• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cheetahs v Crusaders

T

The TRUTH

The Cheetahs fully deserve their favorites tag after an impressive start to the season, but they'll need to play more than one half of rugby to pull this one off. Crusaders rarely lose two in a row and they'll be desperate to win this one after their embarrassing loss to the Lions last week.

Well normally Crusaders all the way, but both teams are not where they are used to be in the table...

I`ll be going for the Cheetahs in this one, yes I have a helluva lot of respect for the Crusaders, but going on last weekend`s performances, the Cheetahs should just have the edge.

The really surprising thing for me about this year`s Cheetahs is the way that the skills levels in the backline has improved, even with quite a few 1st-choice backs injured. We`ve always known about their rather formidable pack, but the cut-and-thrust supplied by Ronnie Cooke, Phillip Burger et al has been a revelation, as has been the willingness to run with it.

I`ll go for another close-fought home win.

Last week was definanitley a dismal one for the Crusaders... the Cheetahs are looking really good and agree that they well deserve to be near top of the ladder.

Still the Crusaders will have had time to regroup, retrain and rethink... Deans is going to be driving them hard for a win.

Crusaders by +7

Just cant see the Crusaders winning this one. It's a massive ask on some of the young guns to come out off Kimberley with a win.

Cheetahs to win.

hmmm i am pretty sure that i will go crusaders.

hell i am sitting at my work desk, in wellington, with my canterbury flag behind me and wearing a crusaders tshirt (that work gave me)

has to be crusaders all the way :)

crusaders would have learnt a lot from last week and they rarely play 2 bad games in a row even without their ab stars. cheetahs have been playin well and will be a tough match for the crusaders but I think they can do it. crusaders by 10

Cheetahs line-up:

15- Phillip Burger
14- Eddie Fredericks
13- Marius Joubert
12- Meyer Bosman
11- Ronnie Cooke
10- Herkie Kruger
9- Falie Oelschig
8- Darren Nell
7- Juan Smith
6- Kabamba Floors
5- Corniel van Zyl
4- Bian Vermaak
3- Jannie Du Plessis
2- Adriaan Strauss
1- Wian du Preez

Reserves:
16- Richart Strauss
17- CJ VD Linde
18- Hendro Scholtz
19- Ryno vd Merwe
20- Micael Claassens
21- Gavin Passens
22- Tiger Mangweni

Unchanged match-22 from last week, very much the same game-plan probably- although they`re likely to come up against much stiffer opposition this time around. The Cheetahs also need to play for the entire 80 minutes, and not just the 1st 30 like last weekend. If they play to their true potential for 80 minutes, they might be in with a good chance on home turf back in Bloem.

Most punters say that the Cheetahs have the upper hand in this one.
For mine this one will not be over till it's over.

Lokking at the Head to Head:

CHEETAHS 15 Phillip Burger, 14 Eddie Fredericks, 13 Marius Joubert, 12 Meyer Bosman, 11 Ronnie Cooke, 10 Herkie Kruger, 9 Noel Oelschig; 8 Darren Nell, 7 Juan Smith ©, 6 Kabamba Floors, 5 Corniel van Zyl, 4 Bian Vermaak, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Adriaan Strauss, 1 Wiaan du Preez. Reserves: 16 Richardt Strauss, 17 CJ van der Linde, 18 Hendro Scholtz, 19 Ryno van der Merwe, 20 Michael Claassens, 21 Gavin Passens, 22 Tiger Mangweni.

CRUSADERS: 15 Scott Hamilton, 14 Brent Ward, 13 Casey Laulala, 12 Rua Tipoki, 11 Caleb Ralph, 10 Stephen Brett, 9 Andrew Ellis; 8 Mose Tuiali'i, 7 Johnny Leo'o, 6 Kieran Read, 5 Michael Paterson, 4 Ross Filipo, 3 Campbell Ben Franks, 2 Corey Flynn ©, 1 Wyatt Crockett. Reserves: 16 Ti'i Paulo, 17 Ben May, 18 Jake Paringatai, 19 Isaac Ross, 20 Kevin Senio, 21 Tusi Pisi, 22 Tim Bateman.

There's some good match up's here...
Joubert on Laulala, Marius has the experiance at top level while Laulala is starting to mature into the 13 jersey, both are good on defence with Laulala a bit more hungry in attack.
Bosman on Tipoki, completly differant playing styles.. Bosman has the all round skill set of a quality 1st5, passing, kicking, defence, organising the defensive and attacking lines whilst Rua is an up the middle, stand in the tackle, bust the line, smash 'em in defence sort of player... brains agaisnt muscle... should be good to watch.
Kruger on Brett, great oppurtunity for both players to step up and control the game... again should be a good one to watch.
Smith on Leo'o, this one should be really interesting as on paper you'd expect Smith to dominate Leo'o (specially with the game Smith had last week) BUT Leo'o is funny sort of player - you never know when he's going to step up... after last weeks loss I think he'll be looking to sterp up big time.

And then there's the rest of the forwards... I think the Crusaders can do it but why the hell do they have Ward on the wing?

Rico Gear has hurt his shoulder and is out for this weekend so I guess they feel Hamilton is better at fullback than Ward.

Crusaders rampant over the Cheetahs 49-28 :bravo:

The boys are back!!

The scorers:

For the Cheetahs:
Tries: Nell 2, Kruger
Cons: Bosman 2
Pens: Bosman 2
DG: Kruger

For the Crusaders:
Tries: Laulala, Ralph 2, Hamilton 2, Brett
Cons: Brett 5
Pens: Brett 3

This was one of the better games i have seen this year. Alot of fluidity from both sides. I thought the Crusaders forwrards layed bloody well in general play and their backs were pretty slick. I was impressed by the way the cheetahs were playing in scrum time they put some good pressure on the crusaders.

This game didnt have that many mistakes in it which made it much more enjoyable, both teams chanced their arm and kept the ball in hand and it was great to watch.

also i am happy cause we won :)

Wow, now that`s a normal Robbie Deans- coached Crusaders performance. In my humble opinion, the Cheetahs weren`t poor at all, the Crusaders were just that much better in every aspect of play. From the scrums and line-outs, to the loose, to the halfbacks and in the outside backs, the Crusaders played close to perfect rugby- very few handling errors, almost zero wrong options taken, brilliant, disciplined, well-drilled, magnificent all-round performance.Clinical rugby, if ever I saw it.

For the Cheetahs methinks that Juan Smith tried his heart out, while Wian Du Preez and Adriaan Strauss were also very prominent in the loose. Of course CJ had his by now typical swerving, side-stepping run, beating 3 defenders, but it was from midfield this time around, and not out wide, therefore no tries this round.

Latest posts