarter final, he gave Pocock carte blanche to do whatever he liked at the breakdown, including blatant handing of the ball right in the Australian goal-line that, IMO, warranted the awarding if a penalty try to South Africa.

Hmmm... New Zealand referees who aren't crap?

Lets start by naming NZ refs regardless their achievements:

Which ones are better than Lawrence? Maybe Pollock

- Vinny Munro
- Chris Pollock

- Garratt Williamson
- Keith Brown
- Jonathan White
- Glen Jackson

I've emphasized the ones I think are better than Lawrence, and added one

If you do have a brain, you'll quickly realise that the "vile SA users" (or whatever words you choose to use), were not the SA TRf users (as you quoted), but the ones on Supersport.

Can you at least admit you were wrong, even once?

The replies here are a real disgrace to South Africa. To suggest that the New Zealand are a nation of cheats and wife-bashers shows just how low you'll all go. New Zealand beat Australia by 20-6! If you guys were clearly that much better than Australia, then a bad ref might've knocked your 14 point winning margin down to something like 4-5 points. Sure there were what looked like bad calls several times in that game, but when SA did have the ball, they sure didn't do much with it.

Try pointing the fingers back at your own old players (there were a few), Steyn being injured, PdV being a useless coach and a few other things instead of blaming us a nation for one mans bad reffing performance. Most New Zealanders wanted South Africa in a semi rather than Australia, as you guys had fight for your lives against Wales and Samoa!

If you guys can go on about this, then you are legitimising New Zealanders blaming being violently ill (which many of our players were however it happened - video shows Jeff Wilson throwing up in a bucket on the side-line during the game) on your "Rainbow Nation Robbery" in 1995. Once again, you guys were still close to being beating by a weakened team!

This thread has some of the most disgusting bile in it I've ever seen and not one South African has been gracious enough to tell the rest to get a life. Says more about you guys than New Zealand.

In the meantime, try actually winning a few more Tri-Nations ***les!

I'll admit if I was wrong, but the bold section suggests that you are talking about the TRF users...

I'll admit if I was wrong, but the bold section suggests that you are talking about the TRF users...

It was a tad confusing, but it quickly became apparent he was talking about the article you yourself posted (as no one mentioned wife beating on this thread).

As Smartcookie mentioned, I'm a big fan of Vinny Munro and Glen Jackson is quickly becoming one of the better referees in NZ. There isn't much depth in the South African refereeing department either. Craig Joubert is fantastic (despite what some people say about the final), but I find some of Kaplan's calls to be the most ludacris and one sided of any referee I've ever seen (Hurricanes v Crusaders in 2010, which Kaplan asks the most convoluted question regarding whether the ball was grounded, when there was no way it could or should have been awarded, and yet it was somehow given for a 26-26 victory after DC missed the conversion). He's easily my least favourite referee, with Dickinson coming a close second.

You were 100% wrong. Why did you deliberately leave this part of my first post in the thread out? You quoted everything but this part.

I was going to post this as a reply, but it seems to want me to log in via my Facebook account. Last thing I want to allow access to my info by a site that allows those kind of replies!

This was what I was going to say.

Then my post began. I obviously showed that it was a Supersport reply of mine that I didn't want to put up there due to the FB log in method.

So? Anything to say?

Even worse, Vinny Munro has been left out of the mix for Super Rugby altogether for 2012.

[TEXTAREA]SANZAR has finalised its referees for Super Rugby 2012 with five new names added to the team.

SANZAR Game Manager: Lyndon Bray has confirmed that Angus Gardner and Andrew Lees (AUS), Mike Fraser (NZ) and Lourens van der Merwe and Stuart Berry (SA) have been selected into the team for the first time.

The newcomers will join a strong line-up of experienced referees on the respective SANZAR Merit and Reserve panels.

“We plan to give our Merit Panel referees around 80% of the games in Super Rugby, next year, with the Reserve Panel picking up the balance. Our aim is for the best referees to be refereeing the most rugby. The Reserve Panel will operate in a similar way to a rugby team’s reserve bench,†explained Bray.

“It is inevitable that we need reserve referees performing in the middle because, like players, referees can suffer from injuries and loss of form. In addition, it is vital that we continue to develop and grow our talent for the future, which cannot be achieved overnight.â€

“The five new referees will gain valuable Super Rugby experience in 2012 and will join three other referees on our Reserve panel. This will help us maintain the growth of our team, with up to five referees potentially leaving the team by the end of next year.â€

Four referees from 2011 will not be involved in the 2012 tournament - Stuart Dickinson has retired, whilst Vinny Munro, Pro Legoete and Nathan Pearce were not selected for 2012.

