• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Coach Millward sacked by Warriors

G

getofmeland

Wigan coach Ian Millward has been sacked with immediate effect.

The Warriors have had a dismal start to the new season and are bottom of Super League, with just one victory from the opening eight games.

Assistant coaches Stuart Wilkinson and Andrew Farrar will take charge of team affairs in the short term.

Millward only took over at the JJB Stadium last May after parting company at St Helens, replacing Denis Betts on a three-year deal.

Source BBC SPORT

its about time. wigan have the players, they have a super set up, theres clearly only one person at fault here. Every time wigan were beaten millward kept saying he was on this for the long run but never said how he planned on fixing the rot. hopefully the cherry and whites can take a leaf out of fc's book and put a good performance in against saints on friday. nothing like a shock win over the old enemy to turn the warriors season around.

Originally posted by fordage@Apr 11 2006, 08:21 PM
its about time. wigan have the players, they have a super set up, theres clearly only one person at fault here. Every time wigan were beaten millward kept saying he was on this for the long run but never said how he planned on fixing the rot.
I think that is extremely unfair and, ultimately, extremely WRONG.

Firstly, Wigan do NOT have the players. Of your players, there's only O'Loughlin I would consider signing. Like it or not, we're the benchmark, and your players aren't up to the standard of ours. Your first choice hooker, for example, was our third choice hooker. Wigan Warriors are not even a top 6 team, IMO. "We've got the players." What a load of crap.

Secondly, you cannot blame Millward for the crap performances that the players have churned up this season. You were very, very lucky to beat Wakefield in the cup, that was down to Wakefield's incompetence and naivity above everything else.

And thirdly, Wigan are a shambolically badly run club. Maurice Lyndsey is an interfering old idiot who takes a hold of the recruitment process himself. And he buys crap - Pat Richards is average, Calderwood a disaster waiting to happen, Higham very, very ordinary.

You're the vermin, we're the cure.

Is Millward that aussie idiot that commentated with those English idiots during last years Tri nations?

The one that slurs when he speaks?

Never noticed the slur, but yeah, that would have been Millward, or Chris Warren, not sure.

I think there are four reasons for our downfall this year (starting last year).

No Farrell
No Lam
No Radlinski
No Newton

Farrell I will give you. Radlinski didn't play for 2 years hardly because of injury (and when he did was never anything like the player he was), Newton was a defensive liability but was important in taking out the oppositions best players, and Lam had no knees for 18 months before he packed in.

You're just hiding behind excuses.

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@Apr 12 2006, 10:55 AM
Farrell I will give you. Radlinski didn't play for 2 years hardly because of injury (and when he did was never anything like the player he was), Newton was a defensive liability but was important in taking out the oppositions best players, and Lam had no knees for 18 months before he packed in.

You're just hiding behind excuses.
The thing is they were our leaders. Orr, Moran and O'Loughlin haven't stepped upto the mark.

Orr and Moran couldn't step up to anything, including a fitness DVD. O'Loughlin is, in all seriousness, your only player worth bothering with. And he will probably be off next season too.

Orr and Moran were leaders at Castleford and London respectivley however they let their chances to run the field at Wigan go.

But running Cas and running London are two totally different things... you're Wigan, "The biggest team in the world."

Latest posts