• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Coaching tips

S

Shortymac

G'day

Im just looking at getting into coaching and was wondering if anybody out there had some tips/tricks on the technical aspects of forward play i.e. scrums (binding, formation at set plays, engagement), lineouts, defensive patterns around ruck and maul/open play, player body positioning, roles of players on attack/defence (in different areas of the paddock), mauling/rucks etc etc
Would be great to get abit of inside knowledge from current and former players/coaches!

Thank you everyone

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shortymac @ Oct 10 2009, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
G'day

Im just looking at getting into coaching and was wondering if anybody out there had some tips/tricks on the technical aspects of forward play i.e. scrums (binding, formation at set plays, engagement), lineouts, defensive patterns around ruck and maul/open play, player body positioning, roles of players on attack/defence (in different areas of the paddock), mauling/rucks etc etc
Would be great to get abit of inside knowledge from current and former players/coaches!

Thank you everyone[/b]

If you have a team with a lot of new and/or inexperienced players, I would show them this clip from videojug.com:
<object width="400" height="336" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="videojugplayer"><param name="movie" value="http://www.videojug.com/player?id=e1f5d6f8-9621-2232-3204-ff0008c9a98a"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.videojug.com/player?id=e1f5d6f8-9621-2232-3204-ff0008c9a98a" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="400" height="336" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object>
Rugby:
Rugby Union: Guide To Rucks And Mauls
In fact, if you have a lot of new guys, I'd show them the whole series from videojug, it's well done and makes things clearer than any other video programme I've seen, and it is free.

A good drill/exercise for your forwards is to have them group in pairs based on size. Have the 2 players get on their knees facing each other and bind like the would in the front row of a scrum. Then when you blow your whistle or give the verbal command, they must raise up off their knees using the bind to hold them. It can be seen in the following video being performed by the All Blacks:
<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rElPSUlfJ_M&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rElPSUlfJ_M&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>
This exercise will stengthen their core, their legs and help them focus on binding and using the other players weight for their advantage.

Another training game I've done is what we call the "Pyramid of Pain." Set out cones 10 meters across as your starting point. Have 5 players lay down on their stomach here, these are the attacking or offensive force. Set out cones 5 meters back and station 3 defenders (the 3 defenders should be up and facing the offense). Another 5 meters back, set up another set of cones with 2 defensive players stationed there. Another 5 meters back, set up another set of cones with 1 defensive player there. And then finally another 5 meters back set up cones to represent the try line. The offense must work within the boundries (meaning they only have 10 meters of width to play with. Roll the ball out to the offense, they must get off their bellies and run the ball straight into the defense and ruck or maul. If they get driven out of bounds or knock on they start over at the nearest line (set of cones) of progress back on their bellies and the defense backs up to the next 5 meter mark (eventually you will have 6 defenders on the last line vs. 5 offensive players). This is a physically exhausting drill as it is rucking and rucking over and over again until the offense scores.
I hope that is explanatory enough.
Hit us back with any questions.

Cheers,

Nate Rowlan

Thanks heaps mate, I never knew of the videojug site!!
once again, thanks alot, I may have some questions for you in the future if thats ok

Regards
Craig

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shortymac @ Oct 11 2009, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks heaps mate, I never knew of the videojug site!!
once again, thanks alot, I may have some questions for you in the future if thats ok

Regards
Craig[/b]
No problem. The videojug rugby section is really quality stuff. I've seen other dvd's etc...but as far as being both precise and simple, it takes the cake. I sent emails to every new player and said this is mandatory to watch. We also took team times to watch this sort of stuff as a team. I don't know if you have the capabilities to do that (either a projector set up, or a s-video cable to a large format television). Once a month I we had mandatory meetings where we watched a top level match, and went over some video of areas we were having problem (like the ruck or tackling) using videojug.
Another good rucking drill is what we've called the rucking train (you can also modify this to include mauling). 5-7 players line up behind eachother in a straight line. First man runs out with the ball, second man yells post and first man posts the ball on the ground and turns around to become the defender. The second man runs and picks up the ball and drives into the defender (1st man) goes to ground and posts the ball with the 3rd and 4th man coming fast behind and rucking the 1st man (defender) off the ball. The 5th man picks up the clear ball and now becomes the 1st man. You just keep doing this with everybody falling back into the line. We would line up 2 or 3 teams and have a race up and down the field.

Latest posts