Teh Mite

TRF Legend
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
http://www.guinnesspremiership.com/rugby/13729.php

London Wasps Club Captain Tom Rees has signed a two year extension on his current contract that will keep him in black and gold until the end of the 2012/13 season. His commitment to his one and only Club is a huge boost for Wasps, who retain the services of not only a great player but a great leader both on and off the pitch.

A product of the London Wasps Academy, the 25-year-old established himself in the senior Wasps team throughout the 2004/05 season. Since then he has won two Premiership ***les, a Heineken Cup and Powergen Cup. In 2009/10 he celebrated his 100th senior Wasps appearance in the St George's Day Game at Twickenham, and for Rees, the milestone rounded off a tough season which highlighted his dedication, hard work and desire, coming back from two shoulder operations that kept him sidelined for much of the season.

On the international scene he has shone through the representative age grades, appearing at seven levels, captaining the under 21s and travelling to Dubai, George, Wellington, Los Angeles and Singapore with Sevens. He made his England A debut as a replacement against Ireland A and, after three Test calls off the bench, he celebrated his first start with the man of the match award in the 26-18 defeat of France at Twickenham in 2007. Since then he has won 15 caps, including a place in the 2007 Rugby World Cup squad. He cemented his reputation on the world rugby stage during the 2008 tour to New Zealand with impressive performances against All Blacks opponent Richie McCaw and is widely tipped as a future leader of the national team.

His leadership qualities have not gone unnoticed on the domestic stage either, named as Wasps' Club Captain before the start of the 2009/10 campaign, Rees is a player respected by not only his own team mates but widely across the game. Despite injury limiting his playing time this season, his leadership and dedication have been evident behind the scenes throughout his rehabilitation, and he was recently honoured for his tireless efforts with young aspiring Wasps when he was named as the Community Player of the Season at the 2010 London Wasps Awards.

Looking ahead to the 2010/11 season Rees has, inline with the Wasps and England medical teams, made the decision not to tour with the England Saxons but rather stay at the Club and continue strengthening his shoulder to ensure he can challenge for honours on the domestic and international stage next season.

On the news, Wasps Director of Rugby Tony Hanks said, "Tom is a player who embodies what Wasps is about. He has been raised through the Academy system to become one of the highly regarded and respected English players in our squad and on the wider rugby circuit. His dedication, passion and effort have never been more evident than throughout what has been a hugely challenging 2009/10 season for him. To come through two shoulder surgeries and periods of lengthy rehabilitation to lead the team in some of the crucial last round fixtures is admirable. He not only got back to fitness but demonstrated in those games why he is an asset to any squad or set up. Tom is a player who I believe has a great future in the international game and as a Club we continue to support the development and promotion of our players, backed with financial incentives rather than penalties to push for Elite EPS selection. Whilst much of the talk at this time of the season is centered on new signings, retention of high quality players like Tom has been hugely important to us and to the Club's future."

Tom Rees added, "I was pleased to be approached by the Club to extend my contract further because I enjoy everything that goes with being a Wasps player. We have a great squad, coaching team and group of fans and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I enjoyed great success as a young player but my challenge now is to drive that success as a senior player and as a captain. We were bitterly disappointed not to reach the playoffs this season but we have undoubtedly improved on last year, climbing the table and ensuring Heineken Cup qualification. This squad is very proud of the history of the Club, but players join Wasps to win and we are all focused on silverware next season - something I believe we are capable of. Having come through a difficult season with injury, the support of everyone at the Club was fantastic and just further cements that 'Wasps family' that we all talk about. I am really pleased that I will continue to be a part of the Club for the next three seasons."

If he'd kept on going from the form he was in 2007/8, without getting injured, he would be at the front of the queue to captain England. And Lewis Moody/ Joe Worsley's names wouldn't have benn heard for years. Shame.

Latest posts