• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Chris Jack Sebastian Chabal

G

Gandalf

Hi Guys,

I realise this may be a little mundane, but why on earth is Chris Jack going on about Chabal being overrated? The guy has been very well known in the English leagues for a good 3-4 years now. Methinks it might be a case of mind games. The All Blacks are making themslves vulnerable for attack.. Come on guys, focus on the game at hand, don't take cheap shots at a player that is clearly quality.

Maybe he(Chabal) plays with his heart on his sleeve, that's why Ali's lock partner feels threatened...

Cheers,

Jason

Ps. And yes, I am aware Chris was referring to Sebastian playing lock as an overrated play. ;-)

He is overrated. He is too afraid to do the hardwork and just looks for big hits in attack and defense. Also he dropped the ball nearly every time he got it in the tours to New Zealand.

I have to agree that he is overrated. I mean lately I haven't even seen him play a full game and keep making plays in the 60th 70th minute. He does make some big hits that may change possesion or shake up offenses but I think there are alot of other players who do that AND help their team out by being around the whole field.

You see this in every sport, where the fan favourite isn't necessarily the best player or an oustanding player. But because the French fan base love him, he gets undue coverage from the media. Make no mistake Chabal is overated, if we are considering him as a anything more than a 20 minute per game impact player. That is what Chris Jack is refering to. When a reporter asks him "How are you going to deal with Chabal?", the clear answer is it doesn't really matter because he's not going to be much of a factor. The fact is Jerry Collins does what Chabal does, the only difference Collins does it for 80 minutes and Chabal does it for 15-20 minutes.

Hi Guys,

I realise this may be a little mundane, but why on earth is Chris Jack going on about Chabal being overrated? The guy has been very well known in the English leagues for a good 3-4 years now. Methinks it might be a case of mind games. The All Blacks are making themslves vulnerable for attack.. Come on guys, focus on the game at hand, don't take cheap shots at a player that is clearly quality.

Maybe he(Chabal) plays with his heart on his sleeve, that's why Ali's lock partner feels threatened...

Cheers,

Jason

Ps. And yes, I am aware Chris was referring to Sebastian playing lock as an overrated play. ;-) [/b]

So it's ok that the French have spent the last 12 months talking themselves up (after losing by 44 points at home) and accusing the All Blacks of everything from being steriod users to the masterminds behind the JFK Assasination, but Chris Jack can't say that Chabal is overated (which he is)

<div class='quotemain'> Hi Guys,

Cheers,

Jason

Ps. And yes, I am aware Chris was referring to Sebastian playing lock as an overrated play. ;-) [/b]

So it's ok that the French have spent the last 12 months talking themselves up (after losing by 44 points at home) and accusing the All Blacks of everything from being steriod users to the masterminds behind the JFK Assasination, but Chris Jack can't say that Chabal is overated (which he is)
[/b][/quote]
That was Laporte not Chabal, pick your enemies correctly before mouthing off...

u guys are missing the point

just because he is overexposed in the media it has nothing to do with his form being rated

he isnt selected in the world 15 - he isnt selected in anything that makes him overrated - he comes of the bench

i think jacks a little jealous that Chabal can make more money (marketing), even if he isnt as good a player as jack himself

The media talks him up, the people talk him up. Basically anyone that looks at the surface aspects of rugby being the big hits and big runs. So yeah hes over rated in general. But the poeple that know their game have got it right. I mean hes on the bench right! He hasnt showed the ability to put in a full 80. He has shown little more than the capability of playing an impact 20. Who knows maybe he'll be the difference in the last 20, Doubt it though. The ABs should have a big enough lead by then, and the quality of their bench should completely negate any Chabal impact. More than that youd expect the ABs to run away with it with their own bench impact.

The media talks him up, the people talk him up. Basically anyone that looks at the surface aspects of rugby being the big hits and big runs. So yeah hes over rated in general. But the poeple that know their game have got it right. I mean hes on the bench right! He hasnt showed the ability to put in a full 80. He has shown little more than the capability of playing an impact 20. Who knows maybe he'll be the difference in the last 20, Doubt it though. The ABs should have a big enough lead by then, and the quality of their bench should completely negate any Chabal impact. More than that youd expect the ABs to run away with it with their own bench impact.
[/b]
Well its pretty f***ing hard for Chabal to perform when his absent minded coach has him as a replacement lock when he is a backrower, namely a number 8!

They should ask Chris Masoe or Ali Williams if he's overated I bet they'll give an honest opinion lol. He is a good player maybe not as good as people make him out to be but once he's on the field the opposition will know where he is at all times.

I think his caveman image plays alot on how he is perceived as a player, because of this I think he's kind of labelled as the French Jerry Collins. So coming up against the All Blacks he no doubt will be a marked man.

They should ask Chris Masoe or Ali Williams if he's overated I bet they'll give an honest opinion lol. He is a good player maybe not as good as people make him out to be but once he's on the field the opposition will know where he is at all times.

I think his caveman image plays alot on how he is perceived as a player, because of this I think he's kind of labelled as the French Jerry Collins. So coming up against the All Blacks he no doubt will be a marked man.

[/b]
In yesterday's dailytelegraph here is Aus, they asked that very question to Chris Jack and Ali Williams. They both said Chabal is a tough player, perhaps not as good as he is made out to be however they also said he is playing at his less effective position lock, and if he was playing his preferred position of #8 or flanker, then he'd be a more formidable opponent, a more complete player.

I like Chabal i really do but i hate it when the media, fans etc make him out to be a God. He's only good for about 40 minutes maximum and that's being generous.

I like Chabal i really do but i hate it when the media, fans etc make him out to be a God. He's only good for about 40 minutes maximum and that's being generous. [/b]
gallery_81_2_5490.jpg

gallery_81_2_438072.jpg

gallery_81_2_32326.jpg

From where I sit there appears to be more talk about Chabal than Jerry, in that respect I believe he is over rated. When Chabal toured NZ he did play on after a JC tackle but not for long and not with any impact.

From where I sit there appears to be more talk about Chabal than Jerry, in that respect I believe he is over rated. When Chabal toured NZ he did play on after a JC tackle but not for long and not with any impact.
[/b]

What do you mean with "impact" ?

In france media are obsessed by Chabal... Of course he's overrated... He makes great things... for 20 minutes...

If you are asking Sébastien to do everything a rugby player can do i agree he is over rated but if you are asking him to do what he is supposed to do he is pretty good imho.
Look Jérome Thion is taller and bigger but imho he is not as good as Chabal to perforate opponent line.
And being a hard hiter is good because some players are much shyer when they are supposed to tackle the beast.

[/b]

They should ask Jerry Collins if he's over rated.
One hit by Collins, and Chabal went off injured.

More than that youd expect the ABs to run away with it

Only if you are delusional. Seriously, the All Blacks are not twice the team of any other and it's about time people start to appreciate that. Great team? Sure, but you're fooling yourself if you expect them to win.