Cardiff Blues v Northampton Saints
Cardiff City Stadium
Cardiff, Wales
Sun Dec 19 2010
at 15:00 (local)​

Jamie Roberts set to boost Cardiff Blues against Saints

HEINEKEN CUP POOL ONE
Venue: Cardiff City Stadium Date: Sunday, 19 December Kick-off: 1500 GMT
Coverage: Full commentary on BBC Radio Wales, BBC Radio Northampton and online, score updates on BBC Radio 5 Live and BBC Sport website
_50442634_jamieroberts.jpg

Centre Jamie Roberts is set to play for the Blues after five months injured

Jamie Roberts is set to return to the Cardiff Blues squad for their must-win Heineken Cup Pool One clash at home to Northampton Saints on Sunday.
The British and Irish Lions centre missed last week's 23-15 loss at Saints with the wrist injury that has seen him sidelined for the past five months.
But Blues boss Dai Young has concerns over Tom Shanklin and T Rhys Thomas.
Centre Shanklin is doubtful with a minor knee injury, while hooker Thomas is fit after injury but has flu.
Blues director of rugby Young is delighted to have Roberts available again: "He's a quality player, we've seen that not only playing for the Blues but obviously Wales and the Lions.
"So when the quality players become available... they're always going to help you to that different level.
"He's full of excitement now and full of energy, he's had a bit of a break because he played a lot of rugby up until his injury so I'm sure he's just biting at the bit to get back out there.
"Everybody knows what Jamie's going to bring: he's going to bring that physicality round the corner and he's going to give you that go-forward, and obviously he's still go those distribution skills to play the game wide."
The Blues are still likely to be without Wales pair Leigh Halfpenny and Deiniol Jones, plus full-back Ben Blair.
But Richard Mustoe, Maama Molitika, Gethin Jenkins, Gareth Williams and Michael Paterson are all set to be available despite picking up knocks last weekend.
The Blues' forward effort misfired badly at Franklin's Gardens, with the line-out and scrum creaking badly under Northampton pressure.
The line-out has got to be put right, we have got to make sure we are accurate," said Young.
"The scrum's going to be a battle once again next week so we've got to keep working on it."
Northampton top Pool One at the halfway stage on 12 points, with Castres second on nine, the Blues on five points and Edinburgh trailing on three.
Cardiff Blues: tbc.
Northampton Saints: tbc.
Referee: Jerome Garces (France).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/my_club/cardiff_blues/9290037.stm

Their is no way that they can start Roberts. If they do then they should pull him pretty early. The guy has been out for 5 months and tossing him into a HC game is a big step. I don't doubt that he could possible step up and play great, I just think that it is far better to have him as a sub if anything.

Their is no way that they can start Roberts. If they do then they should pull him pretty early. The guy has been out for 5 months and tossing him into a HC game is a big step. I don't doubt that he could possible step up and play great, I just think that it is far better to have him as a sub if anything.

I'd be inclined to agree (and not just because he's the only member of the Blues squad who worries me), however being as Thomas has the knee injury I imagine Youngs' hand has been forced.

I'd be inclined to agree (and not just because he's the only member of the Blues squad who worries me), however being as Thomas has the knee injury I imagine Youngs' hand has been forced.

Its Tomos actually ;)

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/13dxJpSlAF4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;hd=1&amp;color1=0x2b405b&amp;color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/13dxJpSlAF4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;hd=1&amp;color1=0x2b405b&amp;color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

I'd be inclined to start him if Shanklin is out. Roberts has had a wrist injury which means he'd have kept his fitness up, and we all know just how naturally fit and strong the lad is. Put him back alongside Laulala and hopefully we'll see them carve Northampton to pieces. At the end of last season, those two together were phenomenal, and as the Blues have to win this game, he's who you want at centre. If he doesn't last the distance, Hewitt has been playing quite well. I think the Blues have to start well in this game, the Northampton pack are too good for the Blues to try and come from behind later on in the game.

If anyone can come back from 5 months on the sidelines and play a full 80, I'd back Roberts. The man played on for however long it was with a fractured skull against Aus for heavens sake!

Ya, I think Roberts can play the full 80. I guess it will come down to if the Blues want to make a run for the HC or if they have already switched back to the Magners.

So I guess they will start him, but it could still blow up in their faces.

