• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Can England retain the World Cup?

Being predominantly a fan of a tier two nation, I'm hoping that all scorelines are going to be a lot closer. Gaps between the bottom countries and the top countries in the world cup are huge. It would be nice to see a world cup where it's not just eight countries simply outclassing everyone else.

sure but we can also win this wc 'cause we're playing at home at it helps quite a few ... i've seen it during the soccer wc in france in 98. it would be great to have a france nz in final !!! we deserve that web elis cup quite as much as you. we've always been at least in the semis (except 91 and 95) whereas you've already won in !!! so it would not be unfair if we get it this time.
rugby is also growing up in france and it is coming to be a major sport. we've got the world record for a single league match of any sport ! it was stade francais-biarritz or toulouse i don't remember in a top 14 match last year and something like 79000 persons in the stade de france (stadium of the 2007 wc final).
[/b]

***us, France played the semis in '95. Don't you remember the semi played versus SA. Benazzi failing to touch down by a few centimeters with all the angels of heaven ******* on the stadium this day?
[/b]

hum i thought we had done another semi but i couldn't remember if it was in 91 or 95 sorry !!!

for the other nations, pacific islands are getting closer to top level at every wc. fidji gave us a lot of problems in the first match of the last wc (or was it the 99 ?). for sure countries from africa are not good at the moment, but if it does as soccer, they could be competitiv in the next years ; well i hope so

sure but we can also win this wc 'cause we're playing at home at it helps quite a few ... i've seen it during the soccer wc in france in 98. it would be great to have a france nz in final !!! we deserve that web elis cup quite as much as you. we've always been at least in the semis (except 91 and 95) whereas you've already won in !!! so it would not be unfair if we get it this time.
rugby is also growing up in france and it is coming to be a major sport. we've got the world record for a single league match of any sport ! it was stade francais-biarritz or toulouse i don't remember in a top 14 match last year and something like 79000 persons in the stade de france (stadium of the 2007 wc final).
[/b]

***us, France played the semis in '95. Don't you remember the semi played versus SA. Benazzi failing to touch down by a few centimeters with all the angels of heaven ******* on the stadium this day?
[/b]

i was not interested in rugby at that time so i could not remember it ... i've discovered rugby with jonah lomu rugby on ps1 !!! it was after the 95 wc

Destination France, it's going to be a cracker no doubt about it! You'd fancy France reaching the final because of home ground advantage and of what the fans would want them to achieve. The Allblacks are the only side gelling together at this stage of the moment, the only problem is now that they are proving themselves worthy of a second Webb-Ellis they aren't that unpredictable any more...unlike Australia. Australia went into the 03 World Cup as hopeless cases came out losing to England in the final after they beat the mighty Allblacks.

Australia: I like their chances, they are struggling on the front five, but in the back department, Larkham still reigns as king in the flyhalf department, Carter is good but Larkham's vision is priceless. Latham is a key player along with Rogers who can just about play anywhere. They have good players in Smith and Elsom and the expierence of Gregan and Mortlock. I predict them to reach atleast the Semi-final

Argentina: Still struggling to get that place in the six nations, well a good solid placing in the World Cup could just change that, they showed when the defeated England at Twickers that they are willing enough to play with the big boys, Pichot, Contopomi are for me the key players, quarter finals atleast for them.

England: Andy Robison???? Seven defeats in a row England's worse in what 135 years of their rugby history. Well they can only improve, but in 12 months time, it is asking the impossible, it is almost like a disease has creeped in to the English rugby, they have some good players, Cohen, Cory plays good but not as captain...Hodgen is doing okay but he needs to wake-up, I hope that England do reach the final after all you'd like the defending champions to be in the final defending their coveted trophy, but for now atleast they'll make the quarters

France: Home ground, fans and passion to go along with the French flair, Pelous's french army might have the key, many rugby fans suggest they are the only side to have a chance of winning the world cup besides New Zealand, Jazion is a great talent, Domonici won't die but like the French they are almost in the context of a Brazilian soccer side so unpredictable, I think they'll make the semi finals