“Stuart had a very celebrated career in the top flight for many years and he will be sorely missed by our team.

“Knowing that we are likely to lose some more referees from our team next year, it was important to balance the new guys selected for 2012 with some maturity and experience. We believe we have a strong team of referees for Super Rugby 2012 Super Rugby and some new competition will be healthy within our team,†Bray said.

The full SANZAR Referee Team is:

Merit Panel:

Keith Brown (NZ), Marius Jonker (SA), Craig Joubert (SA), Jonathan Kaplan (SA), Bryce Lawrence (NZ), Mark Lawrence (SA), Jaco Peyper (SA), Chris Pollock (NZ), Steve Walsh (AUS) & Garratt Williamson (NZ).

Reserve Panel:

Stuart Berry (SA), Mike Fraser (NZ), Angus Gardner (AUS), Glen Jackson (NZ), Andrew Lees, (AUS) Ian Smith (AUS), Lourens van der Merwe (SA) & Jonathon White (NZ). [/TEXTAREA]

The is no justice when a referee as good as Vinny is left out, and Bryce Lawrence is still there.

To be completely honest, I think Bryce Lawrence has it in him to be a top-class referee, he just had a bad year. I hope he will pick up where he left off. Stu Dickinson already had to deal with this ****, maybe we can just increase the area of which the TMO can rule... It will give some refs a break for a change. The way some refs are being dealt with, it seems to be more and more like football...

Lourens van de Merwe?!?

NOOOoooOOOoOOoOOOoOOO!

Why can't you embed YouTube stuff on the iPad?

Last edited:
You were 100% wrong. Why did you deliberately leave this part of my first post in the thread out? You quoted everything but this part.

I was going to post this as a reply, but it seems to want me to log in via my Facebook account. Last thing I want to allow access to my info by a site that allows those kind of replies!

This was what I was going to say.

Then my post began. I obviously showed that it was a Supersport reply of mine that I didn't want to put up there due to the FB log in method.

So? Anything to say?

In all fairness, I didn't see it that it had relevance to the second paragraph of your first post, the way I saw it, was that you made a statement that you didn't want to post anything at the time because it would have been linked to your facebook account. Nothing about the TRF users or supersport, so that's why I deliberately left it out, as in my view it had no substance on the issue.

I posted the thread so that you guys could read the article, and then i added some funny comments on the article. Sooooo fu(king sorry that you NZ guys took it so damn personal and threw your toys out of your pram. That was never my intention, and for a moderator to take it so personal, just makes me realise that you are also just human with feelings. that being said, this forum is to talk about Rugby and I express my views on things that is of interest to me... If you haven't by now realised that I like to add comedy to my posts, I suggest you read through some of my posts and get a sense of humour.

Once again, my humble apologies to all of New Zealand for making you feel degraded in some sort of way. (See, was that so hard?? @Bryce Lawrence)

In all fairness, I didn't see it that it had relevance to the second paragraph of your first post, the way I saw it, was that you made a statement that you didn't want to post anything at the time because it would have been linked to your facebook account. Nothing about the TRF users or supersport, so that's why I deliberately left it out, as in my view it had no substance on the issue.

It definitely had substance "on the issue" as you put it. The link you provided was not one I wanted to reply to on the site due to circumstances. My post was entirely to state what I was about to post on Supersport (about the Supersport respondents), but due to their system I did not wish to. I had it all typed out, and then saw how they chose to run their system. My post here was to show what I wanted to say to the respondents of that article. It had relevance because you posted that article and that article was obviously for commenting on.

I posted the thread so that you guys could read the article, and then i added some funny comments on the article. Sooooo fu(king sorry that you NZ guys took it so damn personal and threw your toys out of your pram. That was never my intention, and for a moderator to take it so personal, just makes me realise that you are also just human with feelings. that being said, this forum is to talk about Rugby and I express my views on things that is of interest to me... If you haven't by now realised that I like to add comedy to my posts, I suggest you read through some of my posts and get a sense of humour.

All you've done here is point the finger at New Zealanders for their response to the inflammatory contents of a link you provided. Your apology rings false as it's laced with sarcasm. I'm glad that you realise that as a moderator that I'm human with feelings. I would've thought that was just basic common sense, but if it wasn't known, then I'm glad it is now. Whilst I work on my sense of humour, maybe you could work on your "comedy".