Northampton Saints director of rugby Jim Mallinder says fly-half Stephen Myler should be considered for England.
The 26-year-old, who won the Churchill Cup in June with the Saxons, has scored 111 points for Saints this season.
Mallinder told BBC Look East: "I think he has the potential to get into a World Cup squad, without a doubt.
"He's been playing some really good rugby and probably some of the best rugby of his career. There aren't many English fly-halves doing that."
Myler faces competition from Toby Flood, Jonny Wilkinson and Charlie Hodgson for the fly-half berth at the 2011 World Cup.
"We want fly-halves to control the game, and to have a sound kicking game from hand and from the ground," said Mallinder, whose side are six points clear at the top of the Premiership.
<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="231"> <tbody><tr> <td width="5">
o.gif
</td> <td class="sibStdQuote"> Shane Geraghty wants to play, but he's one of a number of players in that position

Jim Mallinder

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> "He's got to be good in attack, with good distribution, and attack the line at the right rimes, and be strong in defence.
"At the weekend [against Cardiff Blues], we saw Stephen doing all those jobs really well."
Mallinder admits Myler's form has helped make it a frustrating time for Shane Geraghty, who finds himself second choice at Saints at present.
"He wants to play, but he's one of a number of players in that position," Mallinder said of Geraghty, 24, who has six international caps for England.
"Joe Ansbro was playing for Scotland [in the autumn internationals] but he was on the bench last week.
"There will be some people happy to be here and part of a winning team, and some who want to playing every week.
"I know Shane Geraghty is happy here at the moment, and he's determined to get in the team. He has to keep practising and when he's got that opportunity, he's got to make sure he sparkles, and then he's got a chance of starting."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/my_club/northampton/9296150.stm

Got a point, if Myler can be more consistent in his performances he should definately be in there, either at 10 or 21

NORTHAMPTON SAINTS TEAM TO PLAY CARDIFF BLUES
Heineken Cup Round 4
Cardiff City Stadium
Sunday, December 19th, 2010
Kick off 3:00pm
15 Ben Foden
14 Chris Ashton
13 Jon Clarke
12 James Downey
11 Paul Diggin
10 Stephen Myler
9 Ryan Powell
1 Soane Tonga'uiha
2 Dylan Hartley (capt)
3 Brian Mujati
4 Courtney Lawes
5 Christian Day
6 Phil Dowson
7 Tom Wood
8 Roger Wilson

Replacements
16 Brett Sharman
17 Regardt Dreyer
18 Alex Waller
19 Mark Sorenson
20 Calum Clark
21 Lee Dickson
22 Shane Geraghty
23 Joe Ansbro

Wales Online. Worthy of its reputation for it's balanced and unbiased opinions. I didn't realise the Blues, Ospreys and Scarlerts are actually the best 3 sides in Europe (and Newport a close 5th) when it's only referees who screw them...:rolleyes:

Wales Online. Worthy of its reputation for it's balanced and unbiased opinions. I didn't realise the Blues, Ospreys and Scarlerts are actually the best 3 sides in Europe (and Newport a close 5th) when it's only referees who screw them...:rolleyes:

Pity it never says that anywhere <_<

Gwyn Jones is an honest bloke, Western Mail is a pile of rubbish the only columnist ever worth reading is that of Gwyn Jones. Take it or leave it, he gives an honest assessment.

Dont think we were robbed last week, lost to the better team but everything else he says is true.

Last edited:
Yeh, one of the best pundits out there. And I agree with all of his article, although I don't think the Blues were 'robbed' or anything because of it. The Ospreys on the other hand, have good reason to be miffed. And the reffing in the Dragons v Wasps game was simply appalling. They deserved to win, and were litteraly robbed of that game.

Roberts on the bench:

Cardiff Blues:
15. C Czekaj,
14. R Mustoe,
13. C Laulala,
12. T Shanklin,
11. T James,
10. D Parks,
9. R Rees,
1. G Jenkins,
2. G Williams,
3. F Filise,
4. B Davies,
5. P ***o (c),
6. M Molitika,
7. M Williams,
8. X Rush.
Replacements: R Williams, S Hobbs, J Yapp, M Paterson, S Warburton, T Slater, C Sweeney, J Roberts

I think it is smart to have Roberts on the bench, he has the ability to make a big impact in the game if he come off the bench.

Smarter then chucking him in at the deep end. Then again, that's 60ish minutes of the same backline never looking like scoring if things go as they did last week - If Saints bother to get out of 2nd gear this week and Cardiff don't, the game could be over by that point.

Edging my bets on a 4-0 away win here.

Latest posts