Ireland: Come the day and come the hour, come the power and the glory...O'Driscoll's men gave the Allblacks a run for their money in the start of the 06 season, they are triple crown champions, expierence of plenty....quarter finals for the Irish awaits

New Zealand: King Henry? Rugby World Cup is a funny department, we have seen some funny things happen before, and well if it has to go by then Henry you might be on the losing your job department, afterall that is what happened to Mitchell, he groumed this awesome Allblack side only to lose to the Wallabies in the semi's, the NZ's all called for his head...what makes everybody think otherwise? Macaw is grear, Carter is the man, they play fast, counter attacking rugby and if you want to beat them you gotta get the tackles right shift them off the ball, play them in their half, and get into their faces, even if it includes a yellow card and rattle the hell out of Carter.....Allblacks to reach final

South Africa: Have you ever heard of the Dutch Soccer side? They have all said that the Netherlands has the best side but can't win the World Cup and South Africa falls under that same department, they have some awesome indivudual talent, the best tight five in the world, the best lineout jumpers in the world, a loose trio worthy of trashing any attack...the only problem it's a nation divided at the moment, the only thing that will make South Africans believe in their sport will only be by lifting that Trophy for a second time, and believe me don't ever write of the Springboks, they are afterall the only side to have beaten the Allblacks and I just have this funny feeling that Jake White still has to play his hand coming RWC07'....final against Allblacks.

Wales: The last team to make up the quarter finals, a 29-29 draw with Australia a good solid win over the Islanders, The Welsh do have good side but not ones who could compete against the Tricolos, Bokke, Allblacks and Wallabies.....quarter finals atleast

"It feels like we're having the time of our lifes"

<div class='quotemain'>
I live on planet reality, there were problems emerging during the tri nations, gradually the performances were getting worse, and this was a case that, I think NZ have a similar problem as England, in which they dont know there best team... I know all you all black fan boys are gonna go off on one about this... but England have a HUGE amount of talent and depth, as much as the all blacks, but the problem for you guys down there is you dont hear alot about these players, its only like us not knowing the depths of your squads...

We are talking about the All Blacks right. They have off days and still kick every1 else's arse with the most winningness record against any country. Ten years time when pros take hold we might struggle then, but for now, ABs eat every other rugby playing nation for breakfast with enough room for rotations.[/b]

So why havent you won every world cup and every game in which you play in... The problem with some NZer's is that they are too up the All Blacks arse that they cant see the bigger picture of the world rugby scene... Teams like France, Ireland, England are still serious contenders for the Rugby World Cup, but this is being over looked cos you all expect the all blacks just to turn up... look at Brazil at the Football World Cup, probably the most talented team to play at the Football World Cup, everyone thought they needed to just turn up and it was their trophy, but they never did the team which everyone considered potential contenders did win...

The key to winning the World Cup will be the Team that is clicks and starts to win when the world cup begins... and if they have the hunger to win the competion, they could lose all their warmup games but have decent performances in the games during the warmup, will boost their confidence still...

So stop talking about the All blacks just having to turn up to win a game of rugby...
[/b]

that's exactly what i've been saying for many weeks : ABs self confidence is their major strengh and weakness. too much of it will lead them to disaster, 'cause too much of self confidence is called (you all love that word when you talk about france) arrogance !!!
humility reminds THE only way to sucess. look at england during the last wc, they didn't say they had the srtongest front row in the world (even if they had it). that's why AB always have a off match durig the wc and get eliminated, 'cause they INCONSCIOUSLY think they are much better than everybody, specially NH teams, and it leads them to do **** matches ... like france 99' (btw my best rememberance or souvenir of rugby)!!!

and we didn't speak of the giant rats 'cause they always are expected to reach semis !!! and it always happens :) they are not too confident as the AB. you must have confidence in your own possibilities, in what you
CAN do. AB fans think they can score 40 pts to every team, which is totally wrong !!!
[/b][/quote]
Care to revise your statement?

and lol at Getofmeland.... just plain LOL.