Once again, my humble apologies to all of New Zealand for making you feel degraded in some sort of way. (See, was that so hard?? @Bryce Lawrence)

Humble? I'd say it fell into a more begrudging context.

Myself being a moderator has nothing to do with this discussion. I've taken nothing here personally, as at this point there hasn't been a personal attack. Merely the ironic suggestion that I should get a sense of humour.

Heineken,

All you have achieved with your supposed "joke" post is make YOUR OWN Nation's fans look like complete and utter arrogant tools.

Last edited:
Heineken,

All you have achieved with your supposed "joke" post is make YOUR OWN Nation's fans look like complete and utter arrogant tools.

I have to agree but I have no doubt AB's fans were just as venomous over Wayne Barnes I guess idiocy is a by-product of losing for some supporters.

What does confuse me though is why so many South Africans believe the Boks had a chance at this tournament given that they have been horribly off form for the last 2 years, I have no doubt that they will be back (although I doubt it will be under PDV so as a Kiwi I hope he will be reappointed) but this was never going to be SA's world cup and I think you will find that most Kiwi's believed Australia was the greatest threat.

Last edited:
I have to agree but I have no doubt AB's fans were just as venomous over Wayne Barnes I guess idiocy is a by-product of losing for some supporters.

What does confuse me though is why so many South Africans believe the Boks had a chance at this tournament given that they have been horribly off form for the last 2 years, I have no doubt that they will be back (although I doubt it will be under PDV so as a Kiwi I hope he will be reappointed) but this was never going to be SA's world cup and I think you will find that most Kiwi's believed Australia was the greatest threat.

I have to agree that as a nation our fans were pretty sore and spent a lot of time blaming Barnes and the way the game was interpreted. It was at times quite poor and in some instances pathetic.

Still, I don't however remember anyone going so low (on any forum, unless the endless trash-talking rubbish on You Tube is somehow counted) calling the nation that won the tournament a nation of wife-beaters, that England rigged the referee against us so that they'd get through to the final and calling the tournament winners a nation of cheats due to one ref's calls in our quarter-final.

The level of gutter abuse on that page is close to unparralleled and anyone who had any true national pride for the dignity of their nation wouldn't participate in it. It just looks really bad.

Almost everything printed on that Supersport page (below the article) is an embarrassment to a South Africa that no doubt has more than it's share of fair-minded, easy going and gracious people. How they must feel when they read some of that tripe.

Nah, the best conspiracy theory has got to be that Chief Paddy and the NZRU arranged with the makers of the tournament ball to sabotage it so that goal kicking in the tournament would be very poor.

Hence, because New Zealand score a lot of tries, no one could compete with them!

And that is from a Scottish forum :eek:

Most people have calmed down, especially that rugby season is over, just the nutters that carry on. However I think it would be a really, REALLY bad idea if Bryce came over and reffed a game here, not any time soon at least.

First of all, it's not a SuperSport page, it's a News24 page.

Secondly, this is why I don't like News24, because they have a particularly negative user base and they always do this kind of ****, insults and the like. All of them are a bunch of media whores.

Obviously heineken posted it on here to stir a bit, wasn't in the best taste but I'd doubt anybody's sense of humour who actually likes Jeff Dunham's puppet routine.

Every nations has those fans who spew this kind of crap and its a worrying sign that this is becoming a trend in rugby all over the world. I mean in 2007 Barnes was getting death threats for goodness sake. 2011 has been particularly bad. Players and fans alike have been at refs. This ref bashing needs to stop.

Look... Bryce Lawrence had a massive impact on the game, of that I have no doubt. I was angry too. I got over it. Most of SA got over it, we had a Currie Cup going on.
Yet this extremist pocket of fans carried on with the stir like this one fake article from The Australian (newspaper) and all those edited pics. Honestly, get a life. These are the same fans that only rock up when a WC is on when there is a focus on rugby. I HATE fair weather fans but they add to rugby's coffers so I just have to deal with them.

I personally saw this article on News24 and didn't read it cause I knew exactly that it was gonna bash Lawrence. I believe in voting with clicks when it comes to news websites. If I see something I don't like/support or whatever I don't click, and I urged other people to do the same. The media puts these articles up because it gets those all important clicks. If these weren't so well read and responded to then they wouldn't put them up. But no, this particular article got lots of clicks, and some people from NZ even made the effort to register with them to post a comment. Score.

Look at the bigger picture people! Does getting all emotional and resentful about one guys calling NZ'ers wife beaters really matter to you? C'mon guys, lets not bring this kind of negativity here.

Last edited:

Latest posts