Championship Round Up - Round 1

Getofmeland

The Dorset Drinker
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bath
This weekend saw the return of Domestic Rugby after the Summer Break, with both the Premiership and The Championship kicking off this weekend, we saw hot favourites for promotion Bristol travel to Doncaster for their first game of the campaign, Newly Relegated side Leeds hosting London Welsh and Newly promoted London Scottish take on Rotherham ***ans.

After the success of The Championship over the last 2 seasons, the exposure of the league has grown and the depth of Rugby as well, with the potential for several teams to be battling for the league and the chance for promotion into the Premiership. Last year's Play-off finalists Cornish Pirates started their season off with a trip to Moseley, having started the match well, the Pirates were in control at half time, but Mosely struck back in the second half and ended up repeating the result from last season with a 27-27 Draw.

Championship new boys London Scottish, got their campaign under way against the Rotherham ***ans, Scottish with the smallest pack in the Championship, took an early lead with two early converted penalties which seemed to catch the ***ans off guard. The ***ans soon upped their game and ended up taking the lead at half time, however a couple of sin binning's for the Rotherham forwards, saw Scottish take advantage winning the game 16 - 11.

Newly Relegated Leeds hosted London Welsh, after a great season last year Welsh will be looking to build on their Play-Off Semi Final success. With Leeds being favourites to bounce straight back up, it was key for them to get off to a winning start. Welsh stormed to a 3 - 13 lead at half time shocking their hosts, after half time they added a further 13 points lead with Leeds replying with an additional 3. However Leeds fought back in the final 5 minutes with Burrows going over, Welsh saw replacement Brown hit the bin in the dying moments, but they managed to hold on despite a final Leeds surge, the game ended up with Welsh winning 13 - 26.

Promotion favourites Bristol started their season off with a 5 Try rout over Doncaster. Bristol started off strong against Doncaster, nearly getting an early try, only to be punished for not recycling possession which allowed Doncaster to clear their lines. Bristol soon took advantage of the open space and by half time Bristol were leading 3 - 14 with two converted tries in the bag. After half time Bristol tried to take further advantage, nearly scoring early on from a quick penalty, only for the opportunity to go wasted. Doncaster soon enjoyed a bit of pressure themselves, kicking a couple of penalties to reduce Bristol's lead, however it wasn't long until Bristol upped the pressure and got another try to take their lead to 9 - 24. Rotherham struggled to break down the Bristol defence before converting another penalty to close the gap again. Bristol sealed their victory with 2 late tries and got their season off to a great start. Final Score: Rotherham 12 - 38 Bristol.

Other results from the weekend were:

Nottingham 26 - 28 Bedford
Plymouth Albion 22 - 11 Esher

Next weekend sees the following fixtures:

Cornish Pirates v Doncaster Knights
Esher Rugby v Bedford Blues
London Welsh v Plymouth Albion
Rotherham ***ans v Leeds Carnegie
Bristol Rugby v London Scottish
Moseley v Nottingham Rugby

Nice article Getofmeland, I'll be tuning in weekly if that's your intention to cover it ever Sunday night... have a soft spot for the lesser teams that feature in the Championship so a nice one post round-up suits me grand.

Nice post, cheers.

Thanks mate, if this has a good following I will continue to do it, when time permits etc.

Aye, good write up

I don't know who to follow in the RFU with Birmingham Bees relegated - Nottingham and Moseley are about the same distance away, think I'll follow those two :p

Good to see Moseley get a draw against the Pirates! Would've expected them to get done over

Would love to see frequent write ups about the goings on in the Championship. Lots of tier two nations have their players plying their trade over there.

Me, I support the Plymouth Albion (with Canadian internationals Aaron Carpenter, Tyler Hotson, and Sean-Michael Stephen).

Yeah good stuff. Keep them coming. I enjoy this league when it is televised. I'm hoping to nip over the Severn to see a Championship/Bristol match.

Plan to write review tomorrow night guys... so keep eyes peeled for it...

Latest posts