• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Connacht fans rejoice!

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
S

snoopy snoopy dog dog

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
http://www.rte.ie/sport/2009/1103/bradleym.html

Connacht coach Michael Bradley will step down at the end of the current season after seven years in charge.

And the former Irish skipper is hopeful that he can bring the curtain down on his career in the West by steering Connacht into the Heineken Cup for the first time.

Bradley took over the reins in Connacht in 2003 from South African Steph Nel, following a season in which the IRFU threatened to get rid of the professional game in the West.

He will continue in the position until the end of the season - he is the longest serving coach in the Magners League along with Dai Young of Cardiff Blues.

Connacht have revealed the announcement is being made now to allow them time to find a replacement and to give Bradley the opportunity to consider other options.

Bradley said that it was now time to consider new challenges after seven years in charge at the Sportsground.[/b]

Great news for Connacht but I just hope to God he's not being lined up to replace Cheika at Leinster cause that would signal the death knell for us.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Nov 3 2009, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Great news for Connacht but I just hope to God he's not being lined up to replace Cheika at Leinster cause that would signal the death knell for us.[/b]
Tony McGahan's contract is up at Munster too - please God send him there!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Nov 3 2009, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Nov 3 2009, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great news for Connacht but I just hope to God he's not being lined up to replace Cheika at Leinster cause that would signal the death knell for us.[/b]
Tony McGahan's contract is up at Munster too - please God send him there!
[/b][/quote]

God no, just send him to France where he can't do any damage to Irish players or their future prospects, maybe a stint in the Pro D2 might do him the world of good, apologies to any fans of Pro D2 teams by the way.

It's likely he will go to Leinister, and it doesn't mean it's curtains either. He was actually a breath of fresh air when he took over after EOS. Simple things like playing good rugby and playing a passing 12 made a big difference.

Who am I kidding, your screwed! O'Driscoll to openside anyone?

Any ideas as to who'll take over?

Eric Elwood will be in the frame certainly. Niall O'Donovan is out of work and has a good pedigree with Munster and Ireland. Mark McCall will be refreshed from his stints in France and now with Saracens and is still young enough to make an impact. Colin McEntee is working wonders in Leinster's academy and if Connacht's brief is to be the development province, he could be in with an outside chance. Emmet Farrell is earning his stripes with Leinster as video analyst and Blackrock as backs coach/co-head coach. Neil Doak is doing an exceptional job with Ulster's backline. Ian Costello of UL Bohs and Brian Walsh of Cork Con seem to be excellent AIL coaches. Derek Suffern of Ballynahinch is a very successful young coach winning 5 (?) trophies last season. Anyone else?

An Elwood/NiallO combination seems the obvious choice but maybe a completely new regime would be a good thing. It is a bit of a poisened chalice though isn't it?

Elwood will take over. He's been doing it long enough and he'll be cheap.

No chance of Bradley going to Leinster. Absolutely none.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Nov 4 2009, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
No chance of Bradley going to Leinster. Absolutely none.[/b]
Hopefully you're right. Bradley did some good things with Connacht in his opening two years and freed up the Irish backline in his two games in charge last summer but he's damaged goods as a head coach. I could accept him being brought in as backs coach but would be very, very wary of giving him a bigger job.

Ian Foster is the strong favourite for the Leinster gig. For the bookies to pluck out a relatively obscure option as favourite for the job, there must be something to it. Also, Jono Gibbes talking him up recently may be a sign that there's truth to the speculation.

Maybe the people at the IRFU have had a masterstroke and are haning Bradley out as bait for the new (to be) franchise at Melbourne so we can keep Cheika?? Eh???

That's what I heard too Snoopy.

TBF, Bradley wouldn't make a bad backs coach at Munster or Leinster.

Like Bradley or dislike him, he no fool.

Bradley is leaving Connacht because he has a better job lined up but was training tonight and heard an interesting rumour.

By the way the comment that McGahans contract up is false as he has signed extension but .... (wait for it)

Munster are looking for Bradley as a backs coach on Mr Kidney's reference.

This may be down to Munster having no specialized back coach as McGahan doubles up.

In fairness I spose were all being a bit harsh on him but ................... Wahoo hes going to Munster!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Nov 4 2009, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Bradley is leaving Connacht because he has a better job lined up but was training tonight and heard an interesting rumour.

By the way the comment that McGahans contract up is false as he has signed extension but .... (wait for it)

This may be down to Munster having no specialized back coach as McGahan doubles up.[/b]
I thought Jason Holland was backs coach but nonetheless, it wouldn't be a bad call for Munster to get Bradley involved as backs coach. As an experienced head coach, he'd be invaluable for the inexperienced McGahan to bounce ideas off.

McGahan is a good coach (I'd quite fancy him to replace Michael Cheika with Gaffney overseeing him!) but needs a bit of direction at present. Laurie Fisher, another former head coach, isn't giving that to him - perhaps Bradley would.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Nov 5 2009, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Nov 4 2009, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This may be down to Munster having no specialized back coach as McGahan doubles up.[/b]
I thought Jason Holland was backs coach but nonetheless, it wouldn't be a bad call for Munster to get Bradley involved as backs coach. As an experienced head coach, he'd be invaluable for the inexperienced McGahan to bounce ideas off.

McGahan is a good coach (I'd quite fancy him to replace Michael Cheika with Gaffney overseeing him!) but needs a bit of direction at present. Laurie Fisher, another former head coach, isn't giving that to him - perhaps Bradley would.
[/b][/quote]
Holland listed as Backs coach but everyone know he really only does Video analysis and Payne and McGahan are main men looking after backs.

I really hope it rumour though because well Bradley was ruled out of Munster contention because the players said no so will there still be a wedge there ???

Latest posts