• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Cup 23/24

@Pieter Steph du Teague is Rus Tuima being seen as a lock now? Not really been following the prem cup but looking back he benched at 19 and second game started at lock. Guessing this is a thing now?

@Pieter Steph du Teague is Rus Tuima being seen as a lock now? Not really been following the prem cup but looking back he benched at 19 and second game started at lock. Guessing this is a thing now?
Yeah it's an interesting one. Obviously Jenkins and Tshiunza are both away and Gray is injured; I'm not sure if we have other injuries/unavailabilities there too?

Perhaps Baxter is taking a leaf out of the French book. More and more clubs over there have been deploying a huge, non-jumping tighthead lock to add ballast in the scrum and around the park and making up for it by having very tall back rowers for lineout jumping.

With Vermeulen, Tshiunza, Roots and Capstick all being tall, strong jumping options in the back row it makes sense that we might look at going down a similar route with Tuima.

I didn't watch the game vs Pirates but apparently Tuima was very impressive in it. A very destructive force around the park. He's also not dual-contracted this season so he'll be spending all of his time at Chiefs. I'm hoping that this is the season that he finally kicks on a bit.

Yeah it's an interesting one. Obviously Jenkins and Tshiunza are both away and Gray is injured; I'm not sure if we have other injuries/unavailabilities there too?

Perhaps Baxter is taking a leaf out of the French book. More and more clubs over there have been deploying a huge, non-jumping tighthead lock to add ballast in the scrum and around the park and making up for it by having very tall back rowers for lineout jumping.

With Vermeulen, Tshiunza, Roots and Capstick all being tall, strong jumping options in the back row it makes sense that we might look at going down a similar route with Tuima.

I didn't watch the game vs Pirates but apparently Tuima was very impressive in it. A very destructive force around the park. He's also not dual-contracted this season so he'll be spending all of his time at Chiefs. I'm hoping that this is the season that he finally kicks on a bit.
I like the idea tbh. I like Grey but he doesnt off much going forward. Eith losing LDC, Ewers, Simmonds ect we lost alot around the park so Tuima coming good and being a force is great for us.

Im liking the idea of
Jenkins Tuima
Vermulen Fisilau Tshiunza

We will rebuild and be pretty good. We have a decent backline with young FHs, Hawkins/devoto, Slade ect.

I like the idea tbh. I like Grey but he doesnt off much going forward. Eith losing LDC, Ewers, Simmonds ect we lost alot around the park so Tuima coming good and being a force is great for us.

Im liking the idea of
Jenkins Tuima
Vermulen Fisilau Tshiunza

We will rebuild and be pretty good. We have a decent backline with young FHs, Hawkins/devoto, Slade ect.
I'm gonna reply to this but probs best to take it to the Chiefs thread.

FRIDAY 22ND SEPTEMBER
Gloucester vs Harlequins (live on TNT Sports)
Newcastle Falcons vs Sale
SATURDAY 23RD SEPTEMBER
Bath vs London Scottish
Jersey Reds vs Exeter Chiefs
Saracens vs Nottingham
Bristol vs Northampton Saints
Hartpury RFC vs Coventry
Bedford Blues vs Caldy
Cambridge vs Cornish Pirates
Ealing Trailfinders vs Doncaster
SUNDAY 24TH SEPTEMBER
Leicester Tigers vs Ampthill

Another step closer to our Prem side but still with a good amount of youth in there - interesting to see Curtis Langdon's brother starting at hooker. Plays for Sale FC, think he had a few games for Tigers last season when at Loughborough?

Falcons For Sale

15 Ben Redshaw,
14 Adam Radwan,
13 Tom Penny,
12 Matias Orlando,
11 Ben Stevenson,
10 Brett Connon,
9 Hugh O'Sullivan;

1 Adam Brocklebank,
2 Michael van Vuuren,
3 Richard Palframan,
4 Tim Cardall,
5 Sebastian de Chaves,
6 Callum Chick (captain),
7 Guy Pepper,
8 Freddie Lockwood.

Replacements: 16 Ollie Fletcher, 17 Phil Brantingham, 18 Mark Tampin, 19 John Kelly, 20 Josh Bainbridge, 21 Sam Stuart, 22 Louie Johnson, 23 Zach Kerr.

Yeah....hopefully...though we struggled v Bedford....so better have improved.

Keep an eye on Redshaw at 15. He was England U18 captain last season and a centre....absolute top class. He was with the England squad a few weeks ago tackle bag holding.

Bath v LScottish
Sadly, but understandably, starting to bring in some more senior players. No-one looks higher up the pecking order than 2nd choice though (except Muir who missed the whole of last season). 2 academy players starting

Bath Rugby:
1 Juan Schoeman
2 Niall Annett
3 Johannes Jonker
4 Fergus Lee-Warner
5 Ewan Richards
6 Miles Reid (c)
7 Chris Cloete
8 Jaco Coetzee

09 Louis Schreuder
10 Piers Francis
11 Will Muir
12 Will Parry
13 Louie Hennessey
14 Gabe Goss
15 Tom de Glanville

16 Jasper Spandler, 17 Arthur Cordwell, 18 Kieran Verden, 19 JJ Tonks, 20 Nahum Merigan
21 Tom Carr-Smith, 22 Sam Harris, 23 Arthur Green

Sounds like Radwan is bossing the show up in Newcastle tonight,
Big question is, though, can he get chased down and tackled into touch by a tighthead lock?

23 - 10 FT,
From the text commentary sounds like Connons kicking game was the difference, kept us in our half the whole game and we couldn't exit - nor could we hold onto the ball, with about 100 scrums

Last edited:
Yeah we played much better than our last game. Lockwood and Pepper carried really well. I'll be watching their development very closely. Pepper is a very good 7 in the making.

Radwan just continues to add to his highlights reel. Our gain if England dont want him...

Connon seems to have finally clicked at 10....always had it...just inconsistent. Seems to understand the role better now.
We shall see how he goes this season.

I have hope we can do much better in the league this season....

Thing I love about the Premiership Cup being a 'Pre-season event' this year is that teams are using it as such. Gradually building squads and also using it as a sort of trial.
Best one yet, and the reason why I want the calendar to be changed, with ALL internationals played in this window. It would benefit our club rugby enormously as it provides a good pre season and then is uninterrupted through to the 6N.

Whats your thoughts on Painter at tight head? Is there a decent tighthead there for Baxter to bring out or is that TBC?

Whats your thoughts on Painter at tight head? Is there a decent tighthead there for Baxter to bring out or is that TBC?
My hopes aren't high. I've never rated Painter much in any aspect of the game to be brutally honest. But Baxter has a great track record for getting the most out of players so let's wait and see.

FRIDAY 29TH SEPTEMBER
Cornish Pirates vs Jersey Reds
Doncaster vs Bristol
Hartpury RFC vs Gloucester

SATURDAY 30TH SEPTEMBER
Ampthill vs Bedford Blues
Caldy vs Sale
Cambridge vs Ealing Trailfinders
Exeter Chiefs vs London Scottish
Leicester Tigers vs Newcastle Falcons
Northampton Saints vs Bath
Coventry vs Nottingham

SUNDAY 1ST OCTOBER
Harlequins vs Saracens (Live on TNT Sports)

Latest posts