• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Cup 23/24

The kids rolled out for this one..

Newcastle Falcons v Caldy (Sunday, 2.15pm, Kingston Park)

15 Louis Brown, 14 Zach Kerr, 13 Oliver Spencer, 12 Cameron Hutchison, 11 Iwan Stephens, 10 Louie Johnson, 9 Ben Douglas; 1 Adam Brocklebank, 2 Ollie Fletcher, 3 Mark Tampin, 4 John Kelly, 5 Kiran McDonald, 6 Marcus Tiffen, 7 Josh Bainbridge, 8 Sam Cross (captain).

Replacements: 16 Michael van Vuuren, 17 Mark Dormer, 18 Sam Clark, 19 Finn Baker, 20 Ollie Leatherbarrow, 21 Max Pepper, 22 Josh Thomas, 23 George Wacokecoke

64-0 vs Ampthill

Doesn't really say anything about the season to come, but minutes in the legs and good to get some kicking into RdP, who has apparently been suffering with a leg injury all of the off/pre-season

is Rusi Tuima viewed as a lock now for Chiefs?
Seems that way, was talking briefly about this on the Chiefs thread. Hope it goes well as he could be a good 'THL'(if thats a thing). By all accounts he's playing well.

Honestly we do have a few promising back rows coming through and when have chiefs ever cared about positions. Was Ewers a 6 ot Simmonds an 8 or Vermeulen a 7 for that matter. Tshiunza will prob fill the lock role in the lineout

Also looking at the teams this will be a very good test for this Chiefs team as Bath have gone full strength. See how well the rebuild is going.

Bath 34 - 14 Exeter.

Sounds like Bath secured the TBP before half time, then took foot off the gas.

Even Prem Vs Prem I don't like to see many 1st XV players from either team.

Bath 34 - 14 Exeter.

Sounds like Bath secured the TBP before half time, then took foot off the gas.

Even Prem Vs Prem I don't like to see many 1st XV players from either team.
From watching the Highlights(only) it seems alot of Chiefs issues were defensive positioning and getting back in defensive shape quick enough. Because of these issues they were getting caught out way to easy, no issue with physicality but it doesnt matter if you get beat by a simple offload.

I didnt see anything on the attack really so cant comment.

The thing is everyone's gonna look at this game and go "oh silly Steve for not picking Mercer."

But he hasn't been performing like this for Gloucester before today. It's all well and good performing once you've had a firecracker shoved up your ass but he should have been performing like this anyway.

I don't want to take the shine off a good performance, but let's be honest ripping up against a second string Chiefs side in the Premiership Cup isn't really making that much of a statement.

It was Mercer who said he was 'done with England for now' not vice versa. When a player acts like that, he's hardly asking to be picked.

Last edited:
Frustrating watch for a Chiefs fan. Not existent in the first half. Cairns normally so quick at the ruck bordering on ponderous. A reluctance to kick for points of old with full knowledge we can't play like we used to and get held up countless times - maddening.

but let's be honest ripping up against a second string Chiefs side in the Premiership Cup isn't really making that much of a statement.
Barring international callups that's as strong as chiefs can put out - fair enough Chiefs have more international callups than Gloucester, but Gloucester have also been guff all season and Chiefs are flying

I don't want to take the shine off a good performance, but let's be honest ripping up against a second string Chiefs side in the Premiership Cup isn't really making that much of a statement.

It was Mercer who said he was 'done with England for now' not vice versa. When a player acts like that, he's hardly asking to be picked.
When I read the interview it didn't come across like that. More that he was focussing on club rugby now as England didn't want him at the moment.

Worth a read as the headline warped what he said as they always do.

The media are scum.

The media are scum. I agree with you there. However, IMO, Mercer came across as petulant and entitled. I understand his disappointment, but when you say you are 'done with England', you can't really expect to be in the picture.

When the 6N squad was announced, Mercer was probably the 3rd best performing 8 across the season behind Dombrandt and Barbeary. When you also consider that Earl is an 8 for England and he man in possession, I really don't think not selecting him was particularly controversial. Personally, I would have called up Mercer ahead of CCS, but so far the latter has been one of the finds of the tournament for England and Earl is playing well at 8 so it's worked out well.

For the A squad, I expect Barbeary is the player they want to look at and Mercer's reaction to not being selected for the senior squad doesn't suggest he'd graciously accept being included for the As.

Latest posts