Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lions 13+

• Lions 12-

• Total voters
C

C A Iversen

Another South African battle here and once again this could be a close one.

These two teams almost finished side by side last year and their squads haven't changed so much as to greatly alter that balance.

It depends, to me at least, which side brings it's 'A' game. That term gets bandied about a lot, but it's never more apt than when describing these two teams. They're not terrible and can in fact be very competitive, with the likes of Pretorious and Marius Joubert on the same field what game wouldn't be? It's just that these two teams only bring their best out for one in every four-five games. Knowing my luck, they'll both bring their 'A' games to this one as they both know they have a reasonable chance to win this opener and set up a season.

If I had to I'd pick a draw, but I won't. The Cheetahs turn up just that little more often.

I'll back them to again.

The Lions have superior forwards and the Cheetahs have a superior back line. Should be epic.

*P.S. Marius Joubert plays for Clermont in France nowdays

Right up there with the Reds v Highlanders match this one. The battle of the Protea pussycats will be won by the speed of the Cheaters, sorry my bad Cheetahs :p

I`m sorry to say, but the Cheetahs have 2 chances of winning this one- zero and f-all.

Basically, they`ve lost just about anything that resembles experience in their team, and the Lions backline, who will in all likelihood feature the likes of Vermaak, Pretorius, Fourie, Jaco Pretorius, Ludik et al, will run rings around the most inexperienced backline in Super rugby history.

Look, the Cheetahs have plenty of ticker, and they`ve always been able to compete with the best in SA on a shoestring budget. Plus they`ve won the last 3 Currie Cup competitions. But a Cheetahs team sans Joubert, De Waal, Du Randt, Du Plessis, Le Roux etc., and with V D Linde`s calf injury, they` simply won`t be able to compete.

Sounds good in theory, but to be honest there are surprises every year and I'm sure the Cheetahs will be depleted, but they still have show. It won't be one-sided, lets see, eh?

Have to agree BokMagic, also Naka Drotske as head coach doesn't have as much experience Eugen Eloff. The Cheetahs backline will really struggle as they have lost a ton of players and will struggle at Fly half.

I have almost no doubt Bosman will be wearing the number 10 jersey for the Cheetahs this season. Not a bad replacement me thinks. Do they even have another recognised fly half in their squad?

cheetahs to me seem like they have just lost a bit too much to match the lions in this one. form for SA teams is hard to read especially early on in the season but I think the lions will have too much for the cheetahs and win by 1-12

Really entertaining game, in the first half the Cheetahs deserved their comfortable lead and scored after a minute but after that they just lost their way. They only needed 1 more try with 45 mins still to go to gain a bonus point, instead they went into their shells and the Lions dominated the second period. I fansy this may be decided who finishes bottom and who doesnt, although their are a couple of other teams in worse positions.

Where was Fourie and Andre Pretorious for the Lions?

Latest posts