• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Choke Tackles - Do you think they add to the spectacle of the game?

Do you think they add to the spectacle of the game?

• Yes

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters
Boo hoo. Since when do we get rid of everything that doesn't add spectacle to the game? I swear to god, there surely can't be a more whingey, irritating coaching staff than the boys in charge of Wales.

he should coach his players to have a better body position and to dominate the contact.

Boo hoo. Since when do we get rid of everything that doesn't add spectacle to the game? I swear to god, there surely can't be a more whingey, irritating coaching staff than the boys in charge of Wales.

Errr...?

Since you watch it for entertainment?!

Choke tackles aren't that fun to watch, and there's an argument to suggest they probably encourage terrible tackle technique in younger players, but they're very satisfying to pull off.

he should coach his players to have a better body position and to dominate the contact.

He should coach his players not to run directly at defenders as well.

Sorry what? I have a built in defence mechanism that kicks in the second Gatland or Edwards open their mouths.

In all honesty this is yet more whinging about how they lost to England...

Starting to make England asking for clarification about how Walsh was reffing the scrum as asking for sound tactical advice....

to be honest i do thin it encourages bad technique, so i would outlaw it below the elite divisions but leave it in at the top.

4d621b8d5b.png

Not particularly. I just find the argument that we should get rid of something because it doesn't add to the spectacle of the game very gimmicky. It's the kind of thing that SigeSige used to come out with.

Yeah... it's sitting right alongside adding a second crossbar and denying Japan the RWC because of nuclear fallout in the "completely insane ideas" bin.

Fair enough if you enjoy them.

That's what I was asking - not "should we ban them", even if it clearly leads on to a question of outlawing them.

Last edited:
Isolating a player and dominating the contact zone wins a team possession in most other aspects of the game and I don't understand why this should be any different. It might not be pretty but then again neither are scrums or aerial ping pong battles.

It might not be pretty but then again neither are scrums or aerial ping pong battles.

Scrums are fine when they work - and there are pretty constant (if half-arsed) attempts to improve their "watch-ability".
There have also been efforts to reduce the amount of kicking in open play.

The trouble with choke tackles is you essentially have 2 minutes of dead time once they are instigated until the ball is played from the scrum.
And they do so at the expense of making teams less willing to do anything in midfield other than crash the ball up.

And they do so at the expense of making teams less willing to do anything in midfield other than crash the ball up.

Surely the other way around? you know if you crash you're gonna get gangtackled so you try and move the point.

The biggest issue is that Kiss has got that risih defence drilled, and not in a get off the line and hit em way, in an intelligent decision makign way.

They don't commit until a defender is isolated, so when team goes wide they'll back off and cede ground for the chance to get him to the floor with a secondary in at the jackal, with the choke if the primary contact isn't good they'll bring em down and re-set.

it's just intelligent defending and they are excelent at making the right decisions.

Surely the other way around? you know if you crash you're gonna get gangtackled so you try and move the point.

You know you're going to get gang tackled and held up unless you dominate contact so you don't really have any choice other than to crash it up and hit the deck.
You aren't going to try and use footwork in the middle of the park because you know that if you get scragged then the opposition's choke drills are probably sharp enough to turn you over.

You know you're going to get gang tackled and held up unless you dominate contact so you don't really have any choice other than to crash it up and hit the deck.
You aren't going to try and use footwork in the middle of the park because you know that if you get scragged then the opposition's choke drills are probably sharp enough to turn you over.

oooh, don't agree with that mate. Footwork to get yourself between the tacklers - hit it hard so you dominate the collision but the biggest issue for me is when people do what Bastareud did and just run head long - same with Roberts. Spaces not Faces as every u7 is told.

oooh, don't agree with that mate. Footwork to get yourself between the tacklers - hit it hard so you dominate the collision but the biggest issue for me is when people do what Bastareud did and just run head long - same with Roberts. Spaces not Faces as every u7 is told.

Yeah Basteraud was getting choked are at least held up for a bit pretty much everytime, out wide there's generally less defenders so it's harder to be choked.

Someone explain to me please. If a maul forms following a lineout say, and then the maul collapses but isn't pulled down illegally, then a ruck is allowed to be formed and play continues. But if a choke tackle occurs, and the maul is called and then the ruck collapses to the floor, even if it isn't pulled down illegally, it is considered turnover ball. Why is this?

Latest posts