• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Completely new to rugby: Help!

AlanN

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
Hi. I thought I would join for a bit of advice on watching rugby. I am a complete armchair rookie but for some reason it has started to appeal to me (I am a sports fan generally: mainly tennis, F1 and athletics), probably due to the world cup going on.

I must admit, it took me a while to even figure out why there are two types of rugby but I've cracked that one now.

I think league appeals to me slightly more because of its reputation of being a tougher game, but I have noticed that most of the teams are from northern England. Nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't give me much to cheer for when I am sitting in Kent.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Rugby Union is better as far as i'm concerned, and Rugby League is also played in Australia and New Zealand.

Rugby Union is better as far as i'm concerned, and Rugby League is also played in Australia and New Zealand.

It's actually played in many countries... It's just not that popular in those countries.

South Africa also has a League team, the Rhinos... but they are a small group, much like the animal they are named after...

i suppose union is a bit harder to understand with all the laws, but thats what makes it so great. i can get a little bored watching league if im honest

It's actually played in many countries... It's just not that popular in those countries.

South Africa also has a League team, the Rhinos... but they are a small group, much like the animal they are named after...

That I like:lol:

It's the most popular sport in PNG.

Lol on the rhino line. Have numbers dropped off sharply? I was in SA in 2006 and you couldn't turn a corner in the safari park we visited without seeing one! I was told we dropped quite lucky to be fair.

Edit:
@AlanN You're likely to get a biased response here as this forum is primarily concerned with rugby union. As others have said, league is a lot less complex so more accessible, for most people, the complexity of union is part of the attraction. It does require some effort to get your head around, but your efforts will be rewarded.

My best advice would be to collar a mate who understands the game and ask him watch a few games with you and talk you through what's going on. If none of your mates are rugby fans, you could try popping into your local rugby club's bar before a game and talking to the locals. They tend to be friendly places, someone's bound to invite you to watch the game with them. Westcombe Park, Gravesend, Canterbury or Blackheath would all be good choices if you're in Kent (prepare to meet lots of people called Rupert and Toby though! ;)). You may also want to to get your hands on a KTG Know The Game book of Rugby Union (assuming they still make them, I got mine as a kid many moons ago), it will give give you a decent overview of the game without getting bogged down in technicalities. Lastly, I believe there are threads kicking around here for people who are newer to the game to ask questions, if not, by all means create one in the appropriate forum. There's quite a lot of knowledgeable posters here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be worthwhile getting in touch with your local refs society in Kent.Explain that you're new to the game and would like to understand it better.Sure they'll be able to help.

Are you interested in playing at all? Because I do know that at the lower end of the local amateur leagues there are a lot of clubs who struggle for players and a decently athletic guy who was keen to learn would be very welcome. At the right club you'd get a great social scene as well.

Did the Union teams use up all the Big Cat names?

Did the Union teams use up all the Big Cat names?

Apparently there were several more, but someone mentioned an American Dentist and they kinda fizzled out.....
@AlanN

Welcome to the rugby forums, and more importantly, welcome to the sport. I may be slightly biased, but I consider it one of the greatest sports in the world. Not just for the game, but also for the support. There are very few sports which produce such intense rivalry, but also allow the supporters of such rivalries to sit next to each other, and know that the losing supporter will congratulate the winning supporter and probably receive a conciliatory beer(which never actually helps, but it makes the night a bit cheaper), rather than causing trouble because of the game/team/nationality/affiliation/favourite shellfish etc etc etc ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for all your replies. Some good tips there. I'm afraid I definitely won't be playing rugby though, it would probably ruin my back for good (but thanks for asking), although I do have a younger work colleague who plays and will chat with him about it.

Looking forward to SA v NZ this afternoon, but can you explain to me why Ireland are not in the semi final when they have more points than Argentina? Or are the tables out of date?

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies. Some good tips there. I'm afraid I definitely won't be playing rugby though, it would probably ruin my back for good (but thanks for asking), although I do have a younger work colleague who plays and will chat with him about it.

Looking forward to SA v NZ this afternoon, but can you explain to me why Ireland are not in the semi final when they have more points than Argentina? Or are the tables out of date?

ireland won the group but lost to argentina in the quarter finals, so they were knocked out

Hi AlanN.

If you're new to rugby with only a very basic understanding of the game.Then you may well be the person we're looking for for a forthcoming vacancy.Why not drop by an informal chat.Drop us a line at:RFU c/o Twickenham.

Really enjoyed NZ v SA. Although I did wonder why they don't try and score as many drop goals as possible? Given they are worth 3 points, would this not have helped SA win? They did it at the start of the match but not at the end.

Last edited:
Really enjoyed NZ v SA. Although I did wonder why they don't try and score as many drop goals as possible? Given they are worth 3 points, would this not have helped SA win? They did it at the start of the match but not at the end.

Jannie de Beer, kicked South Africa to a win against England in 1999 with 5 drop goals. So, yes, it's a very underrated method of scoring. However, South Africa had very little time in the NZ 22 yesterday. And it's really of their own making.

Really enjoyed NZ v SA. Although I did wonder why they don't try and score as many drop goals as possible? Given the are worth 3 points, would this not have helped SA win? They did it at the start of the match but not at the end.

Because NZ cheated and Richie asked the ref to keep the Boks out of a droppy/drop kick range, it's true because throughout history, the NZRFU All Blacks record were invented by the NWO and the free-masons. NZ's win/loss ratio was actually created by the NWO since 1903.

We wear black because we're actually a dirty black plague, we are scum bags

Whilst Richie cut off Louws head with daylight between his elbow and head, we raised the Black ISIS flag.

NZ made sure that we gave penalties away to make it look fair, don't let the penalty count sway your thoughts on the final outcome because NZ cheated as per usual especially with 14 men and penalties galore.

In my opinion rugby union is a better sport. There are also more clubs nearer to you in leagues such as the Aviva Premiership. (The English top division for rugby union)
If you need help learning rules etc you can look online. It also helps to watch games maybe on TV.

Latest posts