As England don't have a prayer of retaining the world cup...I'm just going to don my Lions shirt and support everyone!

When I'm around, Rugby wins!

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
I live on planet reality, there were problems emerging during the tri nations, gradually the performances were getting worse, and this was a case that, I think NZ have a similar problem as England, in which they dont know there best team... I know all you all black fan boys are gonna go off on one about this... but England have a HUGE amount of talent and depth, as much as the all blacks, but the problem for you guys down there is you dont hear alot about these players, its only like us not knowing the depths of your squads...

We are talking about the All Blacks right. They have off days and still kick every1 else's arse with the most winningness record against any country. Ten years time when pros take hold we might struggle then, but for now, ABs eat every other rugby playing nation for breakfast with enough room for rotations.[/b]

So why havent you won every world cup and every game in which you play in... The problem with some NZer's is that they are too up the All Blacks arse that they cant see the bigger picture of the world rugby scene... Teams like France, Ireland, England are still serious contenders for the Rugby World Cup, but this is being over looked cos you all expect the all blacks just to turn up... look at Brazil at the Football World Cup, probably the most talented team to play at the Football World Cup, everyone thought they needed to just turn up and it was their trophy, but they never did the team which everyone considered potential contenders did win...

The key to winning the World Cup will be the Team that is clicks and starts to win when the world cup begins... and if they have the hunger to win the competion, they could lose all their warmup games but have decent performances in the games during the warmup, will boost their confidence still...

So stop talking about the All blacks just having to turn up to win a game of rugby...
[/b]

that's exactly what i've been saying for many weeks : ABs self confidence is their major strengh and weakness. too much of it will lead them to disaster, 'cause too much of self confidence is called (you all love that word when you talk about france) arrogance !!!
humility reminds THE only way to sucess. look at england during the last wc, they didn't say they had the srtongest front row in the world (even if they had it). that's why AB always have a off match durig the wc and get eliminated, 'cause they INCONSCIOUSLY think they are much better than everybody, specially NH teams, and it leads them to do **** matches ... like france 99' (btw my best rememberance or souvenir of rugby)!!!

and we didn't speak of the giant rats 'cause they always are expected to reach semis !!! and it always happens :) they are not too confident as the AB. you must have confidence in your own possibilities, in what you
CAN do. AB fans think they can score 40 pts to every team, which is totally wrong !!!
[/b][/quote]
Care to revise your statement?

and lol at Getofmeland.... just plain LOL. [/b][/quote]

All I say to you is wait and see.... Still plenty of time to go till the Rugby World Cup, all it takes is an injury or something else happening and that can disrupt a whole team... The Favourites dont always win!!!

New Zealand beat France by 40-odd points...i know the kiwis are chokers at world cups and i know the favourites pretty much never win, but you have to admit, the All Blacks are looking to have a great chance.

I'm going to (again) go with a BIG NO. If I was a Kiwi, I'd be doing this right now:
:bana:
New Zealand seem to be light years ahead of everyone.

It is kind of Hakka-esque I suppose

:bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana:

"BANANA! BANANA! KA ORA! KA ORA!"

(no offence intended to the Maori by the way)

haha england supporters you must be so gutted about your rugby team!! I f the all blacks dont take this cup out it will feel worse than the 1999 loss to france

To be fair ripper, I think in 2003 Northern Hemisphere fans (not just in England) were probabbly on forums saying:

haha All Black supporters you must be so gutted about your rugby team!! I f the england dont take this cup out it will feel worse than the 1995 loss to the springboks!!!!!!111![/b]

It is like a spasticated and retarded version of karma, it all balances out eventually :)

It does bode well for the ABs though...remember England going to NZ and Oz and battering them in their own backyards in the lead up to the world cup? People say that England peaked just at the right time for that tournament but I reckon they were a better side when they were mauling 40 yards in Melbourne or defending their own line with 13 men in Wellington.

Latest posts