• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Commonwealth Games

Of course for the most part success at the commonwealth games =/= success at world or olympic games since China, Russia and particularly the USA are pretty big absences at these games just in themselves. Does that make any difference to the value of the CWG as an elite sporting event? It certainly shouldn't IMO; for me it shouldn't be seen as in competition with any form of world cup or the olympic games, it is seperate and different. Simply, a group of countries with a common connection deciding to put aside differences and celebrate IMO sport, competition, acceptance and togethernes.

Of course for the most part success at the commonwealth games =/= success at world or olympic games since China, Russia and particularly the USA are pretty big absences at these games just in themselves. Does that make any difference to the value of the CWG as an elite sporting event? It certainly shouldn't IMO; for me it shouldn't be seen as in competition with any form of world cup or the olympic games, it is seperate and different. Simply, a group of countries with a common connection deciding to put aside differences and celebrate IMO sport, competition, acceptance and togethernes.

This!

I thoroughly enjoyed this Commonwealth Games, and it was actually nice to see more of a competitiveness, due to the absence of the big hitters like China & USA.

for instance, in the swimming there were a bunch of great results with a whole lot of nailbiting events. With the absence of the likes of Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte, the events were more edge of the seat stuff, and even brought some surprize results.

Also, I was amazed that South Africa won a gold medal for JUDO!! I mean, when this event is during the olympics, it's usually just asian nations picking up the medals. The same can be said about wrestling, where Nigeria had a very strong coningent if this was the olympics, I'm sure Russia, Ukraine or Romania would've ruled the roost.

The CG IMHO was very well managed by the Scots. there weren't any delays, or mix ups that I saw. And you could just see from the competitors that they all had a blast. I often saw competitors from different countries standing side by side, having a laugh.

I often saw competitors from different countries standing side by side, having a laugh.

Well said old boy.......far more interesting and competitive as a whole and relative to your above comment, that is why they are called the "Friendly Games"........

Well said old boy.......far more interesting and competitive as a whole and relative to your above comment, that is why they are called the "Friendly Games"........

Agree. Was a fantastic competition.

I think Matthew Pinsent made a great quote.

(To Paraphrase) "you don't find people turning off the Six Nations because New Zealand aren't in it"

Latest posts